No announcement yet.

Is everyone going up the creek???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the main disagreement in this thread is based mainly on location and anecdotal evidence. Jason lives in Cleveland, an area that has been suffering a long time and is particularly hard hit. I grew up near there and I know what it is like to live in a dieing area. My hometown died a long time ago.

Larry however lives in St Louis, and area like Columbus where I am, that is more insulated from the economy. Like most disagreement, the real truth about what is going on lies somewhere in the middle.

It is tough out there. I lost my job, not really because of the economy, back in May. I took a severance package from my company and assumed that finding another position would not be that difficult. My goal was to change careers but now I don't think that will be possible. People I am talking to are getting 500+ applications for any position that opens up, from people with years more experience than I have. I have determined I will need to stay in my current field, and lower my expectations, if I am to find anything soon.

Comment

I would have to agree with Barry, it's all location! This struggle is affecting only some parts of the country, where... here in Lexington, KY... it doesn't seem to be having ANY affect!

In fact, people are still buying and spending money like normal. I have a cousin that works at a local Sams Club and he said that sales were up $2M over last year at that ONE CLUB! So... idk, I think this is only affecting certain parts of the country!

As for autos, I buy Japan... There hasn't been an American worth buying in years! -Tyler
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Tyler, you are dead wrong! American cars are every bit as good or better than Japanese cars. Who do you think invented nearly everything first that you see in cars? Amercan companies, or European not Japanese. Toyotas are boring as hell, as are hondas. People always talk about they want a car that will sustain for 10-15+ years, or 300k miles I mean serously who wants a car that long these days anymore? People get a new car every couple of years now.

You are only hurting YOUR own country while making the Japanese richer. Hope seeing your fellow Americans in the unemployment line brings you some satisfaction Tyler!!!

Darkangel

Comment

Helps Japan? It will only give them more money to loan BACK to us like they and China have for years now! Boring? So, I have the choice of buying a pontiac that will need to be fixed ALOT or left broken down... or buy a Toyota that gets better gas milage and is WAY more dependable than any American car? Hmmm.... Sorry, but autos is one thing I will continue to buy Jap. until I see a better trend come around in American autos...

... and who gives a shit of who invented it. It's like your saying the Wright Bros. airplane is better than modern day Boeings... wtf?

Oh, and there isn't a line at the unemployment office... drove by there the other day!

I'm going to leave this topic... another mindless discussion that gets no one nowhere, and quick! -Tyler
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Yes boring. Americans like all the bells and whistles, Toyotas are basic and boring. Everyone's worried about gas milage this and gas milage that So you think every Toyota gets better gas milage than all American cars? Look at the hideos Prius, have you seen the VOLT yet? Looks 10x's better and will outperform it any day when released.

Look at Chryslers cars the past few years. the 300C, Magnum, Challenger, Charger all will out perform ANY toyota, looks 10x's better. The world loves the American Muscle cars, have you EVER owned one? Ask your Grandfather if he'd ever buy a Japanese car by the way!

Sports cars are no contest American cars beat Japanese cars hands down.

Americans make the first pick up trucks, mini vans, shall I continue? You said you ONLY buy Japan so how do you know American cars are inferior by comparison? Have you driven a new Pontiac? It's not the 70's when our cars started to split, it's almost 2009. Get your head out of a hole in the ground and test drive some American cars, you might experience something really cool first before your BELOVED Japanese car makers rip it off next.

Darkangel

Comment

OK, last post on this...

I never said I ONLY buy Japan... I own a 2008 Corvette convertible and recently just sold my '07 Solstice... My company truck is a 2009 Dodge Ram extended cab; needed it for the pulling power. BUT.. both burn way more money than my Camry! So, idk... think what you want! -Tyler
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Allan,

It's def. NOT my main mode of transport! HAHAHHA! Mainly just to drive around town with the top down! ... Other than that I'm not one to go fast, race, etc. etc. etc... hahahaha.... My partner does though! Ed is freakin' crazy! -Tyler
                Chris Riehl
                Sales@spookyfinder.com
                (586)209-6935
                www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Back to the topic. I agree with whomever said once Obama gets in and the media puts a positive spin on the rebounding economy things will change. With today's 24 hour news channels and the need to create stories and features to keep people watching, it's the media that is fanning the flames. If all of a sudden they changed their tune and starting saying there is a sharp increase and improvement in the econmy, consumer spending for Christmas is starting to climb, etc people will feel less nervous and more willing to spend money. They keep feeding us with bad news after bad news people will not feel confident and hold onto their money and the economy will get much worse....

Allan

Comment

First off, most Japanese cars are made in America, so you are still supporting the US economy.

Second, its the unrealistic UAW demands that are hurting not so much the people running the company.

I work with many former automotive supervisors and the stories they tell are unreal.

People being jailed for stealing radios from the plant, but caught in a different city. So when released, they get their job back because it happened somewhere else, plus back pay for the year they missed of work with the estimated OT pay they would have received. No wonder it cost 30,000 for a basic car.

These workers are less trained than the people that work for me yet they are making 30-45 dollars per hour. Give me a break.

It urks me to no end that my tax dollars are being used to save the jobs of union workers that have morphed the intended use of the Union (protection against unsafe and unrealistic work/pay expectations) to a system set up to "get as much as we can while it lasts" and defend the worse worker, not the best.

