Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what did everyone who attended Transworld this year think of the show?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mindtumor
    replied
    Its not being negative or cynical. Some people did have new stuff and good booths, however, some people had the exact same things I saw TWO years ago. For as many vendors that you named that did do an outstanding job, I can name some that brought the same things as they always bring but I'm not going to. We all appreciate vendors working hard on their product and presenting it, and if you are vendor that did that then you know your stuff was new. And if you sold a ton of orders you KNOW people wanted your stuff. So then there is no reason to get upset. If someone starts a thread asking people's opinions on the show then expect to get people's opinions and impressions on the show. Not everyone agrees with my opinion, and as far as I am concerned thats fine.

As far as the children thing goes, bottom line is if Transworld doesn't change their policy I'll just have to stop attending because I can't just leave my children at home each time I come to the show. I realize there is tons of people obviously walking the show floor without kids, so I realize it doesn't matter if one person stops attending. The bottom line is I needed to run into the show for a moment to make a quick purchase but needed to bring my infant with me and was denied. Stuff like that should be considered. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't even MHC and the other smaller conventions allow children??

Leave a comment:

• drfrightner
    replied
    Let me take a stab at some of these comments...

1) Moving the Show: I'm personally not at all against that however I will only say that 'TRADESHOWS' require stability to grow. TW right now has a great deal, the city has embraced the show, attendance continues to climb, and the show floor gets bigger each year. People enjoy the convention hotel and find access to plenty of things to do and places to eat. The best is the central location. However with all of that being said I'm totally okay with it moving anywhere as long as its not on the west side of St. Louis, and not to far East. Most of the haunts are Midwest to East Coast not so much West Coast. When you are talking about vendors making it fair for all vendors to drive is the right thing to do... so cities I can think of are Indy, Memphis is a fun town, maybe a city like Dallas. Who knows... The show shouldn't step on the toes of IAAPA, MHC, and other shows like this. So picking a city is important where weather could be okay ... we have to all admit the weather is been pretty good so far. Personally for me I probably wouldn't attend anymore if it wasn't here... I only visited the show floor a total of MAYBE 6 hours and the show was here. No one should keep the show here on my account it should go where ever the industry thinks its best.

2) Tradeshow Floor: I thought TW adding that movie screen, interactive haunt, and stuff like that was well beyond what most tradeshow floors do. In fact the zip line was really wild. I loved how they added so many different types of vendors and each year they get more and more. I give Transworld an A PLUS for the 2012 tradeshow.

3) Vendors: I'll be honest here it may seem like there isn't anything new because the main things we keep seeing new is animations and in a lot of ways they are the same thing just different skin. However Dead House Design tried to introduce some new video stuff that we'd normally ONLY see at IAAPA, there was ATM machines, and tons of new costume companies. I love David at SF... and I'm not afraid to say 2011 was his worst year ever for new concepts in my opinion. I thought he hit a home run this year, he was trying to think outside the box with actor controlled puppets, giant over the top props and more. Scarefactory also brought a shooting gallery... never seen that before. I give Scarefactory a 10 for their effort.

I will have to Say companies like Gore Galore had a massive investment into their booth and it was very nice, and I like how he's trying new things outside of the oversized costumes. I think the show would look a lot different if many companies would not bring a lot of the previous shows stuff... but sometimes you bring what sells best. Dark Raven had an awesome looking booth, with some nice new props and animations. I rate this years show floor for new product an EIGHT... 2011 a SIX.

So it was an improvement. Did I buy anything... hmmmm! Not really I did buy some of those inverted busts because I'm addicted to them. LOL

So overall was the show floor better than 2011 YES WITHOUT A DOUBT!

4) Future Vendors: I think and again some vendors probably need to leave at home the same old stuff we already know they sell because most of the buyers are same year after year. That would brighten up the show floor from looking the same. Additionally I think TW simply needs to keep working hard to find new vendors to fill up more show floor so we can eliminate the interactive haunt, or dead space with people selling new products and services. The interactive haunt was cool but it takes up space you would rather SELL to new vendors. I want to see new products not the same products you can find in vendors booths. We need to make an effort to reach out to a new line of vendors: FOOD!

Go to IAAPA and you'll see 50 companies selling food products and we need that at our show. That will make it more complete. Additionally we need to find more vendors for pumpkin patches, country farm stores stuff like that. Stuff even haunts can use in their retail store.

Just my opinions.

Larry

PS: ONE LAST THING... I agree about the kids thing totally. It is bogus kids should be allowed to attend just like IAAPA. If they pay the bill let them in.

