No announcement yet.

Beginner seeking advice from veteran haunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys. It's been a while since I've posted in this thread. Here's quite a few questions I have:
    -What are some good ways of lighting your scenes? Ex:Mini-barrel LED spotlights, stage lights, etc.
    -What are some of your favorite scare tactics?
    -Should the use of illusions be used in first year haunts?
    -Please tell me anything I need to buy (besides wood for wall panels), should consider buying, and need to plan on buying in the future.
    -What do you do with the floors in your haunt?
    Do you just leave them as is, or do you try to have them match the theme of the room? If you theme the floors, how do you do it?
    -Have you ever bought any FX Lens from Vampfangs? If you have, please tell me how the process was and about the quality of the lens.
    -Also, if anyone has anything they don't need anymore that can be used in a haunt, please either PM me or e-mail me (tchaunt@yahoo.com) and I can give you more info.
    -What are some things I could do the first year to leave a good impression on the customers, but still save money?
    -Is it a good idea to start a business with one of your closest friends? My friend is really into haunts and loves everything about them. But I'm not sure it would be that smart of an idea to run a business with a friend. Anyone have any tips?
    -Also, where do you get most of your make-up? Dollar tree, or, on the other side of the price spectrum, hollywood studios?
    -What brands of make-up last through heavy sweating? I am wanting to scare act at least some nights in my haunt, but I sweat like a pig...and a horse, and a cow...all in one. I'm wondering what I should do. Any advice will be appreciated.
    -What do you do for your finale? Like, what do you do for the very last room in your haunt?

As you can see, I'm still packed full of questions.
    ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
    Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• Some Advice

Just throwing this advice out there even though it has nothing to do with your last question but here is a great site. I have used some of the ideas found here but I usually use it to get some ideas running in my brain. I'll browse this page for an hour or so and then I try to get some ideas. I can come up with some great ideas after doing this brain "stimulus". Here is the site:

http://www.halloweenmonsterlist.info/
      Mr. Horror
      The Eighth Floor of Hell

Comment

• Originally posted by Floor8Horror View Post
        I'll browse this page for an hour or so and then I try to get some ideas. I can come up with some great ideas after doing this brain "stimulus". Here is the site:

http://www.halloweenmonsterlist.info/
        XD I posted that somewhere else mentioning that I get inspiration for rooms from that website. Or at least I used to. Now, ideas just pop into my head by themselves. I nearly get in trouble at school all the time because I'll be writing down the idea instead of doing the work. Oh well. I've never actually got in trouble, the teachers just give me that 'Go to he** you little ba*****' look and then the fake smile.
        ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
        Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• ahh, teachers

Oh, teachers. They never truly appreciate the creative brain. The tell us to be creative but if are creative while they are talking it is suddenly a crime. Haha, I do the same thing in school.
          Mr. Horror
          The Eighth Floor of Hell

Comment

• I know. It's so funny how they work. I like teacher's aids because they really don't care what you do, as long as you're not doing something bad. Teachers..........yeah.

Edit: Come on guys. I know you all see this thread with all of the questions that you know the answer to. Please just answer some of them. You don't have to answer them all (if you could, it would be appreciated).
            Last edited by tchaunt; 02-16-2009, 05:34 PM.
            ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
            Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• On your lighting question, depends on the scene. What works best, for good visibility so the patrons dont trip but you dont lose that creepy/wierd aspect. Blacklights, lights that are dimmed/flickering tend to work good. And scare tactics wise? Well your probably going to get a varying answers on that one. Just because of the different scare actors. There are ones who go by scripts written by haunt owners, who will probably tell you that theater scares, and drawn out scenes work best. Then you might get the jump out and scare actor who says that works best. But then there are the improve actors who said depending on the group either or could work. From my personal stand point i love improv, and wise cracking the patrons and freaking them out. Roughly every group i get one to cry. But once again this varies on the group. As for things to buy, a lot of first time haunt owners over look the makeup and costume /makeup artist aspects of it. I mean as good as your actors are if they have garbage costume / makeup it ruins your overall effect. So i would advise to keep that in mind while making your budget. I buy all my FX lenses from Vampfangs, i like them alot. Um ben nye works good for makeup. From my personal stand point as i do my own makeup. But buy sealants, and powders. They seal all makeups pretty well. Honestly starting a business with friends is a good idea but if you have someone with more experience id start it with them. They will be more beneficial. But you can still include your friends, just my advice. Heed it at your will. Last room in all haunts are traditionally chainsaws. The quick almost guranteed scare. I suggest echoes, or sthil's. Light, easy start chain, and pretty durable. Get a big guy for this, these get very heavy by the end of the night. Good impressions on customers is a good show, get good actors. Train them if you can/have to. Show them what you think would be best, then ask for their input. Keep involved with them, make sure they show up and are doing well. If they arent scaring well, dont fire them, move them around see where they excell. For example a guy who is garbage as a clown might be an amazing zombie. Illusions can be used. But be careful if you start out amazing and high budget and all this i mean theres only one way to go, its hard to improve and a good show. So i suggest staying away from those for your first year, keep somethings in reserve. But yeah i answered some of your questions sorry for typo's.

