X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deathwing
    replied
    Allen,

True. But McDonald's charges the same price and has the same tasting food in every restaurant, it's not like within McDonalds there is low quality food in one and a less successful one has nasty food. In haunt terms it would show a high level of shows across the board all of a good quality.

In my travels I've found that there used to be more low budget haunts but they are fading out. As we grow as an industry we start getting used to a certain level of quality. If you are used to going to elite level haunts in your area you will not be going to pay to see home made bodies and caution tape you're going to go see Hollywood quality sets. Why wouldn't you?

If you are able to afford steak and good food why would you still buy potted meat and sardines (unless you happens to love it lol) but if you can do better you will.

Some people just might not be ready to open a haunt. Some might not have the means financially or the creativity. It used to seem like anyone off the street who loved Halloween could start a haunt and call themselves a pro. Now, having haunts that push it to the next level that will more likely prevent would be haunters who would never strive to own a world class haunt or the fast buck Freddie's who would bring the quality of haunts in that market way down think twice. Not everyone can say "hell I like roller coasters and rides I think I'll build myself and amusement park and open it to the public" so why should that same person do that for our industry?

The haunt business is and should always be a business now that's how we evolved from cheesy to revolutionary. And if you're not in the position to open a quality show that helps move the industry forward then you should probably just do a home haunt until your lot improves.

Jake
    Last edited by Deathwing; 04-23-2013, 07:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Allen H
    replied
    "I think that eventually there won't be any shoe string budget haunts. Either you can come up with the capital to compete or it's not worth trying. It used to be possible to get get by on tarps and black walls and bad costumes because no one else around was great now haunts are cutting edge and can indeed challenge movies and amusement parks as Allen mentioned."

Jake, I couldnt disagree more. We will always have shoestring budget haunts just like we will always have Mcdonalds. People actually like them too, that is the odd part. They are fun, they are not over processed, and they do decent numbers. Small shoestring haunts are all over- most of their owners have never been to transworld and dont realize it is an industry. They are not all competing with theme park because they settle into a niche and stay there, completely happy to do 2-3,000 people in a season. I honestly think that is half the industry. Both ends of the spectrum are not represented here, only the upper half. The over head for this style of haunt is minimal so they can operate indefinitely if they own the land.

Theme, pacing, Sound and lighting design are non existant- but the fear that the next actor you meet could really be a murderous meth head is prevelant. They have an appeal- it is not how we run a show but it is a way.

Mud-get me your address and I will send you my design DVD free of charge, it may give you some ideas. A haunt on no budget can still be awesome. The main issue everyone sees is that you are using the things that you think you should be using- things that Halloween retail tells you to use, mixed with enough of what you see at TW to be dangerous. This is a great chance for a long thread where many pros can help you. You love Halloween, I love Halloween- take what we say as friendly advice.
    Allen H

Leave a comment:

• Darkangel
    replied
    Originally posted by Marr Branch View Post
    Who know's maybe it is bad ass in the dark. I do know the scariest place I have ever been is in the swamp at night. No actors, no props, no lights, no clowns, no chainsaws. The right environment and one's own imagination is all it takes.
    That's true but the difference is you're not paying good money to see that swamp. It's free and it's creepy but its not an attraction. If its an attraction that expects people to pay money it needs to be worth it. Would you feel satisfied paying for a haunt using caution tape and tarps and broken mannequins?

DA

Leave a comment:

• Marr Branch
    replied
    Who know's maybe it is bad ass in the dark. I do know the scariest place I have ever been is in the swamp at night. No actors, no props, no lights, no clowns, no chainsaws. The right environment and one's own imagination is all it takes.

Leave a comment:

• Deathwing
    replied
    I think everyone has already offered well meaning constructive criticism on this thread.
    I think that eventually there won't be any shoe string budget haunts. Either you can come up with the capital to compete or it's not worth trying. It used to be possible to get get by on tarps and black walls and bad costumes because no one else around was great now haunts are cutting edge and can indeed challenge movies and amusement parks as Allen mentioned.