Leave a comment:

• Gore Galore
    replied
    Mark,
    I hope you are kidding.
    I wasn't bashing anyone.
    It just felt like the overall tone of the thread was negative. Sadly, it might have only been a couple posts that gave me that feeling.
    Just like it only takes one apple to spoil the bunch.

You didn't say anything negative.
    I went back through and looked at all the posts to make sure.
    So, I apologize if I did offend you somehow.

again, I will say. I was really expecting people to be like
    "WOW" the vendors really brought it this year.
    And well, that didn't happen.
    So, I guess I should not have had an expectation of what people would think.
    My bad.

And I do think you have some great ideas there too.

Leave a comment:

• Speculo
    replied
    Oh just wait till you find out what will happen to you this year...Some messed up stuff! We got some work to do.

Leave a comment:

• HauntedPaws
    replied
    Originally posted by Speculo View Post
    The Vendors I think they have been doing a great job! It has gotta be tough - they are trying to please folks who just got into the business all the way up to people with 35 year old haunts. Everyone has different needs and tastes, and if they get it wrong they take a hit. Maybe even a HARDER job than running a haunted house!
    EXACTLY!!! Except Ben is being to modest the vendors did an incredible job and he's right they really gotta go with the vanilla themes to meet the demand of most haunters. However that being said if you want something all you have to do is ask, you can see some custom ideas such as Slither are now available to everyone and well received. The show gives you an idea of what each vendor is capable of and their style too.

One thing I would mention is there's quite a few people I spoke with would love a Netherworld behind the scene tours HINT HINT nudge nudge. I'd go to Comic Con just for that. I don't care if it's running I just wanna poke around without being eaten.

Leave a comment:

• Speculo
    replied
    Re: The Vendors I think they have been doing a great job! It has gotta be tough - they are trying to please folks who just got into the business all the way up to people with 35 year old haunts. Everyone has different needs and tastes, and if they get it wrong they take a hit. Maybe even a HARDER job than running a haunted house!

Think about it... If they stick to the tried and true, they know new haunts will buy the solid basic stuff... but older haunts may not buy...they have enough of older style product. If they invest heavily in new lines they don't know if ANY one will want what they make...but if they get lucky and hit it right they reap big rewards...

Re the show itself, it is basically impossible to do everything now. There were over 50 seminars, multiple haunts, parties, events, Movie and TV show screenings... You just cannot do it all. I guess that is ok..there are SO many people now you need all the options out there.

Anyway big fun,lots of business, no sleep, and a gluttonous feast of more "HAUNT" stuff than you could ever digest...

Good times...!

Leave a comment:

• Mike Goff
    replied
    Originally posted by Speculo View Post
    I helped with the Vendor board in the opening years in St. Louis so I learned a bit about why they put shows where they do... It has to do with 1) Being close to AS many of the customers as possible 2) Getting the cheapest convention space they can for the vendors 3) Hopefully having fun stuff to do and such.

When they move a show it hurts attendance - the longer they keep in it one place folks get used to going to it and it grows... Sort of like a Haunt location.

It might move someday I guess, if say the convention center started jacking up the prices or a similar event was happening. But as long as it keeps growing and the vendors are happy odds are it will not be going anywhere.

Just my observation...
    I agree... but I can still wish

Leave a comment:

• Capt.Chaos
    replied
    What did I think?

Well I maxed out a credit card and my 11 hour drive home in the dark flew by because of all the ideas and inspiration I got. I was thrilled with all the costuming and scenic elements available this year. I need to give out a few huge Thank You's.

Jerry from Creepy Collection really has provided Amazing customer service for us. Thanks Jerry! I appreciate all you did or us.

I called Kevin from Gore Galore to make me a big snake head for our haunt about 4 months ago. Well you all saw it. I gave Him free reign to design it and guaranteed I would buy whatever he came up with. Blown away! Thank you Gore Galore. You never disappoint.

This will be a huge year for us and I think Transworld and the vendors did a amazing job. Later.

Buck

Leave a comment:

• Speculo
    replied
    I helped with the Vendor board in the opening years in St. Louis so I learned a bit about why they put shows where they do... It has to do with 1) Being close to AS many of the customers as possible 2) Getting the cheapest convention space they can for the vendors 3) Hopefully having fun stuff to do and such.

When they move a show it hurts attendance - the longer they keep in it one place folks get used to going to it and it grows... Sort of like a Haunt location.

It might move someday I guess, if say the convention center started jacking up the prices or a similar event was happening. But as long as it keeps growing and the vendors are happy odds are it will not be going anywhere.

Just my observation...

