Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• real tree branches

Hi,

AfteR looking through many haunt websites, it looks like maybe some of you use real and fake tree branches in your sets(unless the fake ones look THAT good). So, is this a common practice, cutting real branches and using them for your scenes? I would assume you can easily spray flame retardant on them with no problems....Otherwise, it would seem to be very expensive to use fakes ones for scenes requiring an outdoor or overgrown forest in them......What do you do?

Thanks,

DARKANGEL

Does any one use fake Christmas Trees for their haunt?

Mr. Haunt

Comment

Most fire inspectors will not allow any real vegetation in your haunt. Real trees, hay, bushes, flowers and grass are usually a big no-no. I think that what you see are artificial unless the haunts are sneaking these things in after their inspection. Some inspectors may let a minimal amount of it in, with proper fire retardant treatment. It is all very flammable.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
      Owner
      Deadly Intentions Haunted House (prison)
      www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com
      1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Last year we used fake christmas trees and we made fake tree's and branches using monster mud for our swamp room. Turned out very well. When all the major overhead lights are out only using very dim lights and fog. Looks awesome!
        ~Bill Mlinac
        The Deadland Haunted House
        www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
        www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Motograter,

Do you have any pics of your scene?

Thanks guys,
          Darkangel

Comment

Getting someone poked in the eye by a tree branch would be a bigger possible danger than anything else, people are walking and running in a dark setting...
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Jim,

I would never put things like that in the way of people, just in sets to create the mood.....

Darkangel

Comment

We use fake Christmas trees. We use whole ones and we take large ones and carnage them. You may still find some "free" ones on craigslist (after Christmas there are TONS) or list that you are looking for some on the "wanted" page on your craigslist. Also list that you are looking for ficus or fake houseplant greenery. It's about that time of year that Big Lots will carry large decorative fake trees too (many different sizes).
                Blood & Kisses,

~ Nicole

Production Team Member
                The White Star Farm
                "Hey Baby, this blood's for you."

Comment

We use some scrub oak in our swamp. We have it in the back of the scene and drape it with odd scraps of cammo. The fire marshall does require us to spray it but has no problems with us using it. Mike
                  Mike Bizub

Ghouls Gulch www.GHOULSGULCH.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                    Motograter,

Do you have any pics of your scene?

Thanks guys,
                    Darkangel
                    I will check my computer files for them once I get home. I am at work right now using the computer.
                    ~Bill Mlinac
                    The Deadland Haunted House
                    www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
                    www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

When I was at Rocky Point last year, they had alot of real trees and branches....the just sprayed it with fire retardant
                      Greg Salyers
                      Fear Entertainment

Comment

Trees and Limbs

I have seen some impressive vines, tree branches even big trees that are fake with real branches as detail. The thing they all had in common was that they were painted, probably seasoned. In other words allowed to dry out for several months to a year and then painted.

Then basically you have painted wood. That can have fire retardant in the paint as well as a utility spray prior the season. One memorable scene is white trees on a tilt floor that you must actually use the trees to steady your trek. They were painted white with some cool lighting. I think they had no bark on them.

To be acceptable, everything must be a synthetic recreation of real things? What's next? Everything must also be bio degradable, never stored but hosed down in to an inert foam at the end of the season, then microwaved to reduce any disease and contamination. A whole 6,000 SF block of a haunted house will fit into a 55 gallon drum and have a disposal fee of $500 per barrel.

If customers are going to be exposed to real things, they must be given face shields and gloves. Is this the haunted house for Bubble Boy? All spooky scenes will be contained in positively ventilated see through bubbles of specified vinyl that must each be monitored that nothing real ever escapes and somehow endangers patrons. They must wear shoe booties that are disposed of in a special area exiting the haunt so as not to possibly drag anything real or the residue of something real into the real world.

I'll be busy making up even more rules. All off season haunted house foam residue barrels must be removed from the premisis by a licensed professional and stored in an undisclosed location somewhere in Nevada.
                        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

All of this sure sounds expensive but just wait til you add in the armed helicopter escourt!
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I’m always on the look out for old fake Christmas trees. I use them for all sorts of greenery. I made a topiary tree using some branches of one. I only have an unfinished picture of it without the painted trunk, but you can see here: (it’s the one in the center)
                            http://tinyurl.com/2s6s2p
                            http://www.theironkingdom.com

Comment

That's really cool Ironman! Thanks a lot guys. I guess I'll see what my Fire Marshall thinks if I can spray it. All fake ones would be extremely costly.

Thanks,
                              DARKANGEL

Comment

Working...
                              X