No announcement yet.

2010 2011 Transworld Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't in regards to the Haunt Show, but did anyone notice on the HCP floor plan in Vegas the very large Rosemont Convention Center booth right next to the TransWorld's sales office booth? Does anyone know if the retail show is returning to Rosemont next year?

Also, the Haunt Show's floor plan has been updated with more vendors. Some look to be pretty new to the industry.
    Ken Darrigo
    ClearCut Operations, Inc.
    ClearCut Operations | http://www.clearcutoperations.com
    TerrorDome Haunted Scream Park | http://www.terrordome.com

Comment

my Vote

I vote "the middle".
      ANd keep it in one spot, that way, like Chicago, people can get together in the same places year after year, set gathering spots, etc.
      Detroit was cool. I drove by myself, got lost on 8mile and lived to tell the tale! Besides, Erebus was brilliant!
      Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Wow, this is the most fixed poll if I've ever seen one. How is everyone voting for St. Louis when no one has even been to the convention yet? It might be incredible or it may just be a disaster. We'll just have to wait and see. I don't think any of these areas are good choices for voting. But I might change my mind if the haunt show is as good as it's made out to be. I suggest Transworld being in Louisville, KY for 2010. Their convention center is incredible, they have some of the best haunts in the United States and it's just a great place.
        Last edited by Jolly Pumpkin; 02-20-2009, 06:41 PM.
        Spooky Wishes
        Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

It may just be a freak

But I voted and when I did the St. Louis one jumped 2 votes at the same time. And I did not see any there was no members on line. Can visitors vote? Thats why voting should should who and what they voted for. Shane and its maybe its just a freak thing. Shane this time.
          sigpic

Comment

Sorry I've been away for the last few days. And just quickly... I will agree with Noah that as for St. Louis wait until after you come here and then decide. Personally I feel St. Louis is a much better spot for this than Chicago to keep costs more in check. And for the record St. Louis is better located than Indy, but Indy is not far away maybe 3 hours.

St. Louis is called the 'Gateway to the West' and that is the purpose of the Arch. St. Louis in smack in the middle of the east and the west. Back in the old days 99% of the people lived in the east and went through St. Louis to get to the west.

No matter its really a silly debate because no has been to St. Louis yet. We've all been to Orlando, Vegas, Chicago (Rosemont), and I've even been to New Orleans, Dallas, Atlanta, all for IAAPA.

I've been to other cities as well for tradeshows including Fort Lauderdale, Cinncinatti, and several others I can't even think of right now. The main places have always been VEGAS or ORLANDO.

Those are the two biggest in the US for tradeshow, most popular for sure. But can the haunt industry afford most popular, I think that is a NO!

St. Louis visitors convention gets conventions based on giving tradeshow producers the best price, making things as cheap as possible from the space to the hotels. I think we got that and with booths down to 1200 I think its opening the door for more vendors or it should be.

Hotel costs from vegas or chicago specifically are down as much as 50% for the main hotels. There are no toll bridges, there are over 100 places to eat within 3 square miles, there are haunts to tour, events being planned everywhere all cheap, and we have over 100 vendors so far more than we've ever seen before.

What else do you want?

So again give it a chance, see what happens and then make your comments!

Start a new poll then but everyone needs to stop being hypocrates...we say we want things cheaper so you get cheaper but then you say somewhere else would be better, you say you want this or that and then when you get it you say something else...

What is imporant to you outline those items like for example...

1) Cost to attend (cheaper)
            2) Lots of places to stay or eat (cheaper)
            3) A central location or say a warm location
            4) Best place to give vendors the best chance to bring more product

blah, blah, blah

Then analize and decide from there. Eveything is pro vs con some cons here maybe more pros there... don't throw around your opinions based on personal feelings, but rather after fact gathering.

If I based it strickly on personal feelings I'd vote for the Bahamas!!! Or how about on a cruise ship, or in Europe or whatever. They sound fun just like say Orlando but is it practical as a whole for this industry? No I don't think so.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Honestly I really don't care where the convention is being held. It just needs to be in a city that's safe, has a variety of food and fun things to do and has some quality haunts that will be open for the convention. I'm kind of finding it hard to tell the difference between Transworld and Midwest Haunters Convention at this point though. Right now it looks like MHC is going to have more social events, better seminars and workshops, much better deals on their haunt tours and just be an overall better event. Both conventions will have around the same amount of vendors with Transworld having a couple more high profile companies.

Although I thought that Tranworld in Rosemont, IL was the best convention when the haunt show and Halloween show were joined together I'm not really sure about this year. MHC is run by haunters, booths are cheaper and it's just an all around fun event. Can someone tell me what the differences are between MHC and Transworld this year. Please don't say that only buyers are going to Transworld because we all know that's bull shit. There are tons of people that are registering that aren't buyers. I can guaruntee you that.
              Spooky Wishes
              Noah

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly Pumpkin View Post
                Honestly I really don't care where the convention is being held. It just needs to be in a city that's safe, has a variety of food and fun things to do and has some quality haunts that will be open for the convention. I'm kind of finding it hard to tell the difference between Transworld and Midwest Haunters Convention at this point though. Right now it looks like MHC is going to have more social events, better seminars and workshops, much better deals on their haunt tours and just be an overall better event. Both conventions will have around the same amount of vendors with Transworld having a couple more high profile companies.

