Darkness 2010 Transworld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkness 2010 Transworld

I again wanted to THANK EVERYONE who has called, emailed or came to me personally and told me it was the most elaborate haunted house they have ever seen. Endless amounts of people have told us over and over and over again they left inspired and couldn't wait to get home and work on their haunts.

Our goal from day one was to build the BEST HAUNTED HOUSE you have ever seen... we accomplished that with flying colors. Everyone was amazed at the detail, the special effects, and some people said we gave up on 3D until we saw your 3D haunted house. All of those comments made all the hard work worth the effort. I especially loved hearing all of the 'JUST LIKE DISNEY'... I love Disney.

Who has the best haunted house is totally subjective to the style and taste of the person going through but I think there is little doubt that The Darkness is one of the best haunts you've seen. We worked our butts off to put produce one of the best haunted houses you've ever seen in your life. We wanted to inspire everyone who owned a haunted house to return home knowing you can do more, you can think bigger, we wanted you to help you think of ways to make your haunt bigger than ever.

Now for all the people who want to offer tips on how to scare people, or saying 'one day it could be scary'... LOL.

Noah said that anyone can build a great looking haunted house but not everyone can make a haunted house scary... WRONG! DEAD WRONG! Most haunted houses do not look great, do not have Hollywood level detail and what not but do scare the pants off people. Actually Noah its the other way around my friend...

If you don't know how to scare someone GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS because that is the MOST important aspect of running a successful haunted house. People are paying to be scared first and foremost!

But what actually seperates a haunt that is doing a great job scaring someone and a haunt that is getting zillions of people through the door... DETAIL and SCARES! One haunt is doing a great job scaring but has little to no real solid production value!

My GOAL with this TOUR was to help you UNDERSTAND PRODUCTION VALUE... did we score a 10+? That was my ONLY GOAL...

All the posts I made from day one was about this subject, all my comments the whole way through was about detail, and animations we built to scare groups of people, or whatever. Scaring you was not the plan assuming that most HAUNT OWNERS wanted to see an amazing haunt.

Do I know how to scare, not only do I know how but I will show you. I don't think I talked to ONE person who said the opposite of this 'we didn't care about the scares we wanted to see the haunt...'. This was the focus and we delivered.

The bottom line is we had to build a building, we had to do all the safety stuff, we had to renovate the darkness, we built special animations, we even produced hauntworld magazines, went to tradeshows, and installed 4 attractions all inside of FOUR MONTHS!

Try doing that at home... LOL!

I will be honest so many LITTLE THINGS slipped through the cracks because the focus was the BIG stuff like a 17,000 square foot building that had to go up before you came. We were still trying to to put a sidewalk in which didn't happen, we were still trying to paint Terror Visions... Ask Rich Strelak on Thursday afternoon our painters where still painting Terror Visions. For us this was the BIG PICTURE!

YOUR VISUAL EXPEREINCE!!!

Not having radios killed us, the costume room was a mess never touched it, not knowing that we had all the scare devices we use, couldn't find them, no where to be found, having tons of people who never even set one foot in the place ever well those things all where not worked on. I DO NOT RUN THE DARKNESS... I RUN CREEPYWORLD!

I will say this... being in that actors room and seeing just how hard it is to find stuff woke me up... I'm tearing the whole thing out next week and building a WORLD CLASS actors room so the people I do leave behind to run Darkness can do it more effectivly. SO this was a great experience for me let me tell you...

NO MATTER... had we done what most other tours do which is freshen up and open up we would have scared the CRAP out of you... we didn't do that that wasn't the plan. We wanted to showcase detail, showcase design, effects, and how to take your haunt to another level.

SO SOME OF YOU WHO POST ON FORUMS WANT TO BE SCARED??????

As far as I'm concerned I personally can scare a TIGER... LOL! You want scares I'll show you scares...

In 2010 Transworld Show St. Louis... we will charge $25.00 for a ticket to our tour. We will NOT offer NO OTHER TOUR but one night only $25.00 ticket to TERROR!

