• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a great plan Barry....
    Allan

Comment

Barry! MDKing

Man Barry I wish I would have thought of that! Amen Brother!!!!!MDKing no offence but you say you have not attended one of these shows yet, You say " that the social aspects of the show do seem to attract more non buyers or not serious buyers" Why does it seem that way to you? Because Larry suggested it? One vendor already stated that he recieved a 20,000.00 order. Several no many vendors have stated that they done as well if not better than TransWorld. You also stated that " having our Industry repersented as zombies and people dressed in costume looks bad" King is that not part of our industry? How would it be if people came to your haunt and said I am here only to see the props I don't wont to see people dressed as zombies, clowns, bloody people ect I am here to be all serious and I am not here for fun as well. This too King is part of it and this is what helps make our industry different. Let me tell you this and I have said it many times I am successful beyond the Haunt Industry. I already attend other boaring shows where people stand in suits and ties and place orders then stand around the rest of the day talking how boaring the show is or have them suggest why did they not do this or that. Yes our Industry is a Business but it goes way beyond going to a booth and placing a order. Remember the vendors and buyers alike can do this already by way or internet or phone. Take away the aumbiance and you loose part of the show and atmosphere. And when you do that why not let the vendors save thousands in booth rent and just put their new products on the net. Then you can do a phone conferance and do all your business and orders right on the phone saving you time and money as well as saving the vendor time and money. Then you will say '' I want to go and see that and see it in person '' well my friend your right back to why this is way more than just a business its an Industry made up of vendors with props, and products and people dressed as those costumes as those zombies ect its the aumbiance and atmosphere that makes our Industry more than just a 9 to 5 job. King please dont pull a Larry on me and go off this is my opinion and I am expressing it to show you there is way more than meets the eye here. Shane
      sigpic

Comment

Shane,

Believe it or not, and it may come as a surprise to you, but there are in fact more people in this industry other than Larry. What Larry says and does is on him I think and do for myself. I talk to many people in the industry, in fact I've never talked to Larry about MHC or Hauntcon I talk to many people all of them saying the same thing. Also, I can base my assessment of what I have perceived at Transworld, especially in Rosemont whereas many of the people there were non-buying haunt staffers or actors and horror/Halloween enthusiasts.

No one said anything about suits and ties first off, but suits and ties would be on the opposite extreme as some of us "haunters" present ourselves. Why is that you all need to have these social events at these conventions? Do that stuff after hours and leave the shows for people looking to do business. I come to see product and many others do as well. I'm not there for ambiance and atmosphere I'm there for my business. The two aspects of the industry should be seperate. That may seem boring to you, excuse me "boaring" but the show ends early and the night is young and there is plenty of time to meet other haunters over dinner, and take part in haunt or non haunt related entertainment all night long.

Again, I think what Barry said is a great idea. Have one show strictly business and the other business/social events for those who are into that sort of thing.

Allan

Comment

Gotta get in on this!

Our industry is, in my opinion, a mix of social and buisness. I enjoy not only the showfloor, but the idea of bringing people together that wouldn't get a chance to speak face to face and share ideas, acting and makeup tips, and have a good time doing it.
          Why can't we just say that MHC and Hauntcon are a new breed of tradeshow. And the people who are horror fans and just come for that - why isn't that an opportunity to show what the haunt community is all about? (and aren't those the people that come to our haunts?)
          As for the drunken idiots - what place doesn't have their fair share? C'mon! Plumbing conventions have them - they just have suits - they don't look like zombies!
          As for the nakedness - the body art is amazing - most of them really disguise their nakedness, and it's boobs...whoopty do! (of course that's one...um...two of the things that got my hubby to go with me LOL) And whomever referenced Transworld - they have several scantily clad women in the costume section evry year i went. The guys I went with spent ALOT of time down there.
          I agree with Speculo - it has been beaten to death.
          You can't honestly compare the two tradeshows. Whenever anyone asks me about them, this is how I describe it: Transworld focusing on the big buyers, those not interested in anything but running a haunted house and stocking it.
          MHC and Hauntcon focus not only on buyers of all price ranges, but have a heavy focus on the actors and makeup artists and the socialness that comes with it!
          That's what i think.
          MHC has my full support due to it's diversity in all things haunt related!
          Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Allan..

