Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you weather a Freddy Krueger sweater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you weather a Freddy Krueger sweater?

I have a 30.00 sweater I bought at the store. I got the david miller mask pt. 5, and glove. Just dont feel like droppin another hundred or 2 on the sweater if I can weather it myself! Plus i'd like the feeling of accomplishment =D

"Weather it"? You mean make it look tattered and used?

Comment

exactly! Thought thats what weathered meant.

Comment

Sometimes I hear it refered to as "waterproofing".

Anyway, with a pair of scissors you can poke/cut small holes. And trim the bottom, end of sleeve where the hands are, and neck of the sweater in irregular triangular patterns (be sure to change the size and angle of your cuts). I suggest you find an old rag or sheet to practice on first. If your sweater has two layers then it'd probably be best to cut the very bottom (and only the bottom) of the sweater to seperate the two. Then cut the bottom each layer in their own way. I doubt you'll have to worry about it falling apart given how it's sown at the arms and shoulders. By the way, don't cut the sowing, it keeps the sweater held together.

If you wish to make your sweater "gritty" and don't mind a little filth. Find some semi-dry dirt and smear/rub small amounts across the sweater. This will stain the sweater and any dirt clumps should fall off. If the sweater is made of cotton, it should be easily get the stuff off in the wash (that is, if you think putting dirt all over it was a mistake).
        Last edited by Smiley; 10-11-2007, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Latex paint taking the part of mere dirt makes the "dirt" more dependable, not prone to flaking away or becoming actual mud if rain or persperation comes to play.
          Distressing fabric can be as much fun as laying the piece on the sidewalk and hammering it repeatedly with a small sledge hammer. The fabric gets thinner and thinner, know when to stop though.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

For next year - Dig a hole in your back yard 6-10 weeks before your event. Bury the clothes and realistic weathered clothes are now dug up.

Comment

I'd just take a torch to it
              Slash
              "If you fail to plan, plan to fail"

Comment

Weathering....

Ok, here's the way. I know everyone says dirt and grime but who actually wants to wear dirty clothes? I know I don't!!! Can anyone say hygiene?

Take either permanant ink or dye and you can use a dropper to give a spotty stained look. If you want a faded or bleached look you can splash it with bleach very lightly, as long as it's a fabric that will bleach or use fabric paint thru an airbrush.

In the particualr case of Freddy, after carefully tattering the edges of the neck, waist, and sleeves with scissors, I'd simply buy grey, brown or black (which ever color you think looks best, I prefer black) in an opaque airbrush fabric paint (available at most craft stores) and airbrush it on the sweater in moderation. His sweater never looks like it's totally charred so start off with a little dirt and then work at it till you get it where you like it. Reference photos always help if you can find some! I would practive on a rag or scrap piece of cloth before you totally mess up the sweater you're going to use.

Then either leave it in the back of your car on a really hot day for an hour, or throw it in the dryer for 30 minutes on high to set the paint. Viola! After careful washing it wil not come out and you will have permanant dirt on the sweater without being a filthy pig and smelling like you've come out of the ground. Customers and co-workers DO NOT want to SMELL you, no matter how you authentic you think it is!!! I've sent smelly workers home from my haunt for not having good hygeine. Trust me!

Gahaunter
                Last edited by Gahaunter; 10-11-2007, 07:30 AM.
                Lee D. Sanders

Comment

Thanks so much guys! All your advice is very helpful, I'm going to try Gahaunter's way of staining and cut the neck/arms the way I was told!

What do you mean by airbrush it on the sweater in moderation though more specifically? I want this to be done right, so sorry for the dumb question!

Also, can anyone show a picture of their freddy sweaters? I'm looking for them but, the more I see the better.

Thanks so much.

Comment

Weathering....

SharkyZz,

What I mean is, spray on a your weathering (paint) very lightly. It's always easier to add more if it's not dark enough but if you spray too much you can't take it off.

Just test spray a few things on a scrap piece of fabric and see what works best for you. Keep slow and steady strokes and it will turn out great.

Gahaunter
                    Lee D. Sanders

Comment

We work in a cave so all of our actors smell like sweat and dirt anyway. I'll take authentic dirt over spray on, for our application. Sure they stink, but that's why they invented Febreeze and Lysol!

W/ 95% humidity our folks work up a sweat real quick. I agree some cases might be better w/ paint. But nothing like the funk of Cave Dirt on an actor...

Comment

Working...
                      X