Chicago 2009 looks solid....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jered...

1 word on Orlando "Expensive" Now everyone else Were going to TransWorld for business not a Vacation so if its a Vacation you want go to Orlando, Vegas,New York,Hollywood, or any other tourist destination. If your going for business and the show itself then I see it as Chicago. Not that I am opposed to Flat Plains South Dakota or any other place as long as we dont have to deal with tourist and vacationers this is a business trip save the Vacation for the family.
    Last edited by graystone; 04-02-2008, 11:18 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Hurricane season ends Nov.1st, it is rare to have a hurricane in Nov. let a lone in Feb. I'm not bust'en on ya xxdrik, just setting things right. You could have rain, in Florida it will rain any time, some times lasting all day and some times its gone in just min.

Originally posted by xxxdirk View Post
      Just a few thoughts. As far as weather, The weather is a gamble any time iof the year and no matter where you go. Have it in Orlando in Feb and there might be a hurricane. I have been to Chicago 6-7 times for transworld and NEVER had a problem with the weather til last year.

Lastly, maybe the fact that it sounds like TW is going to be competeing with the Houston show, they will try to out do them, put on abetter show and be more organized. LOL, this is the EARLIEST I can ever recall seeing any anouncements on any of the TW sites. Normally, it seemed Summer was when they got around to posting ANYTHING?

Oh well, no need to complain or plan or think about TW now. Next up on my schedule is HAUNTCON and then the MWHC, and planning for my October.
      Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Hold on just a minute

It's TransWorld that is pissing me off! Buyers may have to pay to get TO the show, but they don't pay anything to get INTO the show. We vendors have to pay for the privilege of showing our products to you. And each year TW seems to treat its smaller vendors (and some of the bigger vendors too) worse and worse. Heck, it's known among the vendors that TW first let haunters in to bring up the attendance numbers so they could justify jacking the prices up on the booths. When the BIG companies complained about all the non-qualified people running around the floor, TW kicked all the haunters out of the HCP show, only letting them go into certain areas. Of course, they didn't do a good job informing vendors and buyers beforehand, which pissed everybody else off. Many of the smaller vendors who had gotten used to also selling to the haunters who were buyers found themselves outside this "zone" and thereby cut off from potential sales. Once again, TransWorld treats the vendors like crap, because they think they're the only game in town. TransWorld rescinded this order and created the haunt show, creating an uneasy truce. Then two years ago, for some reason never properly explained, they move the show up a month, exposing all to Chicago's finest winter weather (ironic phrase). Sales suffer at many companies when buyers stay away in DROVES. Then TW moves the show to Vegas, forcing Midwesterners to do what us West Coasters have been having to do for years. Shipping stuff out by freight and flying in to the show. (An aside to all those who thought Vegas was expensive, if TW ever has another show there, I'll take you around to all the cheaper places off the Strip.) This move exposed the vendors to new buyers and buyers to new vendors. With NO prior notice, TW announces AT THE VEGAS SHOW they are moving the show back to Chicago, IN JANUARY, even though they had a several year contract with the Sands. (We all know the reason why now.) Once again Transworld jacks its vendors around. Let me state for the record NOW! I would willingly go back to Chicago in March! January is just too dicey weatherwise to gamble the kind of money that is needed for a booth at the show. And it is a big gamble with a lot of money involved. If you have that kind of money to piss away, send it to ME. I really could use it.

An aside to Shane: I wasn't trying to pick on you personally. A lot of haunts bring their crews to what is a TRADESHOW, not a convention. To us vendors, this is often a problem. When there is a large group of non-buyers in front of a booth, it blocks buyers from that booth, thereby driving away sales. It would be akin to having a bunch of people waiting for a bus in front of your ticket booth. A couple of them might be interested, but they are blocking the ticket booth from the customers. Can you see that point? I only singled you out because you brought the subject to mind.

Comment

O town is not "Expensive" Florida is a right to work state. We don't have Unions wanting big money to move something with a fork lift. Theres lots of hotels and their not expensive. Lots of places to eat and a world class convention center. With that said, don't have it in Orlando but having it Chi town in Jan. is insane. I will make a bet with anyone right now that next Christmas on the news we will hear storys about all the people that can not get to were they want to go or get home from were they have been. It happens every year just like you get storys about how much home heating oil is and bla, bla, bla. Chicago should just hang a sign up "ClOSED UNTIL SPRING"lol. (let the beating begin)
          Last edited by SomeThingInTheIce; 04-02-2008, 01:09 PM.
          Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

I agree, I've never found Orlando to be expensive, in fact it's pretty affordable by Vegas standards. It's fun, it's warm, world class attractions and parks, plenty of affordable hotels, etc, etc....