Ummmm if nothing else thanks for pointing out my misspelling. Its good to know you are here and can point that out rather than try to make one seem stupid. Well thats atleast what I hope you were doing. I mean after all most would have just over looked that and focused on what I was saying not my grammer and punctuation as well as spelling but for that I will say Thank You. I guess there is a huge problem here and with out getting everyone in the room its a he said they said thing. I know many who are for. You know many who are opposed and so on and so fourth. This is why I intend to rent a space at Transworld for an open debate and just see where everyone stands on Industry issues a face to face if you will. Its hard to get across true feelings from one person to the other here. Now Hauntworld is a good place to post pics, videos, and expressions of ones Haunt. But I have talked with many vendors and buyers who thinks this a a great thing. I hope to do it at TransWorld after hours if not we will find a hotel with a meeting area to discuss all the issues face to face. Larry would you like to help me on this? After all we are two vocal people and I would include you if you want? What is your thoughts would you be willing to do a face to face? Shane
            Last edited by graystone; 06-29-2008, 09:34 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

If it needs to be addressed by next year, I might consider it. But only if you spell my name correctly!

Allan
              Last edited by MDKing; 06-29-2008, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Allan.

There are no more shows to do a public discussion before Haunt season I am doing this for 2009 season. And I think you ment yo say spell "my" name right no "me name" oops look I corrected you too. Thats just wrong of me. Again Allan nothing personal just a friendly disagreement on my end anyway. I hope you feel the same.Shane
                sigpic

Comment

Good, Good! You were paying attention! I was referring to next year in my post.

Take care,
                  Allan

Comment

An Idea

As I read these posts a couple things came to mind.

First, I agree with Ben, pick a place, I don't care because I'll be there regardless.

Second, I attended all 4 shows in the past year, IAAPA, TW, Hauntcon, and MHC. If the aspects of all these shows could be combined into one, I'd be all for it, I think a lot of people would. It's not to say I don't enjoy each one of them in their own rights, it's just that I have two little ones at home, family obligations etc. and I really would rather not travel 4 times a year if I don't have to.

So, let's say a show like MHC or Hauntcon could attract the larger vendors, and either had the trade show floor opened to pre-qualified buyers a day in advance or for the first few hours each day (let's face it some of the actors, staff, etc. are still sleeping it off), the vendors would know they are dealing with pre-qualified buyers. They could ramp up their staffing, give out all the catalogs, incentives, etc. they want, and then when those hours are over they may or may not choose to do the same. In regards to MHC, Scarefactory and Unit 70 are there in Columbus right? Doesn't this make sense?

I guess part of what I'm getting at, is I don't think the people walking around in costumes are going to keep buyers from coming to the show. I think there is probably a happy medium here. For example this year we had quite a few people come with us to TW in Vegas (and only one kinda dressed up at all), most likely because it was Vegas! After the trade show we would get together for dinner and everyone would talk about what they saw and what they liked, this was good input and brought up some things that we hadn't thought of. If these people were excluded all together, we wouldn't have gotten some good feedback, and some seeds about certain vendors products wouldn't have been planted. They even pointed out some things that I had missed all together.

Also, for the industry to grow I don't know that it's the best idea to alienate the home haunters and fans, some day they may open up commercially and become customers, they'll remember how they were treated when they do.

Just an idea.

Chris
                    Last edited by stafford; 06-29-2008, 10:23 AM.
                    Chris Stafford
                    1331 Entertainment Group
                    Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
                    13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com
                    13th Floor Haunted House - Phoenix, Arizona http://www.13thflooraz.com

Comment

Chris

Great responce! Shane
                      sigpic

Comment

I think all the socializing, party's, masquarade balls, walks, etc. etc. are all really great things. Just the SHOW FLOOR should be strictly business, much like IAAPA. If the show wants to set-up balls/party's or have haunters pavillions, meet-ups, bus/haunt tours, etc. etc., that's awesome! Just save for when your not on the show floor... that's all. -Tyler
                        Chris Riehl
                        Sales@spookyfinder.com
                        (586)209-6935
                        www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Night

