No announcement yet.

Top 13 Best Haunts 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jolly Pumkin we can't put Home haunts on this list, putting even one really cool home haunt would be a slap in the face to EVERY pro haunt out there. Different catagories would be great, adding a home haunt up against House of Torment, no way.
    Decorating your yard does not compare to doing it professionally, not even close. Also, Nick deserves credit yes, but there are many out there like him and every one who started their haunt from scratch deserves equal credit regardless of age. Not pointing this to you Nick, but some 16 year olds might have wealthy parents or relatives, and luck into an ideal piece of land or property for free or very cheap. Then you have the 40 year old not earning a whole lot and has to scratch his way to opening a pro haunt around work and taking care of his family, the latter sounds a hell of lot tougher to me than being 16 and having no real worries...Think about it.
    All haunters should be commended and to be on the list it's about where your pro haunt is ranked against other pro haunts, the ones on there deserve recognition for working and becomming better than their peers. Also, is should be about who's haunt is the best not about who posts the most and updates everyone on these boards. That's why I like the House of Torment nomination again they do not post often and they are still getting recognized!

Darkangel

Comment

Did you read my post? I said that if there is a home haunt category then Hells Gate should be put on the list. I never said that there had to be a home haunt category, but if there is Hells Gate should be on it. There are a lot of incredible haunts that start off as home haunts and eventually transition into becoming professional, so I think there should be a category set aside for home haunts. Haunted Overload, one of the most talked about pro haunts in the world started off as a home haunt and look at them now.

If you think they aren't important then you are sadly mistaken. Now I'm not talking about yard displays with cheap fog machines and Halloween Inflatables. I'm talking about walk through attractions with props, lighting, themed rooms, actors, etc. These home haunts are comparible to many charity haunts.
      Spooky Wishes
      Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

Yes, then there should be a separate catagory. Also, I've seen footage of videos from home haunts that were stunning, much better than anyone on these current boards videos. No one said they aren't important, just not on the level pf pros and this is coming from someone who did a home haunt for many years.

Comment

I say compile a list from what everyone suggest on here. Maybe post some utube video so we can actually see some of the ones nominated. Anyone else who wants to be nominated post a utube vid and go from there. If your pressed for time set a deadline and then have everyone vote by then. Again my vote goes to the Darkness & Nether World and Haunted Overload. Mainly for the attention to detail. How they better themselves year after year. And how they always seem to come up with something new and fresh every season.
          Damon
          Damon Carson

Comment

i am against every single thing that you stated.
            but im not going to argue with you. i simply dont have the time.
            your made up concepts (opinions) are your own.

but as a note, if you think i have no other worries, you are sadley mistaken.
            and also, not a single thing you said applies to me.
            and if you have enough time to come on these forums to argue with me, you should put your time to better use.

Thank you Noah for nominating us, and yes there is a home haunt category, there always has been. lets hope larry keeps it.
            Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

I believe the world needs to see haunts not listed in previous year's. Maybe not a BEST OF but
              a Have You Seen: Magazine Article.

Over the year's the best do seem to stay close to the same ones... so why not start an article called - Haunts to See in 2010! (Sure you can do your best of... but as Larry stated - there are some sleepers out there or haunts that don't get 50,000 people - that are doing some cool stuff.)

Sadly my best of list would be the normal big ones that always do an amazing job:
              EREBUS
              NETHERWORLD
              BATES MOTEL
              And Shane did not pay me to say this:
              Graystone

Maybe Larry needs to look into getting reporters from each area (Southeast, Northeast, Midwest, Central, South Central, Southwest, Northwest that travel the areas and visit all the haunts and do articles on each and every one and over the next 7 - 12 years we expose them all to the world through Hauntworld Magazine? 2 Articles per year covering 10+ haunts each article. Random yet effeciently looking at each and giving everyone a chance for their 5 minutes of fame. I would even volunteer to cover my area.

Just a thought - as the BEST is such an overused and under determined statement. Everyone has something GOOD and we are the BEST at some area... but to rate and rank is a bunch of B/S and who truly rates haunts?
              Tangent: There are 3 #1 rated haunted houses in Chattanooga alone... Who the hell rated them? And I'm sure that everyone has that same marketing ploy and battle in each area...

So forget who is #1 - let's write an article about Haunts in each region and give a review of the people, the teams and the overall perspective from each haunt owner. You are all #1 in my book - be it Home Haunter, Actor, or Pro Haunt.... So let's see what makes you tick and learn from each other - instead of tooting our #1 horn - let's read about your #1 Haunt and the people behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Nightmarez View Post
                I believe the world needs to see haunts not listed in previous year's. Maybe not a BEST OF but
                a Have You Seen: Magazine Article.