Comment

• Thanks for replying. I appreciate it.

Do you like using only one type of lighting per room (like activated by a pressure pad) or do you like having something like a pale blue spotlight on a grave, then the light goes off and a strobe comes on?

Since I'm new, I was jsut asking about actors' favorite tactics jsut so I can learn about a lot of different types.
                XD I would love to make people cry in my haunt. If I ever see anyone come through and I know their name, it's going to be he** for them.

I figured the costumes and make-up were pretty important. I was watching a clip about some haunt on a JB Corn DVD. The maks were ones form Dollar Tree the were just slapped on and you could easily see the seam between the mask and the actor's skin. I kept thinking, that looks like crap. It wouldn't scare anyone.

I wasn't sure how good of an idea it would be if the business didn't work out and there were bills left over.

I'll probably only use a chain saw room if I have to. I'll use something with a high impact for sure to leave the guests storming out of the exit.

I hear about training actors all the time, and I was wondering, does that generally mean the haunt owner teaching the actors, or having someone come in and teach?

I think for my first year, I'm going to use a prop I designed based off of "Voodoo Revenge" (some prop I've seen on one of the hundreds of prop sites I've looked at). Basically, the actor's body is "replaced" with a very gory skeletal torso. The actor can still use his/her hands, arms, and head to get in a scare. Most likely, I'll just use it as a diversion for a bigger scare.
                ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• Well personally im not advising the chainsaw scare, but that is tradition. To be chased out with the roaring of saws. Customers seem to love it, good climax. I mean what i would do is hide behind the "exit" sign paint on the gate...then BAM they take of. And i bolt after them. Usually they trip and i get in their face. This is just from my few nights as a chainsaw. Usually i be a clown/rover. But yeah you can use multiple lights depending on the scene. Our graveyard scene hard black lights, purple lights, pink lights, fog machines every thing. It really set the mood. And you dont need to know someoens name to make them cry. Only about a quarter of the people i make cry i know there names. Its all in yoru demeanor. My and my acting brother. Both in no shoes stand 6'2 and 6'3 so add boots we are pretty tall. About 6'5. Then add clown costumes, and he has a saw (Which half the time he doesnt even have to start) we just stand there meancingly we and a quarter of the people just refuse to enter. Its all in your body and voice, and facial. Learn a stance that intimidates, one that makes people wary of approaching you. Also varying your voice making it really high pitched then low, creeps people out. Lurch, crawl, creep. Never walk. Never Run. Create a character and apply nuances to it. Make it your character. Clubs the Clown and Gurggles the Clown ( me and my acting brother ) But yeah nuance help a lot. And usually its the haunt owners choice. They can teach if they feel secure. Or they can hire, if i had the money i would gladly fly out and act/ help train. But if your still around in a few years id be glad to. Those are my tactics. Personally, but it really does vary greatly per groups.

Comment

• Thanks for yet another good reply.
                    What stances usually work for you?
                    I'm thinking about having my main character as being either a puppet or a puppet master. I've actually got an idea for the room my character could be in. It seems to me like it would be pretty awesome. I have practiced movement for that character. Because of marching band, I can almost twist my body 180 degrees (Face in one direction, feet in the other). I've practiced that character so much already.

