Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hauntworld Magazine is coming and here is a peak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the last page the best, I can see all the text. Can't wait for it to show up in the mail box.
    Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Since you asked, Larry

It's not a bad design, but there several elements that could be changed for legibility and ease of printing.

White text on a process black background - This is begging for trouble and is a design element that should be used sparingly. Your printer has to do perfect registration on all the plates for this to look and read well. If the CMYK colors are off register by a half dot or more, the white text will look blurry with colored edges and become hard to read. This assumes that you want people to actually read the magazine and not just look at the pretty pictures.

Rag left type - Studies have shown that rag left type is not good for large blocks of text. It slows readers down and can confuse them. It is best used for captions, headers and cut lines. If the designer wants to follow the line of the spindle, justify the text on both sides with the left following the line of the spindle.

Eye lines and text flow - The three text blocks look choppy with no flow for the eye. Move the cut line to the right hand page where that horizontal text box is and put all the text in the remaining two blocks by extending the left hand page block of text up to the top. Because of the way magazines open up, people naturally look at the right hand page first. This means that the cut line will do its job catching the reader's interest. The reader will then notice the large face looking at them on the left hand page which will pull their eyes to that left hand page and the beginning of the text. The placement of the other pictures as they are, will help draw the eye up and to the right where the rest of the text is. BTW, it helps to caption pictures.

I hope this critique and explanation of some magazine design rules will help in future issues of Hauntworld.

Comment

InFoamTek

Wow I am really impressed! Shane
        sigpic

Comment

Bravo

Very nice Infoam!

Comment

cant wait! looks good larry
            Sean De Wane
            ----------------------------------------------
            The De Wane Asylum
            www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

This magazine might be slightly delayed... this is taking longer than I expected.

I want this to be the single greatest looking magazine ever and I have a lot of ideas and they are just taking longer than I expected. But it is still rolling.

Here is another page...

Lary
              Attached Files
              Larry Kirchner
              President
              www.HalloweenProductions.com
              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Great!
                Maybe while you're at it you could send me the backissue I ordered with my subscription!

Comment

We process over 5000 orders a year through our store www.hauntedhousesupplies.com

If we missed you somehow send me a private email with your address, what you ordered and we'll look into it asap.

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President

Comment

UPDATE:

I'm sorry to say the magazine will for sure be delayed. WHY?

Well because I'm getting all sorts of new artwork made, all sorts of new sections designed and layed out that we never had before. I know most of you realize I have a lot of idea's and I am very creative... but I've never really applied any of that to the magazine.

Well now I am...

Once I get one done, the future issues will be easier, cheaper and faster for us to produce. There is just so much going into this magazine I can't even tell you.

I have spent the WHOLE ENTIRE FREAKING DAY on the 4th working on this magazne...and is what 5am and I'm STILL NOT DONE!

I have sent something like 8 emails to Brainstorm of articles I wrote, idea's, layouts, ads and everything else I need.

It will get done but it won't be done next week I can tell you that.

It will go out soon! But from this magazine on the future will be awesome... this magazine will set the standard by which ANY OTHER MAGAZINE will ONLY HOPE to achieve that I can promise you!

I can't say yet how many pages it will be but it might hit the 100 mark, still no sure! I'll let you know when everything is done!

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

Did you say that you were mailing out free copies to non subscribers? I don't have a subscription? But after seeing this mag, I think I might. It looks really cool, nice job Larry and Brainstorm. -Tyler
                      Chris Riehl
                      Sales@spookyfinder.com
                      (586)209-6935
                      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nightgore View Post
                        Did you say that you were mailing out free copies to non subscribers? I don't have a subscription? But after seeing this mag, I think I might. It looks really cool, nice job Larry and Brainstorm. -Tyler
                        a free trial version would be excellent. doubt that would happen though. i need to subscribe to it myself still. looking good larry.

Comment

No I am not mailing out free copies... what I was saying is that we're mailing out bunch of free copies to amusement parks, ren fairs and stuff trying to bring in new industries to our subscription base.

larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President

Comment

Larry

Shame on you after all Tyler is your biggest fan!!!! He backs everything you say and compliments everthing you do! You should atleast give him a free copy or two even if their old ones. Tyler I am sorry this is the best I can do hope this helps. Shane
                            sigpic

Comment

Larry, everything's lookin good on the mag. I'm gonna have to get a copy of that now.
                              Brad Bowen
                              Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                              www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

I'm thinking by Tuesday or Wed we should be able to get this to the printer.

I'm hoping!

Larry
                                Larry Kirchner
                                President

Comment

Working...
                                X