If you're in an area that doesn't have big budget haunts yet consider yourself lucky because once they come if you're not up to the top standard or offer something completely unique the guests will just go to the ones they know and proven.

Jake

Leave a comment:

• damon carson
    replied
    To all in ?

Im sure Mud is on a zero to no money budget here. Allen does have some good youtube videos you can watch and make affordable props out of alot of household items. There are alot of methods home haunters use such as dumpster diving ect to obtain and make things to turn into props. Craigslist is a good place to go to find free things. Alot of cheap halloween items can be painted or dressed up to look better. There are alot of haunted house videos on youtube as well you can watch to get ideas. The thing is Mud is trying. He does have pictures to show so he is haunting. Mud dont get discouraged, we all started somewhere.
    Damon
    www.frightmasters.weebly.com

Leave a comment:

• MDKing
    replied
    Originally posted by Allen H View Post
    I actually have no doubt that this could be an incredibly scary trail (for many reasons). If this is a single layer then it is a good start. More of this, more sight break up, more junk on different planes and eyelines.
    I think this is standard haunted house stuff here, this is the norm or just below it. My assumption is that this haunt is actor driven, nothing wrong with that at all.Just add more things to be good distractions. And watch my videos, make some bodies, keep adding layers.

Allen, with all due respect for Mudsticky (we all started somewhere) if this is standard haunted house stuff here then we need to stop calling ourselves an industry and even so much as trying to call ourselves professionals. This may have been standard haunted house stuff 30-40 years ago but fortunately, those days are long past.

We have to remember here we're trying to compete with amusements parks and movies now. The game has changed we can't charge people professional money for an unprofessional venue.

Mudsticky, I would advise you to push yourself and your creativity to the limits. Visit all the best haunts in your region. Watch every video and read every article you can get your hands on. I also always try to ask myself when building a scene or adding scares "would this scare me or impress me?" If the answer is no, then it's doubtful it will for anyone else. Good luck!!

Allan

Leave a comment:

• Motograter
    replied
    I'm sorry I don't know what to think. I'm not knocking anything but it just looks like a bunch of yellow caution tape and bed sheets.

Leave a comment:

• Allen H
    replied
    I actually have no doubt that this could be an incredibly scary trail (for many reasons). If this is a single layer then it is a good start. More of this, more sight break up, more junk on different planes and eyelines.
    I think this is standard haunted house stuff here, this is the norm or just below it. My assumption is that this haunt is actor driven, nothing wrong with that at all.Just add more things to be good distractions. And watch my videos, make some bodies, keep adding layers.

Leave a comment:

• Darkangel
    replied
    I'm thinking that these pics are not for real? Maybe it was part of an old amateur attraction and Mudsticky plans to revamp it? I believe this to be the case because when you see the amazing pics posted by Larry, and the great wooden sets built by Eric Lowther, these pics look more like Billy Bobs back yard home haunt charging a $2 admission.

This is not a means to discredit Mudsticky because I believe that everyone loves to see build pics and its something we all can learn from but these pics show a level that could benefit an immense amount of feedback and positive reinforcement.

Good luck with your build. If your pics are in progress pics, I'd suggest getting a little further along the process and then share some of your pics.

DA

Leave a comment:

• FrightProps
    replied
    Really??

Um... Interesting. Are you posting these pictures because you want feedback or to show off your work?

Doug.

Leave a comment:

• Darkangel
    replied
    Originally posted by Howie Slobber Erlich View Post
    Ummm........
    Again, what he said.

DA

Leave a comment:

• Howie Slobber Erlich
    replied
    Ummm........

Leave a comment:

• Dark Tiki Studios
    replied
    I'd like to see how it looks when lit!

Leave a comment:

• Deathwing
    replied
    Are these pics of before or after shots?

If after I fear most of your sets might not last until the fall and good winds will wreak havoc.

Jake

Leave a comment:

Working...
X