Quick poll: OBC board or luan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick poll: OBC board or luan?

Think I already know the answer, but what do YOU use in your haunt or what do you suggest? OBC 1/4 inch is $5 a board, LUAN is @ almost $10. If the wood is used inside and looks are not that important, your thoughts?
    www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

The OSB is stronger but both are really rough and potenially dangerous surfaces if your audience is coming in contact with them. Both splinter, but the luan is worse. I like 1/4" to 3/8" good one side plywood, if you buy in quantities you get to around $ 11.00 to $ 14.00 per sheet. Take bids, all the retailers are hurting now. Walls are an investment, build them right and take care, they will last a long time!
    I like framing with 2 x 3 instead of 2 x 4, it takes up less storage room!
    Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Luan really requires a backing such as the sub floor of your home. 1/4 OSB is much more structurally sound for wall panels. although 1/4 PLYwood is about the same price as luan as well as 3/8 PLYwood is roughly the same as luan.

Hope this helps you out.
      Ken
      www.boocrewproduction.com

Comment

I only build with ply wood because scene designing over osb is just way too hard, and it's horrible to cut. I also don't use anything less that 1/2" thickness because anything else usually gets destroyed in 1 weekend with the customers we normally get.
        Brian Warner
        Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
        Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
        Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Or destroyed by actors, nothing like walking into a room and finding an actor with his foot stuck in the wall where he was doing a flip off the wall LOL.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X