We will NOT CHANGE ONE WALL, NOT ONE SCREW, NOT ONE ANIMATION, we will do NOTHING but focus on showing you the Darkness is chalk full of scare points, and that St. Louis has some of the best scaring actors in the WORLD! Not only that but I will install cameras and video tape all the action to be played back on YOUTUBE all of you HAUNTERS WHO CAN NOT BE SCARED crawl out of the place! LOL

I will also activate our SCREAM CAMS ... so those of you who do NOT attend Transworld in 2010 can watch all the fun at home.

Couple other things... I will hang our signs on the walls, I will put up our outside facade, I will acivate our ticket booth, I will re-install our outside music all things we did NOT do for this tour because it couldn't be done.

I will have our outside que line actors going I will do all of that for one reason...

You want to see the haunted house like you'd see it in October? THEN I CAN'T BUILD A BUILDING, BUILD TWO NEW HAUNTS, AND TEAR THE OLD ONE DOWN AND REBUILD IT ALL IN FOUR MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need MORE TIME to focus on the show and not building the show...

So there you have it...

You know what if any of you think you could have done all the stuff we had to do just to open the doors I'd like to see it... and if you do I will be the first to shake your hand and tell you great job!

2010... NO PROMISES are beng made for a renovated haunted house, just open up as is and make you SQUEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....come on now squeal!!!! LOL

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

An email is going out today to EVERYONE who bought a ticket to our Darkness Transworld tour ... thanking them for their support.

Also we will be emailing everyone FREE TICKETS... TWO FREE tickets to every single person who bought a ticket to come back September through November and see both The Darkness AND Creepyworld in acton during the season.

If what you wanted was to see our two events in action with well trained actors, a tweaked show so to speak then come out this September through October and you will have TWO FREE TICKETS to both Creepyworld and Darkness ON ME!

If you can't make it then you can come back next March and see it for yourself!

Thanks again to everyone!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President

Comment

You're right Larry. But I said that any haunt can build sets and use high end animatronics. I didn't say that anyone can build a great looking haunt. You have an awesome looking haunt no doubt, but there are some areas that need to be worked on before it can be near perfect or deserve the high ratings it's got over the years. Either way you should be proud because you're haunt is loved by many people and Saturday many were blown away while others weren't. I am one of the people who wasn't blown away in every way. But I was impressed by the amount of detail that The Darkness has.
      Last edited by Jolly Pumpkin; 03-31-2009, 03:46 PM.
      Spooky Wishes
      Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

To me, it is always hard to judge a haunt when you are going through with the mind set as a haunter. We spend so much time studying that it is impossibe to react like a typical customer and it is hard to judge a haunt when there are a bunch of 15 year old girls behind or in front of me. Besides not going through the haunt at the 8pm start time as my ticket said and not entering until 9:25, two things that stand out in my mind is NO cue line entertainment and the Jungle area seemed to be WAY too long. I mean, how many square feet is just going from one jungle scene into another jungle scene? Maybe it would have been broken up if there were more actors or scares, but I actually felt myself getting bored. Once we got upstairs it was much more satisfying and I had fun and picked up a few good ideas from the haunt and the 3d area....

Ron
        www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Larry

I can say this man your a sales man for sure LOL. This year it was about looks so you played that aspect to get people in. Looks like you accomplished that. So now your gonna add thousands of actors to get everyone back that will be a much harder sell the way I look at it. Hummmm its going to be a close call brother. Its an interesting take for sure and guess we will see how it pans out in the end .What is still on the minds of everyone ( I think anyway) is the fact that they had to stand in the rain and wait in the cold. You could have rented a tent. My rental company has a 100x100 that will fit 2500 people under it and I am sure there was tons of rental companies in St. Louis. Dont get me wrong Larry we had a good time but we and especially the ones that paid the $150.00 I think should have been catered to more. You cant say I will deal with that later and then say I will apologize later it leaves a bad taste. The offer of $25.00 for next year seems to come off as an after thought.

