No announcement yet.

SquareUP for iPad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need either cellular or internet access of some sort. If you have an existing phone depending on your provider, you can turn it into a cellular modem and run wifi off it. You can not do cellular service for only the months you are open either.

Comment

One other alternative to square up would be event Brite, which offers a pos interface for your iPad, much like square up but a bit cleaner IMO. We will be using this for our haunt. [url]Www.eventbrite.com

Kale

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure if that building has it, but for 3 to 6 miles either direction on the hwy, there's maybe 3 homes and that's it. No towers that I can see. I use to sell Sprint and can probably get an Ipad w/ my service but I'd have to check. The main thing is, SERVICE in that area! I doubt the have cable or dsl internet BUT, that's another question to ask when we have our last meeting in 2 days.

This looks great though! With today's day and age of technology, we'll all HAVE to have something like this, at some point, and probably very soon.

BTW: When I was on AT&T's website, it talked about a non contractual agreement with set amount of data usage per month! ... with the purchase of a new Ipad. So if this is rolling, that'd be nice for this very application.

Dewayne

Comment

I love this thing!

I too was looking at this thing for use at my haunt, but was a little skeptical. Then I went to TW, and dealt with numerous vendors who were using it on various devices. I never once had an issue with any vendor using Square. I had plenty of issues with other vendors using other apps (card would not read, transaction would not go through, etc etc). I'm sold, IF they can run this on WiFi. I don't have cellular service at the haunt, so I will be installing a commercial HotSpot there so I have Internet access.

Has anyone tried it with WiFi?
          Travis "Big T" Russell
          President
          Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

As long as you have an internet connection you'll be find. Apps can't tell the difference between wifi and cabled. However it is possible to hack a wifi so be sure you use encryption on your connection/wifi which will thwart less skillful hackers.

Comment

I used mine on my ipod, we have wifi hot spot in the ticket booth
              At the time I didn't want to go out and spend the big bucks on a iphone
              or a new ipad when I already a ipod touch. The ipod touch worked just
              fine for us
              Gary
              Midnight Evil Productions
              www.MidnightEvil.com
              Owner/Operator of www.CoffinCreek.com/
              www.Twitter.com/CoffinCreek

Comment

Its here Its here!

Thanks guys, I ordered mine and set it up, and the reader came today! YEA! Another logistics problem solved.
                Travis "Big T" Russell
                President
                Big T Productions Inc

Comment

The reader is so flashy lol, it makes me happy, and the sticker things for like "American Express, Visa, Mastercard, Discover" patches make me feel professional haha. First hint of "it's real!" before build starts.

That and the 60+ wall panels, $$$$$ in props, costuming, lighting, a couple animatronic armatures, etc in my basement are helping haha, not to mention the giant tractor trailer on it's way here from Colorado.

CAN I JUST GRAB THE KEYS AND START BUILDING ALREADY OR WHAT??

Comment

"CAN I JUST GRAB THE KEYS AND START BUILDING ALREADY OR WHAT??"

I hear ya! We lost our prime spot due to the owner being stupid and greedy. But now we're looking at our #1 backup spot. 6,000+ sq ft ex church, now ex daycare. This thing is so cool, I bet we only have to build about 35 wall panels! if that! Rest will just be carved foam and w/e we need to build the caves.

I can't WAIT to get the keys and start building!! My budget for props and emergency just increased significantly!

This new building is under contract with a realtor. We've already got an agreement to rent to own, but we can't move until the contract is up, otherwise she'll have to pay the realtor. Shady I know, but it's not me doing it lol.

Anywho, we're IN TOWN! So we'll have great internet options so getting the Square should be ez pz. Ok, well easily obtained. The learning curve of me and my help is another story. Hopefully it's easy to setup. I don't know about Horror in the Hollow, but I know that there's not a SINGLE HAUNT in this area able to take CC's! Maybe different this year but hey, if so or not, doesn't matter imo. The mere fact of having the capability means MO MONEY SPENT!

Anyone know if you can have 2 of these things on the same account? I'm sure it's possible but just asking.
                    PS* How "easy" is it to use on an Ipod Touch? Or would a Pad be better?? Are there any droid tablets out there that'll do the thing cheaper?

Dewayne
                    Last edited by Frightener; 04-13-2012, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Use mine on both iPad and iPhone

Just got mine about two weeks ago and have it set up on both my iPad and my iPhone. I was having some problems reading cards through the iPad for some reason, but no problems when I switched to the iPhone. Either way I was able to quickly complete a transaction and watch the money get deposited. I like it on the iPad because of the size of the screen and the ease of using the application on the iPad. The iphone is easy but a little harder to see because of the screen size.
                      Travis "Big T" Russell
                      President
                      Big T Productions Inc

Comment

I tried to "rent" my sister in law's android samsung. Looks like I'm buying myself an Ipad lol. She doesn't go a day without using that thing apparantly haha. She's truely a mini-game lover! Which is cool though, she don't ever want '/ need much, so I'm glad she's having so much fun with that thing.

Comment

Some valuable information for all of us that use Square

I am in the telecommunications business as well as this crazy industry so I am always getting articles and such about the industry and about new trends. I ran across this information this afternoon and think this is extremely important for this eof us new to charge card stuff in our haunts. Great rules to live by! The article deals with 4 rules that every business needs to follow to keep from getting in trouble, and given the extreme portability and user friendliness of the Square device, this certainly applies to to us! Check out the article, but in case you have trouble getting to the article

http://www.businessinsider.com/use-c...ng-sued-2012-4

1) Don’t let anyone else touch your dongle. Yes, those cool gadgets that Square and PayPal Here use to read credit cards are cool, but that doesn’t mean you should be passing your phone around for everyone to play with.
                          The only people who should ever handle your dongle – the little thing you plug into your phone – are you and perhaps one of your trusted employees. That way you can make sure that every transaction processed is legitimate and accurate. The damage someone can cause with just one misplaced reader can be devastating, so keep a careful watch on that little bauble at all times.

2) Only make transactions on your business network. To prevent any card-processing issues from carrying over into your personal life, you should use your card reader as a dedicated business device only. The device should stay on the company network and make deposits only to the company account. Not only will you reduce the chances of downloading malware from a corrupted smart phone (it’s easier than you think), you’ll also keep your personal finances safe from investigation should you ever be audited for processing what turn out to be fraudulent credit card payments.
                          3) Review every transaction at the end of the day, every day. You’d be surprised at how many credit card payments you’ll end up processing with one of these apps. Square alone processes more than 4 million transactions per day. Since these transactions can really pile up over time, you should make it a point to review your history at the end of every business day to make sure everything checks out. If you find a breach or suspicious charge from someone’s card, then report it immediately. The sooner you can address security issues, the better off you’ll be – at least in the eyes of the courts.
                          4) Do not store any card numbers. The biggest no-no of the PCI regulations is keeping card information on a server that’s connected to the Internet, since that invites hackers to come and raid your network. Because smart phones and tablets are pretty much always connected to the Internet, you need to make sure that your processing app isn’t saving any card information from the credit card payments you run through it. Many times, the app will take care of purging this information for you, but you should always check to make sure you aren’t holding on to any data that could get you in trouble.
                          Travis "Big T" Russell
                          President
                          Big T Productions Inc

Comment

Working...
                          X