Although I thought that Tranworld in Rosemont, IL was the best convention when the haunt show and Halloween show were joined together I'm not really sure about this year. MHC is run by haunters, booths are cheaper and it's just an all around fun event. Can someone tell me what the differences are between MHC and Transworld this year. Please don't say that only buyers are going to Transworld because we all know that's bull shit. There are tons of people that are registering that aren't buyers. I can guaruntee you that.
                Don't say the "R" around here. I don't want to hear about how terrible that place is anymore. I don't want to have to type "That if you drive down the street you can find places to eat" anymore.
                Jared Layman

Comment

Again, if it keeps to move... I'll just stop attending. I don't like trying to keep up with a traveling circus. I want to be able to hit this time of year and, without looking it up, know where TW will be, etc. etc.

St. Louis is fine with me... keep it there. -Tyler

PS: Louisville would be great too... still centralized and WAY cheaper than St. Louis!
                  Chris Riehl
                  Sales@spookyfinder.com
                  (586)209-6935
                  www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I think we should do it in Dallas. There are plenty of hotels, two airports with cheap flights and lots of haunted houses to tour.
                    The gods cast the very worst mortal sinners and immortal enemies into TARTARUS for endless punishment, torment and suffering!!!

Comment

Noah,

Here is the difference and its a big one... Transworld spends six figures on marketing MHC doesn't, Hauntcon doesn't, all of those shows combined don't spend a tenth of that money.

This is about QUALIFIED BUYERS for vendors, tradeshows cost a lot of money Noah, its not about booth prices its about travel costs, creating product, hotels, time away from your shop. If you are going to make the investment in a show it will cost you, you need to know without a doubt that the show will deliver QUALIFIED BUYERS!

Noah you do not own a haunted house, hence you are NOT a qualified buyer, now on the other hand you will attend MHC or Hauntcon or whatever but you don't bring the dollars that vendors need to recoup the investment. No offense but these boards and many others are filled with people with opinions many of them in fact, but almost everyone has one thing in common... not a qualified buyer. Almost every single person with an opinion that voices it for MHC, MHC, MHC do not own haunts.

Tradeshows are for people who want to spend money, not go to a dance, or or get into a zombie walk. Again all of those things are fun, and I myself would find all of those things interesting but I'm past those days. I don't have time to attend every single show just because someone produces one. There are too many shows, and most will fail you can bank on that one!

Vendors will not be supporting but maybe two of these shows going forward... if you ask me MHC does the best job at promoting this thing thanks to Barry. Barry is on top of every free opportunity out there.

Take the Hauntworld vendor yellow pages, he's the ONLY event to list, take the time to list. Barry is on top of this stuff for sure.

I think MHC has some value to vendors but has 100 times the value to those who attend. Transworld has some value to those who attend but 100 times more value to the vendor. Do you see what I'm saying?

That is the difference and until MHC or Hauntcon or the show in Philly, or any of these things steps up invests $100,000 to $200,000.00 in marketing it will stay the way it is right now.

For MHC to become the main show here are the things they would have to change to make it happen...

1) Move the show up into March
                      2) Qualify buyers, eliminate the horror fans and actors
                      3) Invest 6 figures into marketing
                      4) Ramp up education which means paying more to speakers
                      5) Eliminate many of the fun things they do and offer

If they diid all this what what MHC be? Not what it is now! Would the cost of booths triple? YES! Would the people who love MHC now not like it as much? YES! MHC has their own niche and it works and you love it, so why change it? Why kick out the actors, and the horror fans, and make it more business and less fun?

Transworld is all business and vendors need qualified buyers showing up at tradeshows not actors, not horror nuts, or people who don't spend money. You know its not free to develope new product with almost NO orders for 3 months, then buy booths, ship product, set it up, pay all the drayage costs, stay in hotels, blah, blah.

To some this is all fun and to others this is how they make a living.

Lets not mix the two together. Let MHC do what they do and let Transworld do what they do and everyone is happy!

Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President

Comment

Noah

Just curious do you go to Transworld? Do you own a haunt or are you a buyer?
                        Jared Layman

Comment

No I am not a haunt owner Larry, but I am a haunt reporter. I will be at Transworld to cover the event for my websites City Blood-Ohio Haunt Reviews (http://www.ohioshaunted.com) and The Halloween Database (http://www.halloweendatabase.com). I may not be spending tens of thousands of dollars, but I will be there and may possibly make some purchases since I will have a luxury bus haunt tour called Destination Fear (http://www.destinationfear.com) in October and will be looking at things to purchase for the event. I will be the only Ohio haunt review website at Transworld covering the event for haunts and haunt enthusiasts in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. So even though I don't own a haunt I'm just as important as anyone else who is going to be at the tradeshow.
                          Spooky Wishes
                          Noah

Comment

hmmm

I know some people are not going to like me.....but this isn't going to stop me from saying what I have to say.

