HauntWorld's Top 13 List 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frightland Haunted Attraction - St. Georges, Delaware

Frightland wants to be considered for best Haunted Attraction.

Frightland features 8 full attractions:

- The Dark Millennium Hayride
    - Barn of Horror
    - Idalia Manor
    - The Attic
    - Redemption Ghost Town
    - Forgotten insane asylum
    - The Haunted Woods
    - Reedy Point Penitentiary
    - Amusement Rides

The video for Frightland, one the east coast's hottest haunted attractions for over 10 years, appears below.

Last edited by skendus; 04-19-2008, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Abomination

We once made videos like these every year for the cue line, but we stopped because they slowed down the throughput. Now with the You Tube craze I guess we are going to go back to them! The creature suit was a custom full body suit, and you can glimpse a few big animatronics in the background, at least one modified.

Thanks!

Ben
      NETHERWORLD
      www.Fearworld.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe-XKJ-pGVo
      Ben Armstrong
      NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
      www.Fearworld.com
      www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Ben,

That was great! Very creative with the editing and the body suit was insane looking. It leaves you wanting more and I'm sure it was a big hit in the cue line. You guys set a very high standard for the haunt industry with every thing you do from the haunt itself to the icon characters right down to the videos for the cue line.

Eric
        www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I have one question about this contest, if I may, and I say this with complete respect to everyone participating. Though all events are required to make videos and post them in order to be considered, the final judgement is not going to be based solely on the videos, right? I do like the idea that each haunt should have uploaded some sort of footage or promo video to support their attraction, but if that is the only criteria for this then this is a video editing contest rather than a haunted house one. No video can truly express the experience of being to any one of these great events, and because of this I believe some are faced with an unfortunate handicap. I do not say this as a criticism, but more of a suggestion, and with respect. I view being on Hauntworlds Top 13 as a great honor, but feel those who will win the spots should be there for the right reasons. Again, I think having all attractions upload videos is a wonderful push for expanding media and creating a greater hype for the industry, but feel that the promo videos are merely complimentary to the true experience. This would be, as they say, judging a book by its cover.
            - - Luke - -

Comment

Very True! Basing something like this on videos alone is exactly that....a video editing contest! I think that is one of the reasons Larry wanted actual haunt footage in the videos...to at least get a taste of the attraction. It is a similar effect with web sites..There are many excellent websites, but without a bunch of haunt pictures on the site you are left with a best website contest! Then of course in many cases you then have a best photography contest! Or a best theme writing contest...etc...
              As we all know every experience in a haunt is very personal, the most amazing haunt ever built could be ruined for a guest because an actor stepped on his toe.
              The reality is the best you can do in a case like this is take the sum of the parts, Videos, Photos, Websites, advertising materials, years in the business, and the general consensus of patrons and haunters who have been to the event, and make your choices.

What is a better movie, Star Wars or Sophies Choice? Depends on the reviewer I guess.

Thanks!

Ben Armstrong
              NETHERWORLD
              Ben Armstrong
              www.Fearworld.com

Comment

Ssp

You could have not said that any better. You are 110% right good job in the posting!
                sigpic

Comment

These last few posts bring back one of the more common and logical of the "Treisch-isms". "Just because you can put together a good video or website doesn't mean you can put together a good haunted house."

Very well put, gentlemen.
                  To look meant danger, to smile meant death!

Comment

Actiondeath...

Another hit on the nail post. I myself have seen a few of these "doctored" video's went to the attraction to find that it was nothing as posted in the video advertizement. On the flip side I have seen haunts that did not use these "doctored" videos only to see a plain but to the point advertizement went to it and it was more than I expected!! Video should not be the deciding factor in a haunt. Graystone Manor.
                    Last edited by graystone; 04-21-2008, 07:28 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

That said...here is ANOTHER one, a trailer from an upcoming Haunted Media issue on our haunt. I for one have been enjoying seeing these videos, there are some amazing ones here! It does point out the fact that in a you tube world we all need to take this aspect of our marketing more seriously, just like we all realised the importance of a good website and graphics a few years ago.

BTW My browser doesn't show the toolbar so I cannot embed these myself -

Thanks!

Ben Armstrong
                      NETHERWORLD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoYsN1Ro__8
                      Ben Armstrong
                      www.Fearworld.com

Comment

Another good one Ben! I have enjoyed watching all of the videos also. They are all so different from each other it makes them fun to watch. You are right, to judge a haunt solely on their video would be crazy. Larry is also right in saying if you don't have any videos of your haunt how can anyone tell what it looks like besides actually going to it?

At the risk of posting to many, here is one last clip. It may be my favorite because it is very short and to the point. We tried to show how the haunt looks with a good photo and then show some good reactions of horrified people. Some of these reactions are priceless. Listen closely near the end. A girl says while trying to catch her breath. " I should have brought my Puffer" meaning her inhaler. I thought that said it all.

Good luck to all that post and keep the videos coming.

Eric

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

This question has been asked of me...

Will we accept a tv commercial as a legit form of video of your event?

The answer is NO!

If you've added a TV commercial they will NOT be accepted as a valid form of video. If you have added one great, thanks we love to see them but NO you will not be added to the final mix.

Additionally if you have one of these creative videos that shows like someone torturing people in one room, or in other words a creative video but it doesn't show off your attraction we probably will NOT count that either.

WE NEED TO SEE YOUR ATTRACTION, NOT HOW CREATIVE YOU ARE WITH A VIDEO CAMERA AND AN EDITING MACHINE...

Some are saying...

WE DO NOT HAVE A VIDEO... oh well... you do have a camera so go into your haunted house right now and walk through lights on and all and upload it today. Was your haunt on the news, travel channel anything? Put it up on youtube and get that link here quickly. But whatever video you add make sure it showcases your haunt!

The countdown is on...

Hurry up!

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President

Comment

Well, if we can post videos produced by other organizations, then I will throw this in the mix...
                            Graveside Manor for the Home Haunt catagory

Video from our feature in FEARnet's "America's Scariest Home Haunt"

Footage featured on Channel 3's "Better Connecticut". This was very light hearted, shot during the day, Scot Haney gave it a very fun atmosphere.
                            Last edited by SSP; 04-28-2008, 10:16 AM.
                            - - Luke - -

Comment

You can post news stories, travel channel segments, hand held walk through of the event, montages anything, anything, anything that simply shows us your haunted house either in action or lights on but NO television commercials and no creative pieces that show off your video making skills but show hardly anything from inside your haunts.

WE WANT TO SEE YOUR HAUNT!

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President

Comment

i cant waite 2 c the top list Larry!!!!!!!

-Taylor

Comment

Working...
                                X