Comment

the UAW is hurting things I will agree 100% Boni.

Comment

The biggest problem with American cars is that Americans on a DIME went from wanting big SUV's and TRUCKS and HUMMERS to NOT wanting them like OVER NIGHT! And guess what the Big 3 had NOTHING people wanted because they where not making the cars people would need in a gas crunch.

GM lets face it their cars are just ugly, I love the new vets, but other than that their cars are just UGLY!

Ford, they kept making TRUCKS and those massive SUV with the Mustang...hmmm don't see anything anyone wants there.

Now we have to bail them out because they screwed up... it has nothing to do with the economy it has to do with their stupidity.

We shouldn't bail out a company that just plain didn't make cars that people didn't want to buy.

I myself and for the record... BUY AMERICAN ALL THE WAY!

I own a Chysler 300 C SRT8, Dodge Truck, and nothing else buy Dodge or Chrysler. I would never by a car made outside of this country that is just me!

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President
                        www.HalloweenProductions.com
                        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Allan,

For the past ten years the big 3 have been making unreal profits with Trucks and SUV's and look at GM they made those gas guzzler Hummers. Now they are stopping producting on the Hummer, SUV's are being cut down and truck sales are down like 30%.

None of these three companies focused on anything really but TRUCKS and SUVS now no one wants them...they are left high and dry. This is thier fault and on one elses fault. Period!

Japan made good looking cars that are good to drive while getting 35 miles to the gallon. This is why people are buying those cars.

GM's cars in my opinion are JUST UGLY as sin... Chrysler's cars are cool looking but they to put to much stock in big cars. Now America has to pay for thier mistakes.

I just don't want to hear about how the economy has killed their business no no no its their bad planning, not knowing what their customers want to buy.

That is the problem, Japan doesn't seem to have this problem. Toyota is now the number one car company in the WORLD... I wonder why?

LOL

Still I will only buy American because I will ONLY support those hard working American auto workers with my money! But most people don't see it that way so hence the problem. I hope they fix it.

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President
                          www.HalloweenProductions.com
                          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

You are right but before gas shot up a lot of people WANTED those Hummers right!

I'm still looking for a good looking car made in Japan. So far no luck....

Allan

Comment

Around my parts the economy is hurting. One papermill in town that has been around forever closed down totally putting about 200 out of work. Another one has cut way back and laid off a bunch more. The humane society has stories in the paper saying they are full cause people cant afford to keep their pets. I vol this year for the free thanksgiving dinner and we served 4000 people, an all time record.

I am keeping my head above water, but barely. The haunt this year did good and I ended up making more than ever before and have more money in the bank than ever. This came as a surprize to the wife who thought for sure we were gonna be way down. My retail store is WAY down in sales. Not surprising when you realize I sell magic tricks and costumes, both most likely are one of the 1st items people stop buying. "hmmm feed the kids, or buy a magic trick" As far as my performances, again, I am holding on, but it is tough man. Today I had a call from a mom that wanted a birthday party for their kid, but could not afford my rate, a rate I never had selling before all of this so I am thinking I might have to look at lowering my rate. On the other had I just got back from a trade show and had no problem booking myself for good pay in Iowa in July. I will be at county fairs all over Iowa weekends in July.

As was said, EVERYTIME a new president comes into office there is a big jump in confidence etc. Obama, even though I am a republican and voted for Mac, seems to have his shit in order and wants to hit the ground running. Just really hope he has his mojo working cause the economy is hurting and it will continue to trickle down and soon all of us, including the haunts will feel it especially the haunts that are charging over $10. Sure you can have the most kick ass haunt, but if people WANT to attend a haunt, and you are charging $25, but there is a so so haunt charging $8-$10, will people choose the budget haunt??

Fasten your seatbelts gentlemen and ladies. It will be a VERY scary and interesting 2009!
                              www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Thought I'd chime in...
                                I'm in Northwestern PA and around here for years (before all this recession stuff) people have been leaving town ever since Cytemp (formerly Cyclops) Steel mill shut down. I work in a lumber mill and it's been touch and go for 2 years now...from unlimited overtime to approved overtime to NO overtime! The housing market has been kicked in the nuts for all this time and once it decides to turn around it will still be 10-12 months before our company does.
                                Hardwood mills are dropping like flies and the only reason we're afloat is because we have our yard where I work and on the other side of town the mill that does the finishing work. We are able to stay in business (we're the only one making any money in the U.S. at this point for our company) because of the synergy between the two plants.
                                Am I worried...you bet. Rumors fly around daily at work and outside of work about us being sold/shut down. And since my wife and I had our 1st child 2 1/2 years ago she's a stay-at-home mom so we went from two incomes unlimited overtime to one income unlimited overtime to one income NO overtime (plus raises are frozen!)...it's been tough but we manage.
                                As far as the haunt side...our haunt did record numbers (not too hard changing locations and more advertising) plus we raised admission and still people came in droves! Now we have to drive 1/2 hour to get there but it's worth it!
                                But yeah, daily job and life...it's tough! I feel for everyone else out there! I've seen this past year probably over 6 or 7 people lose their jobs where I work that had been there longer than me-because of 'downsizing'...

Just my story,

Kirk
                                Kirk Boemmel
                                Dark Ghost Manor
                                www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X