I know that you don't need to know people's names, but my friends (and a lot of people in my town) really hate strangers. I think that stalker quality could really freak them out.

I can get my voice to go incredibly deep. I can get somewhat high. I can sing over 3 1/2 octaves without bending the pitch. I'm sure I could work it into my act somehow.

Most likely, I'll just have someone teach since I don't have ny formal training in acting.

Like I've said before, I'd be more than happy to have you act for me.
                    ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                    Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• Extremely cheap, obvious masks can be wildly scary!
                      How? Why?
                      Because it looks so stupid, what normal person would ever wear one?
                      Which means inversely, the person wearing this mask must really be crazy!
                      RUN!

I sweat like a hog in heat too, during high school basketball when I stood in the same spot for a rebound from a foul shot the second time I would be standing in my own Jim-Made pond! (No urine needed!)
                      So I quit trying to use any make up at all many years ago. Yes! I inflict my own face upon these victims!
                      Makeup really doesn't suit the type of a performance that I am trying to effect either. A reality based storyline of actual hauntings here. I use my creative talents to tell the stories well not to make up any stories because I don't dwell in fictional realms.
                      Would you beleive a car salesman's deal if he was wearing makeup (not clown makeup)?
                      Wouldn't some part of your mind be thinking "This guy is a nutcase or some inter-dimensional alien."
                      I do my own style of a chainsaw ballet in the first room, played for the utmost comedy.
                      I really try not to copy anything that others do and I have found a clientel who frequent my place who like that sort of thing, and many of them hate the chainsaws chasing them .
                      How do I know this? They tell me without my asking!
                      But whatever works for you..."Works!"
                      Do a style of show that you are comfortable doing.
                      I would not be comfortable doing a murder house crime scene and I probably would not be as financially comfortable having half as many customers either.
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

• :/ For you, it was basketball. For me, marching band. I would give anything to wear shorts, but no, we have to use the stupid uniforms...that are only washed once a year. XP I hate them so badly. What's better is the fact that everyone is like "Oh my G**! You look like you just took a shower!" or "Holy crap! You smell like sweat!" It gets so annoying. Even new marchers were doing it. Even at the end of the season, they were saying things like that.

Your haunt sounds so original. Every time I hear about another secret behind the place or an effect used or a type of room, it just amazes me. I really like the concept behind your haunt. You let the real ghosts haunt, and you publicize it and make it fun!

Thanks for the advice.
                        ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                        Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• Stances, Stances, Stances? Depends on you my friend. Use your body size to your advantage, one haunt i worked had a midget, we called her Ant and she was the scariest person ever...and she could run a 6'8 fellow down and reduce him to tears. If your small be flexible be creepy. If your big be llumbering be intimidating. Just think menace and try to emenate that. Half the battle is when people see you, if people see you right off and arent intimidated/creeped out or even a little scared then its not likely you are very able to scare them. Unless your Jim Warfield...who is just cool like that.

Comment

• Of course, everyone loves Jim! He's like Haunt World's mascot. I have yet to find a thread where he hasn't posted at least once.

I'm about 5' 5-7 1/2" (don't know exactly 'cause I haven't been measured in a while). Since I don't have very much--scratch that--any scare acting experience, what would you think I could do pose wise? In other words, what could make me creepy and horrifying through most people's eyes?

Does anyone on here offer actor trainging for haunted houses?
                            ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                            Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• I do. But your far from me my friend and i cant afford a flight out. Anyway, are you thin? Or kind of heavy set, i dont ask to invade your privacy this will make it easier to determine what you can be. Because your not short, but your not tall. Your pretty average. Myself, i am about 6'5 and 190 pounds so i work the long and creepy but also intimidating. Just making my self look bigger and putting of an air of menace. It works trust me. So yeah tell me your body type and im sure i could suggest a few poses that work. Are you flexible?

Comment

• Would you be willing to record a video about acting and ship it to me for a fee? If so, how much would you want for the video?

Well, if twisting your body around 180 degrees counts, then I'm flexible. I can have my feet facing one direction, and my upper chest and head facing the other direction.

I am lighter compared to most people. Most likely, I'll appear thin-ish in costumes.
                                ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                                Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Working...
                                X