Maybe Larry needs to look into getting reporters from each area (Southeast, Northeast, Midwest, Central, South Central, Southwest, Northwest that travel the areas and visit all the haunts and do articles on each and every one and over the next 7 - 12 years we expose them all to the world through Hauntworld Magazine?

Expanding on your "Have you Seen" suggestion, what about helping promote haunts in states that traditionally aren't huge haunt areas... like say... Virginia?! For whatever reason our state has a difficult time attracting casual haunt fans... and our diehard haunt fans travel to other states. We're, of course, trying to change this.

For example, this year our haunt in Richmond, Blood Lake Haunted House, has been in discussions with Darkwood Manor Haunted House in Luray and Wicked Woods Haunted Forest in Spotsylvania to partner with either a "haunt package" or at the very least have a flyer with all our logos and information that we'll pass around.

We even started a "Central Virginia Haunted House Enthusiasts" group on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=50103712122). Anything to try and grow haunting in Virginia!

- Ryan
                Last edited by Haunts of Richmond; 05-21-2009, 04:06 PM.

Blood Lake Haunted House & Haunts of Richmond Ghost Tours
                www.bloodlakeva.com www.hauntsofrichmond.com
                Located in Richmond, VA

Comment

Exactly!

I would love to know more about these haunts as (Ben, Ed, Larry - forgive me) We all know about Netherworld, Erebus, and The Darkness... So get some more flavor and exposure to more haunts - even if the articles are smaller. HAUNTWORLD should include all haunts - not just the ones with the most money....

Comment

ok lets make this a quick thing

Dent SchoolHouse-Some of the best detailing and things ive ever seen in a haunted house

100 Acre Manor-Its one Long haunted house from start to finsh the scares never stop!

Mystery Manor-First its been there for 25 years! Second, its not your typical Haunted house they train there actors in theater and illusions, so you never know whats going to be around that next corner....and they have a slide...Come on that just screams FUN
                    Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

Nick,

Trust me, the mere fact that you can even do a haunt at your home shows you have no real worries!!! I've seen your pics, you seem to come from a nice home, you have good friends and supportive family you're doing just fine. Most teenage boys think they have worries, like getting that term paper in on time, worried if that girl you like will go to the prom with you, and negotiating with your parents to drive you to the store as soon as that next hot video game comes out...

Trust me, when you get to college you'll look back and realize you had no worries at 16! Enjoy your youth and the lack of responsibility now because all too soon it comes time for student loans, car payment, mortgage or rent, food and utilities and taking care of not only yourself but a family, that's real stress as many of us can attest.

However, I do commend you on your dedication to your haunt and the time you've put into to it you have a great future in this industry if you can stay the course!

Tater, those are 3 great choices I would like to see more of those haunts as well!

Darkangel

Comment

-thanks for the advice.
                        -but let me trust you, ive got much more on my plate than you think.
                        -i mean for gods sake, im running the biggest halloween event in our city!

i dont believe you own a haunt do you....

if you honestly want to talk.... private message me or email me at nick@hellsgatehaunt.com
                        this is not what this thread is about.
                        Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

I've owned several, worked at many. Check your pm...

Comment

Recently a non-haunter came on this site and asked if there were any "Year-round" haunted houses since he was going to be traveling across the country.
                            He said several responded to his question and said he had to see The Ravens Grin Inn.
                            I asked him if those responding were named "Jim Warfield" "Mr. Tuxedo", "J. Warfield"?
                            hahahahaha!
                            He was that writer for "Geek " Magazine.
                            My question to him was :"How many times can your magazine have a centerfold of a guy biting the head off of a chicken?"
                            He said the article might not be published for a few months.
                            I told him it might be a bigger help to my business if it was later in the summer..or fall?
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Mr. Nightmarez!

Thanks for the mention. Its just nice to have someone mention Graystone. And while I am at it I would like to bring up a name and thats Paul and the Guys at Atrox! Shane and its I am honored! Shane this time!
                              Last edited by graystone; 05-21-2009, 06:43 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

100 Acres Manor was amazing to walk thru and to work. They have some dedicated kids that staff that place and it runs beautifully. If anyone gets the chance to work there make sure they take you out on the balcony. You can see everyone in the giant maze from there running about little little lab rats.

Jackie
                                Rotting Flesh Radio Haunt Hottie
                                “Happiness is the sublime moment when you step out of your corset at the end of the night.”

“Actors love mental disorders, dialects, and corsets. Give them one of the three and they're happy.”

Comment

Working...
                                X