Good Chainsaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Chainsaw?

Alright everybody im looking into purchasing my own chainsaw this year for my personal character who i have dubbed "The Plastic Surgeon" I am looking for a real chainsaw ((I will remove the chain of course)) that is loud as hell and pretty lightweight. I want them to know its a chainsaw behind them. So if you guys could suggest brands or specific chainsaws that would be great! My price range is up to 800$ so i hope that will be enough i dont mind going a little bit over though.

Thanks everyone.

-Zackary J

We have had great luck with this model Stihl. The Easy Start system is fantastic, it's lightweight which is important when acting with it all night and it's rebuildable.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS250CBE.html

We go through a third as many saws with these as we did with slightly cheaper models. Another thing a lot of haunts who burn up a lot of saws do is let them idle all night long. With the easy start it's super easy to start, just shut it off and start it for each scare and it will last several seasons.

Plus, these are just about $250 each.
    Brett Hays, Director
    Fear Fair
    www.fearfair.com

Comment

They loud? Hahahah i want them to KNOW for SURE when im coming hahahaha.

Comment

Well, for $679 you can get a SpookyProps Chainsaw. Lightweight, push button activated, no fumes, no cord, loud amp, no chance of burns, etc. I've heard good things about it and since regular chainsaws can break overtime, the SP one will probably be cheaper in the long run. However, they're sold out this season. I'd suggest you save your money for that. But with your budget of $800, I believe you can get your hands on a chainsaw now and still have a good chunk of money for the SpookyProps saw. The Poulan Pro 16" 35cc Gas Chain Saw is about $140. So that leaves you with $660 to put towards the SP one. Then again, if you have no love at all for SpookyProps Saw and wish to put all your money into a real one, then you could just walk over to your nearest hardware store and choose your pick. $800 is more than enough for a good chainsaw. They should have them on display so you can judge for yourself which one of them weighs the less or looks the most intimidating. As for the sound, as long as the saw isn't electric, you should be fine.
        Last edited by Smiley; 10-27-2008, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah my first thoughts was the scare factory chainsaw however my friend bought one and it broke on him the first night and the sound was absolute shit. It sounded like a rather crackly speaker then a chainsaw. So i thinking im just going to go with a real one. I mean im pretty mechanically minded so repairing it and stuff shouldnt be that much of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Giggles View Post
            Yeah my first thoughts was the scare factory chainsaw however my friend bought one and it broke on him the first night and the sound was absolute shit. It sounded like a rather crackly speaker then a chainsaw. So i thinking im just going to go with a real one. I mean im pretty mechanically minded so repairing it and stuff shouldnt be that much of a problem.
            Yes, but a lot of the lower end saws are just not rebuildable... made to run until they stop and then be tossed..

You won't go wrong with the Stihl model I posted... we have beat the heck out of them with excellent results.
            Brett Hays, Director
            Fear Fair
            www.fearfair.com

Comment

You can also drill a hole in the muffler to make it much louder. If it's an outdoor haunt you can't beat the sound and the smell of exhaust adds to the realism. You just can't get the same effect from speakers in my opinion but if it's inside you have no choice.
              www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Yeah of course its outside it would be way to dangerous with the fumes for an indoor thing. But i agree with you elowther nothing really reaches the same affect as the real thing.

Comment

We have used the same Husqvarna saw that we bought new for 4 seasons with few problems. Our back up saw is alos a Husqvarna, but the older one does not have a muffler on it and is loud as hell. I do not think you could go wrong with that or a Stihl. We also have a Spookyprops saw and it works well in the area we use it in.

Comment

We use the stihl easystart chainsaws. they work great are really tuff and the hole drilled in the muffler works just make sure your not in a neighborhood where they might complain about the noise. We used the cheap poulan ones a few years ago and the reason they call them poulan is because your always poulan it to get the thing to start!!! Stihl is my choice. Also I have two of the spooky prop ones and would be willing to sell one of them. You just cant beat the real deal!
                    Greg Allen
                    scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                    www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Stihl or a Husky, you can't really go wrong with either.

As far as the Poulans, Homelite's, Craftsman, etc, they work, but as said, they're throw-away saws. I can't remember where I read it or saw it, but the motors in the "home owner" type saws are only rated for 40 hours which is nothing. Lowes sells the Husky 455 Rancher which is a good, but not crazy over priced saw. If you want anything higher end, you'll have to go to a Stihl or Husky specialty retailer.
                      -Brandon Kelm
                      Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone have any thoughts towards the echo chainsaw? I tried it out at the trails and i really liked the way it felt. Its not to heavy and its pretty easy to start.

Comment

Ok I know everyones watiing for me to chime in on this one. My personal vaf chainsaw is a craftsman (which ive used the same one 10yrs) they are very easy to maintain. My second fav is pulan whis is exactly same as craftsman. these run around $200 new and have a 2 yr warranty. Also to make easier to start cut the cord to about half length and reinstal the handle. This makes it a heel of alot easier to start especially cold starts and then of course use 2 cycle oil one small bottle per Gallon of gas. Keep in mind the bar gets oily this is normal as the oil from the gas burns its left as residue and stay clear of the muffler it gets hot and will burn anything that is in contact

Pat
                          The flesh is weak wax is eternal.

Comment

Working...
                          X