X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreamreaper
    replied
    Originally posted by Evernight View Post
    Yes but again.....it comes down to those who will abide by the law....and those who do not. Sure guns laws work great for those that will abide by them - it has been proven time and time again people who are intent on killing others will find a way to do it, knives, bombs, hell even recently a bow was used......I didn't see anything about controlling bow usage.

No one knows how to stop these things - laws may curb a few incidents but if someone is set on destroying other peoples lives they will find a way.
    Well said.

Leave a comment:

• Dreamreaper
    replied
    He would have found a way to do this. Outlawing guns is like outlawing drugs, the bad people who don't obey the law's will still have them.

Leave a comment:

• HauntedPaws
    replied
    How about text messaging and facebook allowing kids to hide behind the internet as bullies? It also is making them anti-social and not teaching them social skills. When I was in school if a bully came at you and got his ass whooped he wasn't a bully any longer. My oh my was that fun to see.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Goff
    replied
    sign.jpg

Shane hit the bullseye with his last post. Our decaying culture is the single most significant factor. I have quite a bit of evidence in my research to prove this point, but I am tired. Not only has violent movies and video games stripped young people of their empathy, they have also made them more efficient killers. No I am not saying to ban video games, but I do have a solution for another time.

Leave a comment:

• HauntedPaws
    replied
    Now it's know he killed the kids & teachers 3-11 shots each with a semi/automatic rifle. The teachers motherly instincts kicked in and they stuffed kids into closets and bathrooms. Women don't need to be taught how to protect children it's engrained in them. What would have helped is if schools had panic buttons like banks do. Here banks are protecting worthless money but get instant police action while schools have a town's most precious commodity yet have to dial 911. Had the office been able to push a button and get instant police presence this thread might not even exist.

As for gun rules and ownership if someone wants to get you, you're under the assumption an a big one at that, that you can get them before they get you. Case and point the Colorado incident the attacker was in full ballistics lvl 2 body armor I believe. You probably wouldn't have stood a very good chance against someone as heavily armed and armored as that with your pistol.
    Last edited by HauntedPaws; 12-15-2012, 05:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    One more thing to ponder. Kennesaw, Ga has an ordinance that REQUIRES each household to own a gun. You never hear about crime in this town for some reason...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/...19257620070418

Leave a comment:

• Jim Warfield
    replied
    Guns Make it

Too quick and easy, but then everything in our modern society is supposed to be that way, quick and easy, no fuss, no muss, stand back far enough and no blood will splatter upon you.
    Other weapons (except poison) involves much closer ranges and more physical "work" to knife, bludgeon someone, which may then go on to warn others what you just did or want to do to them.
    "He's covered in BLOOD! RUN!!"
    I wonder if he had to find a key and unlock those guns?

Leave a comment:

• kpolley
    replied
    Just a couple things to note here...

1. The killer in CT, according to the latest news reports, only used pistols in his killing spree. He had a semi automatic rifle, but authorities say he left it in the car.

2. The guns he used were stolen from his mother, whom he killed before he went to the school.

3. There were over 32,000 deaths in the us last year as a result of motor vehicles. When are we going to pass stricter "car laws"?

If the logic behind gun control laws was sound, there wouldn't have been a killing in CT in the first place because murder is already illegal. Drugs are illegal and we have an astronomical amount of people using them every day. Alcohol was illegal during prohibition and it didn't stop people from drinking.

Stats show that stricter gun control laws don't lower crime rates at all. Illinois, the last state in the union (until recently) to refuse to allow conceal and carry had the 7th highest homicide rate of the 50 states based on population percentage. Chicago, which has an all out ban on handguns and this year the story was that more people were killed in Chicago than in Afghanistan over the same period of time. Gun control laws only work on those already concerned with following laws.

There will always be guns out on the streets. The question is, will the citizens have them or only the criminals?