No offence but its going to be boring!!!! boring!!!!!boring!!! Again we already got IAAPA for that. Thats what makes TW and MHC so great its a mix and a blend of business and pleasure! Thats what makes our industry so great that all these crazy haunter actors, home haunters, and professionals alike can come and express themselves and still do business. I say if you want that then its off to IAAPA you should go. I myself don't like to dress up but I sure as heck love to see the ones that do! Sheldon, Tater, The unattractive lady with the faces on her boobes the some of the dudes from the Headless Horsemen and everyone else keep it up I LOVE SEEING IT! Just my opinion!
                          Last edited by graystone; 06-29-2008, 12:43 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Chris,

I think you have something there.

great Post
                            Ken
                            www.boocrewproduction.com

Comment

Chris ALWAYS has great posts...Thanks!

Some of the outrageousness is amazing and can be viewed as educational for costuming and face-painting purposes. However, some is soooo over-the-top that it could devalue our industry.

I will say this...It might not keep the buyers out (as Chris posted), but some of the outrageousness WILL keep new vendors out. For example, we are in the attractions business and Pepsi, Coke, and many food vendors showcase at EVERY attractions show EXCEPT ours. Why don't they attend ours? Afterall most pro haunts do offer a concession area.?.?

Maybe they don't come because we're too small, or maybe they don't come because they've never been marketed to with an invite to come. However, I think that if we successfully marketed to them and they showed up with their expensive booth space, but then saw some of the outrageousness, they might not be so inclined to come again. That would be my fear. The fun-loving conventions are great for that stuff, but our annual Professional Trade Show should probably discourage from it.

I don't think this makes for "boring". Have you seen our vendors' booths? They are anything but boring. We don't need the over-the-top outrageous enthusiasts to liven up our show. IT'S ALIVE!...literally. (In case you didn't catch that, I made a Frankenstein reference. "IT'S ALIVE!" Okay. Okay. So, I'm not really good at this. LOL.)
                              Did you know...The HauntWorld Online Haunt Directory networks with ALL of these websites to bring you the BEST possible results for increasing your haunt business:
                              www.HauntWorld.com
                              www.HauntedHouseOnline.com
                              www.FindHauntedHouses.com
                              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com
                              It's the most comprehensive online ad campaign you can buy! I'd love to earn your advertising business. Email me today at blacklightminigolf@sbcglobal.net.

Comment

this is an interesting thread...so i think i will post a few thoughts...i dont have a single complaint at all about MHC...it is the best show for us in my opinion...we dont have to drain our bank account to attend, and we dont have the headaches of union workers sucking out the remaining change from our pockets when we get there...pound for pound MHC is just as good if not better than TW...it just isnt as big...YET!!!!
                                the social aspect of the show is one of the great attractions...and do we forget the huge party we used to have at the crown every year...i cant tell you how many times i have struck up a conversation with someone at the party while drinking a beer, and the next day they show up at the booth to buy a product...or talk to a customer on the show floor, and then sit down and discuss business at the party...it is the comradery off the show floor that can help make sales..is it always necessary, no...but it is nice to get to know your customers on a more personal level...i also have done bookings for my seasonal acting/seminars during the party...it is called networking...
                                the other stuff (ie makeup wars and body art) also adds to the environment...we as artists are looking for ways to better ourselves all the time...to find more creative, time saving, and efficient ways of doin things and what better way than through competition...it is amazing what you can pick up by watching people use very little in way of materials to make some pretty cool effects...and the body art brings in a whole seperate group of folks that help us realize what can be accomplished with a good set of paints...i see wolf bros and graphtobian makeup used in several different haunts...
                                the MHC show does indeed put viable customer in our booth, and has consistantly for years...i say whatever the producers (kelly, neena, bary and kathy) are doin, please keep on doin it!!! if we lose all the fun aspects of the haunt industry, we might as well just become another boring business convention filled with suits and fake smiles...in short it would become dryer than a popcorn fart...
                                the above expressed view and opinions are mine and mine alone..nuff said

maddi poole
                                WWW.SCREAMLINESTUDIOS.COM
                                440-392-2666

Comment

Working...
                                X