Leave a comment:

• Mike Goff
    replied
    Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
    It seems like its always those from the Midwest who say most haunts are there. That may be true but there are tons of great haunts along the east coast. Here in the south or mid Atlantic there are so many then Pennsylvania is huge and look at NY up into New England. The East coast could be ideal for Transworld just as much as the Midwest.

DA
    Indy and Cincy are closer to PA, NY, and New England than what St. Louis is. I only make the suggestion because there are a ton of Haunts in Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana. I could deal with PA. My point was that a fresh city, with fresh sights, and the chance to see some different haunts would be cool. If the convention were to be held in Cincy, there are at least a half a dozen kick ass haunts that could open up. Just thinking out loud.

Leave a comment:

• Banshee
    replied
    I had a great time & saw lots of new things. Loved having the new makeup & airbrush companies there & Rosco too! The new masks out there are great. I loved the interactive haunted house display. Great scenic work there guys!!

Leave a comment:

• Darkangel
    replied
    It seems like its always those from the Midwest who say most haunts are there. That may be true but there are tons of great haunts along the east coast. Here in the south or mid Atlantic there are so many then Pennsylvania is huge and look at NY up into New England. The East coast could be ideal for Transworld just as much as the Midwest.

DA

Leave a comment:

• Mike Goff
    replied
    The boss lady and I have skipped transworld for a couple years. Focusing our budget more on the build rather than the bling. We are now in a position to add more effects and props and I was just blown away with everything that I saw this year. It was extremely difficult to decide what to buy and what to pass on. Amazing job this year, and I mean everyone. Just when you thought that everything that could be invented had been, you guys made them better, more affordable, and more practical. I too would like to see Transworld move to another city. Indy makes alot of sense when you think about where the majority of haunters in the nation are from. Cincinnati would also be cool. Anything to keep me from driving through Illinois would be greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• wickedfarmer
    replied
    Glad I said I liked Kevins goat head before he smacked me down

Seriously Kevin is right there was a lot of new stuff there. And I feel a little cocky that I told him something else I liked there that was new...Scarefactory rig that dropped stuff down onto customers path. Exactly what I did earlier today...let Kevin know what I liked. Alright...time to step up guys and gals and let Gore Galore and a few others know what you want to see.

I want a prop that bungees or drops a actor down on a path and they snatch away another actor or at least appears to be snatching away a person. Saw something close at show.

I want it to appear that someone...a real human...is suspended in air and vanishes. Bungee...video...pulleys what ever.

I want 55 gal barrels that literally fall onto the top of a fenced enclosure above customers heads and auto reset before the next group.

I want a hallway where it appears an actor is throwing stuff at customers and they feel the air move as their mind tells them the air burst they felt was the knife going by their head.

I want blood sprays to be warm...not cold.

I love deception...

I want "startle" stuff that reacts or happens fast...10 seconds is too long for a routine to play out. Now having said that....10 seconds of a zombie shaking his head after a drop panel falls is ok.

This is a start. With everyone kicking in and getting a hundred ideas that make prop makers scratch their heads 2013 could be a sight. kevin is probably right...buyers have not communicated what we want to see.

Wicked Farmer

Leave a comment:

• HauntedPaws
    replied
    Maybe people where experiencing jet lag or hangovers?

As a 1st year I think the show was absolutely fantastic. Mr Gore was right at the entry showcasing 2 enormous setups. Then down the other aisles there was quite a lot of great stuff to take in. Some that come to mind are Ed as expected, CFX had almost to much to see and Haunted tactics was looking mighty fine showcasing their new line. Love those Dark Raven snakes too. I walked through once just to see everything and then went again later on to take it all in an see what was gonna fit my themes. The dark zone was quite impressive and those vortex tunnels were the BEST I've seen in awhile. All the vendors in the dark zone had great items to offer and Scarefactory showcased some enormous monstrosities and also some smaller items as well.

I also saw a lot of service vendors from tickets, to atms, web developers. These are equality important as you need to get the word out and have patrons able to pay for admission.

Darkness was ridiculous.

Then Shane was nice enough to put together a wonderful party with an impressive costume contest and tens of thousands of $s in props. Well played Sir.

I think the biggest surprise (for me) was the city museum. I've never fathomed something such as that existed it was literally outta this world. I was expecting some hands on run of the mill tiny kiddie play area thing.

I find it hard to come up with real any negatives. I got a taste of lot of different ideas and add-on revenue streams. If anything the negative is that I'm still not sure what time it is having crossed time zones and then having DST too.

I already am looking forward to 2013!!!

Thanks to all the vendors who had to pack up, drive, unpack, etc etc ... Without your creativity and pushing the envelope we wouldn't be able to see the productions we have today.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X