Will you be doing this on the same night as my dinner which will be by the way Thursday night or Wednesday night depending on when the show starts? It will always be a pre-Transworld dinner hosted by me from here on out. So I hope that it will be a night I can attend if I want to. I would like the same respect from you as I got from my other peers and give you a personal invite right now.| Shane and its it did look nice. Shane this time.
          Last edited by graystone; 03-31-2009, 04:12 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxdirk View Post
            To me, it is always hard to judge a haunt when you are going through with the mind set as a haunter. We spend so much time studying that it is impossibe to react like a typical customer and it is hard to judge a haunt when there are a bunch of 15 year old girls behind or in front of me. Besides not going through the haunt at the 8pm start time as my ticket said and not entering until 9:25, two things that stand out in my mind is NO cue line entertainment and the Jungle area seemed to be WAY too long. I mean, how many square feet is just going from one jungle scene into another jungle scene? Maybe it would have been broken up if there were more actors or scares, but I actually felt myself getting bored. Once we got upstairs it was much more satisfying and I had fun and picked up a few good ideas from the haunt and the 3d area....

Ron
            Ron! I finally remembered what I was going to tell you at TW! Check your PM box.
            Sarah Meier
            Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
            "Words they remember you by"

Comment

IF ANYONE DOUBTS I KNOW AS MUCH OR MORE THAN ANYONE YOU KNOW about how to train, operate, and scare people you are nuts! It just wasn't done because the haunt just never got finished.

Ask Rich Strelak, Jim UpChurch, Robert McBroom... all whom I want to THANK big time! We had Rich, Jim and Robert helping us on Wed night all night long finish building sets, lighting, I was at antique stores buying chairs, props and hauling them in on Wed night. We had painters painting, they came back to fnish on Thusday afternoon!

We were working on lighting in the daytime on Thursday. We had no way to know power breakers where overloaded and would trip until all you guys walked in front of everything at the SAME TIME! LOL

This was NOT like turning on a haunted house that had or has been in operation for years... this was ALL NEW! All of the eletric in both buildings was NEW NEVER TESTED!

The new building still is NOT done, they are putting bricks on the outside still right now, they are starting to finish the sidewalks even today, the building has no gutters, still needs two fire safety doors and you get it.

We tried to finish a breathtaking haunt... I posted long before we could not focus on actors. I just wish I would have inspected the actors room because that is what caused the delay to open that on no radios.

Personally I'm happy I was putting the actors in the costumes on Saturday, so I could see the problems with the actors room. It will be rebuilt from scratch... I'm having it torn out on Monday.

Bottom line is I feel 110% happy with what we accomplished and if anyone would say that wasn't one of the best haunted house they have ever seen they are just outright on crack!

I will tell you we nearly killed ourselves trying to do this...

NEVER AGAIN... LOL

NEVER AGAIN! I will wait until afte the Transworld show to renovate and wait on seeing all the new cool stuff all the vendors have to offer like everyone else does. I really felt bummed out at the show because I saw some stuff I'd love to have but couldn't afford anything. We're broke!

Seriously BROKE!

Not only that but we alreadly re-built the haunt so now we can't add anything and that was kinda a bummer. I get inspired by some of the stuff I see at the shows and it makes me want to build new sets. None of that at this years show... for that reason this was the must bummer show I've attended.

So I will not do all of this again. Too expensive. Too much time spent. Too much work and too much stress.

Next year we will just open up, I'll work on getting the actors together for a month just like we would if we opened in September. We'll focus on operation, we'll open 10 minutes early, and we'll have radios that work! LOL

Bottom line we accomplished everything we wanted to accomplish. I feel great about it based on all the awesome comments I have been given!

We'll see you next year with a different agenda and a different plan... SCREAMS! I've laid down the hammer... next year you can hold my feet to the fire if you don't get scared and come out crying!!!!

LOL

Larry

PS: NOAH... we do have areas that need to be worked on such as tweaking the lighting, tweaking the sound, little stuff. Your comments about scares or us not having any scare area's is wrong... Noah we have some of the best scare spots you will ever find in a haunt. Next time you are in town I will show you myself you will be amazed at how well hidden they are, you couldn't see them because they are camoflauged into the detail like nothing you have ever seen. If someone didn't use them that is another story all together. We don't need help scaring people, we don't need to modify anything... just FOCUS on what is important making our guests scream. We have been in business Noah for 20 years scaring people, if people didn't get scared they would never come back.