Allan

Comment

I could have sworn in 07 when we where in Chicago and Transworld announced 08 would be in Vegas they also said their presence would be back in Chicago for 09. Does anyone else remember this? I agree it should probably be late Feb or March if it is in Chicago. Doesn't Rosemont have conventions all year round?
              Jared Layman

Comment

I know I am stating the obvious but we are all on the same side here. Vendors need haunters, haunters need vendors. I talk to a lot of haunters who think vendors have it made and that is where the money is at. Maybe some vendors think the haunters have it easier and make the money. The truth is that this is a very tough industry to make money in no matter which end you are working in. No one has it easy.

I posted to this thread mainly to make the point that I go to TW to do the business that I have to do if I want to open my attraction. I have to think most other haunters feel the same. Wherever and whenever it is, I'll go. I really think the weather is not as big an issue as it seems. While winter storms happen in January they are more likely in Feb and March. The weather in October may have more impact on sales. If haunters have a bad season, they won't be spending as much.

Kevin, you make a great point. January really cuts down on the time needed to develop and produce a new product line. It's just that from our end, it seems last year many vendors couldn't deliver due to taking on too much work. I was thinking more time to fill orders would help everyone. Maybe it's a bad idea if vendors can't be ready that early.

A show in Houston at the same time is not good. It means both vendors and haunters have to choose one or the other, not both.

So what's the answer that is best for all of this in the industry? Maybe moving MHC to March? A new show in Feb. or March? I guess it's more up to the vendors to organize and decide how to fix this mess. We will show up where ever you decide to go. The worst thing in my opinion would be several shows with a smaller amount of vendors. Like a lot of haunters, I have a day job and family to consider. Taking 3 or 4 trips a year is not an option.
                Jim H
                Dark Raven Designs
                http://www.darkravendesigns.net

Comment

Transworld is SUCH A CLUSTERCLUCK, We nearly didnt vend at TWVEGAS because they couldnt get their shit together, and lo and behold 3 weeks later they still dont have their shit together, as I recieve a email from TWBRASS, Sorry to hear that you did not attend the show...... we hope you will attend TWCHICAGO. WTF?
                  I really really hope that the PCA show is better organized.....
                  Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Jim,
                    You are right. More time to produce would help vendors fill orders. That is always a good thing.
                    It would just cut down on development time. That is really my main beef.

I really didn't think or know I would like Vegas, but I was wrong. We did well and got orders from alot of entertainers out of Vegas that we have never dealt with before.
                    David Copperfield for one and lots of new haunt owners we had yet to work with from the west coast. Finally got to meet the buyers from Kennywood and Knotts Berry farm.
                    So, it has hard to know how things will go down regardless of where it happens but the date is still an issue.
                    Kevin R. Alvey
                    info at gore-galore.com
                    www.gore-galore.com
                    www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                    www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                    www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Obviously secret agent Bodybagging has covered his tracks very well.
                      Maybe they just need some gooder helperz? Like a haunt needing 20 to run right but doing it with 5. Customers get the short end.
                      My deceased Father and my wife have derivations of the same name for their first names, my Father had hip replacement surgery which later became cancerous, it got cut out and cured then had a stroke a year later and died.
                      A few months ago my wife got a notice from the hospital that she should come in to have her replaced hip looked at.
                      Different genders, different birthdays, different social security numbers, different addresses but as far as the hospital was concerned Jesse and Jessica are the same person, even though most dead people don't usually get many check up reminders in the mail.
                      "How are you?"
                      "Still dead."
                      "Just checking."
                      "OK."
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I for one would like to offer TW the chance to do the show here in Phoenix sometime in June, July or August. That will seperate the men from the boys. That's why we call this patch of paradise scorched earth, but hell, it will be really inexpensive and you can get luxury suite for $ 49.00!
                        Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Maybe we can get Sherriff Arpaio to supply the lunches.

Comment

..or Judge Roy Beans?
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Don't forget

Make sure you invite Gabby Hayes!
                              http://www.b-westerns.com/pals-gh.htm

Comment

NO GABY! When I was a kid in the early 1950's every time I was forced to eat a cake with coconut in the frosting I would visualize it as being some of Gaby Hayse's beard!
                                I did not like coconut at all.
                                The remnants and creatures possibly found in that beard were nightmarish to consider let alone putting them into your mouth!
                                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                                X