No announcement yet.

Future Tradeshow Location - St Louis Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to see a haunt stick to a theme as thoroughly as we do... Just saying.

Allan

Comment

Again,
      I am with Adam.
      I totally agree with Kip on this.
      I am sure ALL west coast vendors would like to see the show move their direction. But there have been some shows out that way and they do not exist anymore.

My company is 2 hours from St Louis so freight is not an issue. We will be hauling in 2 26' penski trucks.
      If we were to freight our product it would be 1 full tractor trailer full. Yes, we would buy the whole carrier.
      It is about $3000 guaranteed to do that. AND we would have to trust that they would arrive in time.

You know I have been doing Tradeshows since the 90s. And I could NOT be happier than I am right now with how St Louis works.
      It is super convenient to get to the convention center from the hotels. I have dealt with much worse unions at every other location.
      There is food everywhere. I mean I have never had such ease of being able to find something decent. That was NOT the case at ANY other convention location.
      There are good places to hang out too. AND that is critical.

I would never do Vegas again, It was simply the worst experience we ever had even though it was a financial breaking point for us. Yes, that means we did well. But it was a huge hassle. now with taking close to 20 people to work our booth. It is not going to happen.
      Chicago was great in the day. But again having St Louis to compare it to, It pales in comparison.
      St Louis hands down in every way. Especially since my company has grown so much and we have 10 booths to fill.
      We can't afford to ship that much product anywhere.
      Transworld would never have moved the show from Chicago if they had not lost the halloween show. But it was the best thing that could ever have happened.

IAAPA used to move between 2 cities. Atlanta and Orlando.
      Orlando is a theme park town. so that is the perfect fit, for IAAPA
      But I really have no interest in Transworld going to Orlando.
      I am sorry to say, but I might even have to tell them that I would NOT go.
      That would be the moment that would break my company away from the tradeshow.
      I would start looking at other avenues of marketing our products and would stop doing tradeshows all together.
      Nothing against anyone or any show.
      It is just so hard making a profit regardless, and to add another thousands of dollars to travel to a different location is out in my book.
      No matter where they move it, it will NOT get less expensive. It is ALL has tradeoffs.

Sure! Some people are bored of the location.
      BUT... It is supposed to be what happens inside the hall that matters. Provide vendors with an easy access location, that isn't too expensive. Allow them to get comfortable and you will get the best products they can offer from them. If you move our company. Our booth will size down, product variety will drop, etc... It would hurt us in many ways.

I just say be happy with what you have. I could NOT be happier with what we have.
      Kevin R. Alvey
      info at gore-galore.com
      www.gore-galore.com
      www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
      www.youtube.com/goregalore13
      www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Kevin!

There, that is what I was waiting to hear. Yeah, I would "like" other areas for convention...but I know ease of getting crap into a show floor is very important. And Kevin saying with all other places they have been, St. Louis is easiest. I now regretably, but whole heartedly drop support I lent to Orlando location.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Kevin brings up a very interesting point... stop going to tradeshows. I'm going to say this outloud but tradeshows in general have lost a lot of value. Not all but many. Look at Unit 70 when is the last time he's been to a tradeshow and since that time he's one of the busiest companies in the haunt industry, he bought a new building, produces great products and here is the kicker he doesn't even update this website, no facebook page nothing. And he's thriving like never before.

I am for the first time ever SERIOUSLY considering NOT exhibiting at IAAPA first time in 20 years. Why? Because as great as the show is the buyers aren't coming anymore... additionally its not really a buyers show so you talk to people and you may not hear back from them for 5 years.

I have not got ONE SINGLE JOB from IAAPA in like 3 years. I have met a lot of people but leave empty handed.

I am about 95% going to SKIP IAAPA in 2013. Don't get me wrong as a buyer I would still love to attend but as an exhibitor thinking about skipping it. Not worth the investment.

Transworld on the other is a buyers show its a rare show these days where buyers show up with money and buy stuff. But as they saw and experienced when they moved the show to Vegas vendors lost money and they lost buyers. This show can't move to the east or west coast because its an industry that really demands a central location to keep costs low for everyone. If Transworld moved the show to Orlando or Vegas or LA, or New York City, or something that extreme I wouldn't even attend. If the show goes back to Chicago I won't attend because I'm not dealing with those horrible unions, and ice cold wind and hotels that cost like 2 million dollars a night.

Not doing it! I won't go!

Move the show sure... but keep it central, keep it cheap, and keep it fun something CHICAGO NEVER WAS! The highlight of Chicago was hanging out in a hotel... that was the SOLE highlight. Who can argue that point? In St. Louis people are going out, going to haunt tours, city museum, organizing events, parties, bowling , and still hanging out in a hotel.

As for haunts I like... I would like more if haunt owners would start threads on this site and post photos and videos.

I only go by what I see posted here.

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I think Hot-lanta and opening Netherworld up would be cool. Maybe CO and or TX would be nice too.