We just didn't have time to focus on opening everything and operations. Just couldn't do it... if the show was a month later as I posted on these forums for the past two months we could have. We have SIX MONTHS before we open Noah SIX! We'll get it done just not in March with everything else we did.
              Larry Kirchner
              President

Comment

Well, I know we can't wait until the 2010 show... just let us know when tickets go on sale and we'll be there. No way we're missing this! -Tyler
                Chris Riehl
                Sales@spookyfinder.com
                (586)209-6935
                www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Larry.
                  I had fun!... I also told the actors that did a go job.."That they were doing a good Job".

Thank them all for Me...

THANKS..
                  Phantom

Comment

Who do these people think they are for cutting him down on all the things that weren't done? Anyone is this business knows the challenges we face---year after year---no matter how long we've been doing this. Perhaps these complainers should slap themselves for paying $100.00-$150.00 to see this haunted house!! What the hell were they expecting? I can spend a whole day at Disney for alot less than that. I DID, however, pay the big dollar and did not set my expectations too high; I feel I got what I paid for. I saw some things that I can take back to my attraction and implement. I have certainly pissed away $100.00 in my attraction before and have nothing to show for it!!! As long as I came away with an idea or two (which I did, and more), I am satisfied. If I didn't like something Larry did, I don't need to complain, I just won't make the same mistake in my attraction. I could consider this a $100.00 lesson in what NOT to do, right? Perhaps as individuals and together as an industry, we should worry less about what others are or are not doing and focus on how we can learn, teach and share with one another in order to help everyone get better."

Comment

Larry,

I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH about how good it makes me feel that you want to make the actors room a success. It is the begining and the end.

Jason Blaszczak

Comment

So is a tour of Creepy World for next year out? If the weather isnt any better than this past T.W. it may be best just to do the Darkness.
                        Damon
                        Damon Carson

Comment

I enjoyed everything except the weather and the timed ticketing. If a person buys a ticket and waits in line they must simply wait until it is their turn. They can be entertained and still have a good time waiting. But if you have a ticket with a printed time and you are two hours late then you are going to be pissed no matter what. Because the ticket says you should have been in and out already. But this was a valuable lessen I learned. It only cost me a few bucks to decide against time ticketing. The haunt was great. And look on the bright side Larry that haunt is ready for action and you don't have to worry about it again until Sept.
                          Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

Comment

Good job Larry,

Everyone had alot of fun and loved your haunt!!! This does not shock me, this haunt holds to much love to be a failure...

Jason

Comment

I've said it once, I'll say it again, anyone who opens off season so we can go through, thank you.

As far as the complaining about timed ticketing and waiting in the cold, here's a couple things to think about.

It was opening night, and opening night off season, haunt owners, actors, staff, etc. do you open right on time on opening night? In as long as I've been doing this, we've never opened on time on opening night. Maybe it isn't 45 minutes late, but come on, don't judge if you're guilty of the same thing.

How many times have you gotten hit with crazy weather that you didn't expect? I've stood out by our que line on several occasion, looking at the people standing in the rain (or snow) and feeling really bad for them. I may have some pull, but not with mother nature. I'm sure Larry didn't order up the rain especially for the tour. As I checked the weather forecast a few days before the show, it looked like 60's the whole time, they were wrong, big surprise, they also didn't see the foot of snow we got in Denver on Thursday. Man I wish I could get a job where I could consistently be wrong, and still keep my job!

If there hadn't been timed ticketing, I bet most everyone would have shown up at 7:00, that would have been fun huh? If 1300 people showed up at 7, that would be good right? I'm still glad there was timed ticketing, regardless of the delay (disclaimer: this has nothing to do with the fact that several of our crew stood in line while I stayed dry back in the auction room, honestly guys, it just happened I didn't plan it that way )

Chris
                              Last edited by stafford; 03-31-2009, 10:34 PM.
                              Chris Stafford
                              1331 Entertainment Group
                              Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
                              13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com
                              13th Floor Haunted House - Phoenix, Arizona http://www.13thflooraz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X