Leave a comment:

• graystone
    replied
    Sad, Just Sad

I blame our society and our Goverment! We have allowed criminals every right in the world! Victims have no rights! Kids control most parents! When I was a kid the parent controlled the kid! Most teachers cant paddle now. When I was in school I have seen coaches lift football players off the ground when they were paddled! This tought respect! If we have no or can't teach respect how can it be gained? Every morning over the PA we said a prayer. God had been taken out of schools. How can he protect if he's not allowed in? People do you not see a pattern here? We have to get this country back to the basics!!!! We need to punish people by public stonings and hangings and firing squads! Right now we give them every right, 3 hot meals a day, tv's, gym, WE AMERICANS TAKE CARE OF THEM!!! I could go on all day, You know this, I know this, and our world know's this. Only thing that makes me feel good is heaven gained many new angels yesterday in heaven and oh how beautiful it must be! Shane and it's please get God back within your heart!

Leave a comment:

• Mike Goff
    replied
    Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
    I think there will be a HUGE debate on capital hill on gun control this is something Obama wants so he's got the ammo now... I'm not really for or against anything specific I don't know what to do I just know something needs to be done. Hearing about 20 young children being murdered is to much to take. I'm really sad today thinking about what has happened. If there was anything I could do I would do it!

Larry
    I fear that you might be right, Larry. I think that we will remember this day not only for being a tragedy, but also the beginning of what is to come. What's coming is going to be really bad for all of us. I suggest that everyone do some deep soul searching and figure out just how much you love your freedom. It is important to give your brain a road map to follow so that when we are faced with tough decisions, we make the decision that is consistant with our beliefs and values.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Goff
    replied
    Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
    So now we have have these teachers out at the gun range learning to shoot and kill instead if doing their jobs of teaching our children.... Lets just weaponize everyone then and see how that works... Smh

DA
    I guess that if you are a half glass empty kind of person you could say it like that. I prefer to say we train teachers how to defend themselves and how to protect the lives of their students. Keep in mind it would only be teachers that would volunteer. If they were to take lessons from me, or lessons from any Firearms instructor that I know, they would also be taught that deadly force is an absolute last resort. They would be taught other ways to handle the situation first. By the time they sat through my class, they would have more respect for how precious human life is than they had ever had before.

I can see that you are having difficulty understanding this concept. For me it is a clear choice, 27 dead is not morally superior to a teacher or a janitor puttting a bullet in some deranged lunatic in exactly 1.5 seconds after the first shot was fired.

Leave a comment:

• drfrightner
    replied
    I think there will be a HUGE debate on capital hill on gun control this is something Obama wants so he's got the ammo now... I'm not really for or against anything specific I don't know what to do I just know something needs to be done. Hearing about 20 young children being murdered is to much to take. I'm really sad today thinking about what has happened. If there was anything I could do I would do it!

Larry

Leave a comment:

• Jim Warfield
    replied
    Gun Crimes Go Up

When there are large differences within a society as far as income level, success. It is a trust issue. (These are statements I heard on the radio today, kind of seems to make sense?)
    Japan usually sees about 2 deaths a year from guns. They allow no guns, I guess?
    Could Tasers ever replace guns in many instances? I'm asking, because I don't know?
    Self defence, home or business defence. Not wanting to ever be a dead or a crippled victim is , I believe, what the majority of what most people are worried about.
    Granted a true enemy of possibly a personal nature with hate in their heart and murder on thier mind will get the drop on the innocent and the unsuspecting .In such a scenario getting the second shot would usually never be good enough.
    There are a myriad of problems with this whole discussion and few viable , real answers short of extreme solutions that a large number of our citizens would not be pleased with.
    What was the number once written about as far as how many murders the average 12 yr. old kid has seen on TV and in the movies?
    How many movie/TV murderers and woundings have any of us ever seen realistically shown with the aftermath of screams of pain, terror and the trigger-puller finding remorse and guilt? Almost never is what I remember. It's just pouint, squeeze, a recoil happens and those bad guys would often just lie down and then be forever quiet. So clean, quiet and quick.....but it's fiction.
    The photo of the trigger-puller today looks like a very average young man, that nobody would even look twice at if they were trying to forecast what a serial-killer might look like.

Leave a comment:

• tonguesandwich
    replied
    Weaponizing everyone has worked very well in other countries dropping gun violence to almost zero (Switzerland).

Leave a comment:

• Darkangel
    replied
    So now we have have these teachers out at the gun range learning to shoot and kill instead if doing their jobs of teaching our children.... Lets just weaponize everyone then and see how that works... Smh

DA

Leave a comment:

Working...
X