I do wish as busy as Unit 70 was, he would take more pictures as I don't even know what he's selling now.

Comment

Hi guys, I just want to take a second to share my thoughts too.

I am 20. I've owned my own DJ business for a few years now on my own, in that market, I don't need to attend any tradeshows and I spend about $300/yr on marketing and obtaining customers, not including donations I make to charitable causes in the form of services.

I opened my first haunt this past year without attending Transworld. And although we faced challenges and I had to sacrifice some of my personal goals for design, we ended up alright.

Now, I NEVER thought I'd be a haunt vendor. EVER. However, I got fed up with crap vendors, and out of sheer frustration decided to get my feet wet. Luckily, I know an INCREDIBLE artist I am proud to be partnered with.

We haven't even made it to the show yet, and I'm already $9,000 in the hole, (for this show alone). I don't come from money, and I work way harder than anyone I know personally to make a living while in school. Compared to the $300 I mentioned before, I am SWEATING just seeing how much money I have into this. HOWEVER, I am confident and prepared for every possible outcome at Transworld. Being a first year and smaller vendor, I created realistic limits on how many orders per item we will accept. I don't want to be rich doing this. I want to network and make people happy. I'd rather have 25 orders and 25 extremely satisfied customers saying good things about me, as opposed to 2500 orders and a bunch of pissed people trash talking me for taking forever to fulfill their orders. WHY does this apply to this thread??

Well, if the show moves, my worry is seeing a drop in attendance and a drop in serious buyers. As much paperwork and terrible union stuff, (and Transworld selling all of my info to third parties who won't stop harassing me to buy their services for the show), I KNOW that Transworld in St Louis has BUYERS, and RESPECTABLE BUYERS. I am relying on their client base for the St Louis location to bring in as many people as possible, even if it is expensive for a small company like me to get there. I know that if the show moves east and makes things easier on me, I'll have a harder time selling. As a vendor I'd rather work harder and spend more KNOWING that we will be in contact will cash in hand buyers, as opposed to a bunch of smaller guys happy the show moved closer to them, that just want to take pictures of our cool looking stuff....not buy it.

Stay in St Louis! Stay in St Louis! Stay in St Louis! Is my vote all day long! Gotta look at the big picture, and the overall impact a move would have. Like Larry and Kevin stated earlier, its what's inside the convention center that matters, not how you get there or how often you've been there.
              Last edited by screamforadream; 02-25-2013, 05:55 PM. Reason: Grammar fix

Comment

Im not knocking St. Louis

I have enjoyed it but I have seen it over and over and over again. Does Larry have a great show? NO he has an AWSOME, AMAZING SHOW HANDS DOWN! Is the Ren nice? YES but it's not the only nice hotel. There is cities it could go where we could see 6,8, a dozen haunts over a few day period! And YES we are there for a show but it closes at 5pm! I am sure lots of haunts would love the drive it would put into them to remodel their shows and be able to have the Industry contribute to their season remodel and have it done for the year. I mean honestly that's what Larry does and hey why not captalize on that. EVERYONE would he may or may not get all of his money back but he sure gets some back it's no secret and again that's not faulting him because EVERYONE WOULD LOVE THAT CHANCE AND EVERYONE WOULD. Well I say everyone BUT me and Paul from Atrox. We have said we would open our doors for free I would in a heart beat and hell I would love to open our food court and feed everyone on the house! I think were the only two that could care less about the money and I would love the acknowledgment it would bring to us for opening to the Industry for free to me that's the ultimate complement to give I rather have a pat on the back and a THANK YOU THAN THE MONEY ANYDAY! Why do you think we bring in the celebrities to the show on our dime? We dont make a penny off that! It's for the Industry.

Now for the record I am not saying I would want it in Bama I would love to see it in a town that I can visit other haunts other than my own. I think St. Louis is slowly going up on their rates if it were not the case then it would still be free. Does the 50 bucks make or break anyone NO but hey they got to pass the increased rates somewhere and that's now on the buyers. Had they not went up then there would have been no reason for the charge. I see the 50 just a start trust me it will keep going up! I have said it time and time again Move it around spread it out where not only have the show in a different city but have it where we can see other cities and other haunts. Will that ever happen? LMAO my money is NO the politics are way to strong. But it's a nice thought! Shane and it's this is my opinion only.
                Last edited by graystone; 02-25-2013, 09:24 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Shane,
                  Why don't you just start your own haunt convention?
                  Shanapoluza!
                  there are SOOOO many of them now, I am sure you could make it work.

then you can have it wherever the hell you want
                  Kevin R. Alvey
                  info at gore-galore.com
                  www.gore-galore.com

sigpic

Comment

As long as you got Leatherface you cant go wrong.