Larry is kind of right....I said kind of......so count to 10 and read now

Transworld....of old.....was a great show to do business.....8 years ago.
                            We made props and sold them through a distibutor named Morris costumes almost 15 years ago.
                            Since then I have been to every Transworld....and some even before then
                            I have seen the show go from suits with BIG money.........to guys in black tshirts and haunt coats. Now I do have the mentioned attire...and am a firm believer in.....what difference does it make I am dressed the way i want to be......but i am making a point. People of all walks of life may have money to spend....but a person with a briefcase and suit looks to be more ready to do business than a guy in a tshirt and jeans......perception is the problem here.....it is profiling at its finest.

All the big costume companies and some of the smaller ones really got tired of seeing the same companies over and over......clothing is a dead give away!!!! How many people come to the booth with the same tshirt on? When you see the groups and you have to entertain 10 people and they aren't the ones doing the buying.....you just waste time.

Now I know everyone is a potential customer....but to Rubies Morris and the others
                            You spending 1000 is nothing compared to some of the orders they take.
                            I am a vendor.....I have seen it a million times......
                            I don't care because we do enjoy making peoples stomach turn by making them smell things that really smell bad! It's what we do.....stench

But if you bring 10 people to the show....that is 10 people who are out there collecting brochures. Now I know we all sit down after getting the brochures from potential vendors then we go back and buy after we sort it all out....I get it.....but they didn't need 10 brochures to make a choice.

There is a huge difference between MHC and TW....no doubt
                            I love MHC....it is fun.....We do the smaller shows to reach the smaller customers
                            After selling smells to the industry for the last 6 years.......I think many people know we are out there but we still do the small shows to keep our name out there.

I do hope the shows pay off this year.....we are producing some costumes to show and it may just move us in a new direction......besides the smells......and we do need to do all the shows to get our new stuff out there...........

Ok back to the real topic............BRING IT BACK TO CHICAGO
                            I will personally take you to an affordable place to eat.....if I have too
                            Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

Noah,

Again don't take this the wrong way but no more or less you are not important to the vendors at the show. Maybe they won't say it but its just the truth. I can tell you right now that I talk to vendors and most of them would prefer if only buyers show up, just like Rubies only wants retail buyers showing up to the Halloween retail show.

I'm not saying you are not an important reporter, or that your site isn't very important to the haunts you cover but to a vendor they are paying a lot of money to stand there on the floor and they want to talk to people who have check books period. This is how they pay their bills, and you are at the you should respect the fact that vendors need to talk to customers not actors, not people who love Halloween but customers.

Vendors have this one crack at selling a lot of product just this one, they have three days to make sales, to recoup their investment, to make enough orders to make it to another Transworld or for that matter to be able to afford to go to MHC or even stay in business.

Noah, I've had vendors tell me if things don't go well at Transworld they could be out of business. This show isn't MHC, its not Hauntcon, its a business to business show. All of your coverage is needed, appreciated, respected, and I for one thank you personally.

But I see all this chatter from people who do not own haunts about what we should do, or whats better, or what we need to change when it comes to tradeshows and I can tell you more or less you are all wrong.

MHC is something special to you and for good reason, its a hybrid right between you and the guy who's making a living at this, its more fun, more for you the show attendee. But lets stop clouding facts, Transworld spends SIX FIGURES or mailing lists, marketing, mailings, advertisement and more to reach and to only go after QUALIFIED BUYERS!

I'm not saying MHC couldn't do this because they can, and maybe the should but you are talking about a full time commitment and an investment of hundreds of thousands of dollars and once that investment is made this show will change cost wise for everyone and many of the things you love so much about MHC will be gone.

So I hope you understand the differences here and lets all stop trying to pit Transworld vs. MHC because its just not fair to either show at all.

Lastly, lets remember that Transworld to vendors is their lifeline, and lets respect their time at the shows and give them more space to sell to their clients this is a very important time for all vendors.

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President

Comment

Originally posted by Infoamtek View Post
                                San Diego may be the most southwestern city in the continental US but it has a LOT to offer. A beautiful convention center center built next to the bay. A great haunted house "The Haunted Hotel" built in the basement of one of the Gaslamp Quarter's old buildings. Sixteen blocks of restaurants and nightclubs including Croce's, built and operated by Jim Croce's widow. The Whaley House, a real haunted house. The San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld, Legoland, and only about 90 miles up the road, Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm. And, of course, some of the best weather in the country.
                                Hey your forgetting "The Haunted Trails of Balboa Park!" hahhaah We are a part of the hotel family!
                                Anyways yeah theres loads of places here to stay as well. But i do suppose its a little out of the way. For most anyway. You should be a tour guide info...and yeah Im still gunna toss San Diego into the hat it may be a little farther but its beautifull, and it has a great convention center.

Comment

Working...
                                X