Top 13 Best Haunts 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jared its sad!

I think I got a good haunt. I don't know what the best is and its times like this I wonder why I never have any video footage taped. Either way I know most of the members here all have awsome haunts! Shane and its videoless! Shane this time!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mindtumor View Post
      Man I get sick of the top 13 haunts as voted on by other haunt owners each year. If we are going to keep doing these superlatives each year lets figure out a way to get the patrons opinion not ours. Half the time we vote on these top attractions by just looking at video and pictures instead of actually visiting them. In my opinion the top 13 issue is always the worst one for the year.
      Amen....

That's why I suggested Larry let 6 - 10 roving reporters hit each region and start doing more than just the "BIG BOYS w/ BIG TOYS" haunts. There are a lot of great haunts across the country and I'm tired of hearing about the same ones over and over and over and over.... The Magazine is called HAUNT WORLD not BEST of HAUNT WORLD.

But again.... My opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by mindtumor View Post
        Man I get sick of the top 13 haunts as voted on by other haunt owners each year. If we are going to keep doing these superlatives each year lets figure out a way to get the patrons opinion not ours. Half the time we vote on these top attractions by just looking at video and pictures instead of actually visiting them. In my opinion the top 13 issue is always the worst one for the year.
        It's not because the same haunts get picked all the time that I don't like the top 13, I just think it is a stupid concept. We all look at videos and pictures and then vote? And this has nothing to do with me because I don't belong in the top 200. It just seems ridiculous that we hold a "contest" and vote on haunts that 99.9% have not nor will ever see. Then on top of it we start putting it on our advertising, "Voted Hauntworld's top 13 as voted on by people that have not nor will they ever see it, but they must know" Plus almost all of us are haunted house owners not patrons.
        Jared Layman

Comment

Well the fair thing to do would just have everyone vote on haunts they've been to before. If you haven't been to the haunt then don't vote for it and that includes Netherworld, Spookywoods, The Darkness etc. Even if they are top rated you can't vote for them unless you've been to them within the last year. Honestly that would be the only fair way to vote for haunts. You can't beat first hand experience, but I guess the closest thing to that would be videos which few haunts seem to be able to produce. So unless you've been to the haunt, don't even mention it.
          Spooky Wishes
          Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

I think one thing we could do, and I believe this has been mentioned by others already, is keep things the way they are and instead of calling them top 13 haunts call them 13 must see or 13 featured haunts. Then make sure no haunt is on there twice. Calling them the top 13 haunts is just false because the reality is if they really WERE the top 13 haunts the list wouldn't hardly ever change. Let's just not be silly and just call it what it actually is.
            Jared Layman

Comment

Guys I don't know

Its a hard call! I wish there was a way for a group to go out and visit these haunts. I know Bens been to like a ton of them and maybe as a owner he could help say what he thinks should and should not go on. Then again its gonna put him in a bad spot as a haunt owner.

Guys I just really don't know. I don't reply much on threads where its the top this and that because again... HONESTLY I CANT SAY WHAT IS AND WHATS NOT! Shane and its good luck on this process it sounds like a headache! Shane this time.

P.S. Guys do any of you remember the movie A League Of Their Own with Tom Hanks and Gina Davis? ( This is one of my top 5 all time favorite movies) Anyway remember the part of the kid that keeps saying " Your gonna loose. Your gonna loose" Lmao this keeps ringing through my head with this thread and for the life of me I don't know why!!!!
              Last edited by graystone; 06-03-2009, 09:29 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

I say we just stop doing it. There isn't a realistic system we could use so therefore we should discontinue it. Do 13 featured haunts or something.
                Jared Layman

Comment

The bottom line is Larry is doing this list so that all haunts benefit from the PR, weather they are on the list or not. When the list goes out to the media, the stories it generates get people in the mood to visit haunts. There is no way in hell to make everyone happy or an objective way to pick the best haunts because everyone's opinion is so different.

To my knowledge, last year was the first year he let people vote. Before that he would just pick the haunts he felt would make a good list. For example I have never been to the Netherworld but I know it is one of the best around because of all the information, photos and videos about it.

There are some incredible haunts out there and that doesn't change weather they are on the list or not.
                  I admit being on the list is great for marketing and exposure, I have seen this first hand. But does that
                  make my haunt any better or worse if we are on the list one year and off the next? I strive to improve each
                  year and document as much of the process with photos and videos as possible so when times like this arise
                  we have something to show the industry and the public what we are all about.

Some fine haunts have been nominated so far this year and in the past. I think it's great the list will be expanded to include the Best Hayrides, Best Corn Mazes, Best Pumpkin Patch Event, Biggest Screamparks, Home Haunts, Theme Parks and Haunted Houses. This will bring more exposure our way during October and we need all the help we can get with the economic downturn.

Good luck to whoever makes it and thanks to Larry for doing it to further promote the industry.