Comment

Kevin

I dont want my own show I am not in the business and could care less to get into it. My opinion though you may not agree is just my opinion. Am I right? Are you right? Is Obama right? No thankfully we live in a world where we all see things in a different way. If by smacking me with a cheap shot makes your point stronger than have at it. At the end of the day will it change how I look at things? No will it change at how you look at things? No. And for the record I think Texas would be cool. Also by having a company that does not make my living off of a haunted house it's harder for me to attend the other shows Kevin votes to keep it in St. Louis it's only a 2 hour drive for him LOL oh shoot were not voting we are having a public opinion. If it stays in St. Louis will I go yes unless I get tired my point is if we look I am sure there is other possibilities if given the chance. Shane and it's a thread on opinions not whos right or wrong

And Marr yes he will cut you up and skin you........ Cue the music
                      Orlando NO!
                      Chicago NO!
                      Vegas! NO, NO, NO!
                      Last edited by graystone; 02-25-2013, 09:45 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Moving Transworld to Vegas or Orlando is in my opinion a terrible idea. Themore things there are to do on a town the more people will do non convention things, and not support the convention or the conventions activities. I was at Vegas- vendors didnt even man their booths, they just left pilesof catalogs and gambled. there was also no central meeting place like the ren grand bar- so many hotels equals less saturation of haunters. Its a long drive for me to go to the show Im out $2000 just for moving product and airfare for a few on top of that. Im in Dallas, I wouldnt mind it being here (that would save me a ton LOL) but it does well in st Louis, why mess with it.
                        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Told Don Today !!!!!!!!

Next Year March 22nd Is Just Awe-some ! =) Have even more new props with extra time...Love it.. Better weather, Better Drive, no worries...I remember In 2007 Chicago That crazy
                          Snow storm that was hitting the show...Who needs that crap..Only hurts the show Sunday was a ghost town everyone left..and as far as ST Louis did you guys hit that Chinese restaurant near the crown plaza..Um best i ever had..and that's from a New Yorker we have lots of it here.

See ya all soon

LARRY BET SOME MORE ON WARM WEATHER PLEASE!

Nothing worse then unloading in the freezing wet snow after a long fought drive holding your pee..
                          Last edited by CreepyCollectionProps; 02-25-2013, 11:58 PM. Reason: type o

Comment

I think the least important aspect of the show is concerning a bar to meet at like the Ren or Crowne in Rosemont, it's about the show itself. Orlando has the best weather but it will not go there. It's fine where it's at.

DA

Comment

The weather is always an issue with me. I hate the cold and the wind and the cold snow and cold rain. I have been coming to St. Louis for at least 5 years now, and only one year was the weather somewhat reasonable. Most of the time the wind just howls or it's raining or snowing. I drive up so if there is a chance of sleet and snow I'm out. Right now I am a bit nervous about the weather. Dallas does not sound like a bad idea at all to me. There are a huge number of great haunts there, wonderful hotels and convention center(s). The only attractions they have are 6 flags and a water park, I think. No gambling. HauntCon will be in Dallas in April. Just a thought. I do love St. Louis. I think it's just beautiful and full of so much history. I don't mind the 10 hour drive at all it's just the weather every year can be a bit iffy. I'm a wimp I know. Just a thought, like Allen, I would not mind Dallas or even Shreveport for that matter. Texas is right in the middle of the country, just sayin.....

Sue
                              http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

Shane,
                                I am sorry if you didn't realize I was just kidding.
                                I am sorry if I offended you.
                                That was not my intention.

However, you know what. Your's is an "opinion" as a buyer. Mine is not. Mine is a life changing decision as a vendor who gets up to 50% of their yearly income directly at this tradeshow, and another 20 to 30% as followups from this tradeshow. This show is amazing to us.

I really don't think many other vendor's have such large stakes in this show that we do.
                                It is a fact the show works for us right where it is at. It has never worked so well anywhere else over the past 15 years. Yes, I have 15 years of transworld shows to compare it to. I am not speaking for any other vendor. And again, this is NOT an opinion, this is fact. Pure fact.

I am speaking as the representative of MY company, and if Transworld wanted to sit down and have a talk about moving the show this is exactly what they would hear from a company that plays a large role in this show.

Changing it could not only hurt my business but could put us out of business. And if they were to talk of moving the show. Again I would have to take a stand on it.

Why fix what isn't broken. It is working better than it ever has. Moving a show drops attendance. It doesn't grow. It slows then it has to build again. In order to grow the #s they would have to cut the $50 attendance charge. Guess who has to foot that bill? The vendor's would. Then Transworld would have to open up their admittance policy to boost the #s so the vendors would get to see more faces but less qualified buyers. Again, that would cost the vendor's more time and money because they are spending more time with people who may like their work but were not serious about buying, and that cuts into the time they are able to spend with the REAL buyers, such as yourself. SO yes, moving the show could not only hurt my business but put us out of business, SO why would I be ok with that.
                                I think you would understand that being a true businessman yourself.
                                I wasn't even going to weigh in on this thread. I really try not to get embroiled in this stuff.
                                I am not out to offend anyone.
                                But I was asked to voice my position and you got it, like it or not.
                                Kevin R. Alvey
                                info at gore-galore.com
                                www.gore-galore.com

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X