District 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• District 9

I saw an advance screening of District 9 and for the most part it was pretty good. It was much better than Transformers 2, but that's not saying much. The basic premise is that an alien space craft has stalled in South Africa because a piece fell off the ship. When the ship is discovered, malnourished aliens are found and eventually put in camps. A group wants to profit off of these aliens by making their weapons usable by humans.

One of the guys in charge of the group accidently ingests alien DNA and starts to transform into one of them. Now He is the most wanted man in America because He's the first to be half man and half Prawn. The only way the aliens can restart their ship that has been stalled in mid air for 20 years is to find alien DNA and the only way this guy can become human again is to go with the aliens.

Well that's the basic premise and for the most part it was enjoyable, but focused too much on the transfromation of the main character instead of how the aliens lived among humans. The special effects were awesome, but it seems like the movie could have been much better. There were mixed reactions from the crowd. There were some people who liked it while others seem dissapointed.

I'm a little of both. I was expecting more of a battle between aliens and humans and more focus on how the aliens interacted with humans while trying learn their ways. District 9 will be number one at the box office, but I don't see it breaking box office records anytime soon.
    Spooky Wishes
    Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Woow!

Great Review!
    I feel like i just read a PRO review only better! : }
    sigpic
    PEACE, ADAM
    www.poisonprops.com

Comment

I agree, great review. Anything with Peter Jacksons name on it can't be too bad. It's no Lord of the Rings though.
      http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

So what's the verdict? See it first day it's out, whenever it's convenient, or wait for the DVD?

It sounded kind of like Alien Nation (remember that one?) when I first heard about it.

Comment

You should definately see it since it's pretty original compared to other action movies that have come out this summer. But you may not be as blown away as some of the crtitics have been. There are some moments in the movie that are genius, but then there are parts that are pretty lame. It's nothing like Alien Nation since the aliens in that series were pretty human like. I would suggest that you see a matinee.
          Spooky Wishes
          Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

Saw this movie late last night and still not sure what i thought of it lol. It was a good movie but it seemed to drag out in sections alot. I get it you're shooting the aliens, i get it you are transforming into one of them, i get it you like to kill the aliens, at some points i just found myself going "ok come on lets move it along here" i also was sick and tired by the end of the movie by the gratuitous amount of profanity, the F word was used so much it made my stomach turn. Wasnt happy with the ending, it just seemed to cut things off really really short.

The awesome thing about this movie though is that it makes you think, about your life and about society in general. It deals with themes like prejudices the way we see culture, and the way we accept differences in people. Very very good movie from a sociological standpoint, the interaction between the two species in the movie was fascinating to watch play out. They had a few scenes in there that tugged at my heartstrings for the poor aliens. Kudos to them for making that possible. It was a very different way to go about making an alien movie.

Overall my grade is a C+

Jackie
            Rotting Flesh Radio
            “Happiness is the sublime moment when you step out of your corset at the end of the night.”

“Actors love mental disorders, dialects, and corsets. Give them one of the three and they're happy.”

Comment

Could get nominated as one of the best pictures of 09'. Don't miss it. For a film with only a quarter of the budget of it's competition it's downright spectacular.

Comment

Working...
              X