Eric
                  www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Just be honest and call it what it is. We don't have to make stuff up to get exposure. This has nothing to do with Larry or what he is doing for the industry. Let's get that out there right now because it isn't a critism of him or anything he has done. It is just a discussion on either changing a procedure or what something is called. And besides we aren't talking about anyone handing a list of top haunts to the media to get us exposure, we are talking about what kind of article in the next Hauntworld magazine we want to read. So to be clear the debate is "Do we want to keep voting on these top 13 lists every year with the possibility of seeing the most of the same haunts each year or do we want 13 new must see haunts in the magazine each year".
                    Last edited by mindtumor; 06-03-2009, 11:54 AM.
                    Jared Layman

Comment

i defnetly dont agree

what is more important reading an article or giving haunts exposure.
                      its crazy how many different media and news post this on there site and such.
                      if your haunt is on this list, try google searching your haunt before the press release and after. its remarkable.
                      and just to get people talking about haunted houses in july and stuff helps everyone.
                      so this is much larger than just what article were going to read.
                      Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

Even if the procedure was changed to exactly how you want it there will always be someone to complain. If you read the Hauntworld with the list last year there were no articles on any of the haunts, just a list.

If I were to guess, the issue in July will feature Graystone Manor and Atrox, which I am looking forward to. I doubt there will be 13 other articles no matter who makes the list. It's Larry's magazine and he can come up with any procedure, list or whatever he feels like.

Some will love it and others will complain, that's just the way it is. There is no stopping anyone from coming up with another best haunts, best new haunts or whatever. AOL has one and a bunch of others all using different criteria and they are all different but they are still good for exposure about haunted attractions.

I'm sure you get the same comments on your attraction. I have had people tell me it's the best thing they have ever seen and some that complained it was too expensive, not long enough etc. I think that is why Larry has been successful because he doesn't try to please everyone because that is impossible.

Eric
                        Last edited by elowther; 06-03-2009, 01:03 PM.
                        www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Again you are arguing about something different. You keep coming back to your argument on how people will complain about whatever procedure is used to determine whatever. I am not talking about that because there is no procedure and that is a different arguement (however, I do find the top 13 silly). I am talking about what kind of an article I would like to see being a subscriber to the magazine. You keep saying Larry can do whatever he wants yet he is also always asking what article would you like to see in the next issue. If he doesn't want suggestions on articles then he can stop asking for them.

I suggest discontinue the top 13 change it to a featured 13 and always feature new haunts with a quick little blurb on what may make them must see or unique, we don't have to have full articles.

You can go make any list you want for media exposure for all I care.
                          Jared Layman

Comment

How about adding a best trailer haunt category, I know there are many of us out here who do haunts in trailers or mobile homes, we're professional and many do tens of thousands in attendance, but I feel we can't be categorized against a haunt that's in a regular standing structure (building), if there's a list for home haunts and amusement parks, us trailer haunts should be represented too!

Comment

Last year I thought it was fair... people posted those videos and people voted. Ask Patti she will tell you... we had over 500 or more people vote.

Now I'm setting up a system on Hantworld so I can create these ballot ONLINE! Right now however I'm trying to figure exactly the best way to do this and will post something on it soon.

The Hauntworld list has gained a lot of attention for the industry, and that is a great thing. I'm thinking about putting together a panel who will vote on the list based on the owers sending in WALK THRU TOURS WITH A CAMERA. I already have some people who did this and I'm impressed.

Here is the bottom line you can say whatever you want but due to having these lists I've no you've no we all have discovered some amazing haunts such as: 13th Gate, House of Tournment, Haunted Overload just to name a few. I had never heard of any of those haunts and well if I go back and look at the lists I'd probably be able to tell you a story about each one, about how I never heard of this one or that one until the owner exposed themsevles to our industry.

Without those lists House of Tournament may never have posted on these forums all the photos on their attraction same with many others. Look at all the videos we got to watch and see last year! All good things to help us learn and grow.

I have been distracted lately with other things... give me a few days.

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President
                              www.HalloweenProductions.com
                              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I cast another vote for Haunted Overload... you already know why (giant props, awesome setting, old-school halloween themes, etc).

A haunt that sometimes gets overlooked is "The Realm of Darkness" in Pontiac, Michigan. Given its very close proximity to "Erebus" (a world-class haunted house in its own right), "The Realm of Darkness" sometimes gets passed over for "Best Of" lists... I guess people don't want to put two haunts from the same city on the same "best of" list, regardless of how great the haunt is?

I've been to both haunts over the years, and some years "Erebus" is better. Other years, it's "The Realm of Darkness". It's a back-and-forth battle, year by year. Due to an off-season flood in the attraction, "The Realm of Darkness" was forced to renovate and create new scenery, props, etc. for sections of the haunt. The results are stunning.

I cast a vote for "The Realm of Darkness". Their level of set detail is astonishing. Their theme is original... An interactive midevil battle against an undead wizard and his legions, in which you can actually win twice your money back?!? What's not to like??

There is ONE "The Realm of Darkness" video floating around the net, but unfortunately it was shot BEFORE last year's renovations:

Last edited by DarkTikiEntertainment; 06-03-2009, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X