Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on building large tree roots...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on building large tree roots...

Hey guys. I'm wanting to build large tree roots that wrap around existing structures giving an overgrown look. Large free hanging vines as well. I'm hoping for suggestions on the best way to go about this. I have an outdoor haunt so durability is a must. Thanks!

there are tons of ways to build tree roots but if you need something weather resistant then you are limiting the supplies you use.

I would say your best options are going to be fiberglass or concrete as your end result finish. If you were in doors you could finish with foam or burlap, almost anything

I would start w lumber structure. 2 x 4 or 2 x 2, and create the raw shape you want. Then cover with hardware cloth or some other heavy wire mesh, then wrap that in burlap and hopper spray with synergy concrete mix for a permanent fixture.
    If you don't need it so permanent you could spray with tigerfoam of other heavy duty insulation foam but you will have to also hard coat it. That would last for some years but it would start showing wear from uv and weather damage pretty quickly.

Just some ideas.
    Kevin R. Alvey
    info at gore-galore.com
    www.gore-galore.com
    www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
    www.youtube.com/goregalore13
    www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Start with drain tile the same stuff we use for fog... it bends, its long and can be shaped any way you want. Another thing you can do is take PVC pipe cut it with a table saw and heat it up while you bend it to make wicked tree branches or something...

Bit if you are looking to MAKE HUGE vines... I would take the drain tile, wrap it in say jute or something along those lines then coat it with latex and paint away.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Chicken Wire

If you're trying to achieve a true tree root texture, try molding chicken wire into root shapes and then cover it with paper mache. Do a layer of paper mache and use stucko to help bond the peices together. Chicken wire is fairly easy to scuplt into the shapes you're wanting. It will also allow you to make them free standing if you want. Wrap the wire around a solid object like PVC for more stability.

Comment

Wow, lots of awesome suggestions! Thank you so much. I'm hitting the shop with these ideas. Will probably end up trying them all

Comment

Working...
          X