Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just so we are all on the same page its now HAA (Haunted Attraction Association). I gave them the URL thinking the new leadership direction would be to unite people, and maybe finally do something useful. That apparently did not happen. I have to agree with what someone else said just stop talking about it and let it die off... problem is new haunts think you are suppose to join and if you don't something bad might happen. Little do they know... there are just to many egos and everything else for someone to lead an association without running into someone else who starts a problem, or doesn't like this person or that person or whatever.

I agree just let them die off into the sunset... its just sad to know that someone who worked SO HARD (Amber) who tried to make it work felt she had to leave because of non-sense like this. It just never ends. I feel sorry for Amber.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Shane, check your PM.

Comment

I have been on this forum for a long time, and I had always thought the HHA was a pretty cool thing. It is sad to see something like that end up the way it is now because I think having the title of being a HHA member haunt just makes things sound better or look better as a business, say more professional with the title.

I honestly don't think is should go away, but it's hard to find those with the time to put something together. I think it's important to have these sorts of things, but like I said finding the people and the time is hard considering that it covers the entire USA or world.

Maybe break it down into smaller sections say this for an idea;

Call it "National Haunted Attraction Association" NHAA

Put everyone in divisions;

East Coast Division
        Centeral Division
        Midwest Division
        West Coast Division

You could break it up even more if you wanted to, but I know how would it be opperated because not everyone would want to get on the bandwagon.

Maybe try and not make it so complex, maybe thats what the issue is all of the haunted house websites, and everything else just makes things more then what it needs to be.

Everyone should be helping each other, not causing fights over who is better and who is not. I think it only hurts the industry and I know there are a hand full of people that work on haunt stuff 24/7 and people get to help make movies or Disney productions and other cool stuff like that is fine, but as an Industry if we are going to keep it a healthy industry we need to come together and stop competing against one another. We need to work as one team. I know that there is people out their haunting that causes issues and problems, but thats what coming together is for to build all of us up as an industry stronger....LET THEM SINK THEIR OWN SHIP!!!

No one is better then the other, we all have our own talents and our views on how things should be done, but thats another reason why we need to help each other as brothers and sisters out. We are our own family!!!

In a nut shell I think we should all consider us equil when it comes to haunting big or small, we need to all get along and work together. I think we would have more pride in our haunts if we felt more like a family of haunters then a business competing against another. Other local haunts in your area should all work together, cross promote, help eachother out.

Sorry I don't mean to ramble but help one another out even if we are new the haunting industry!!!

Brian

Comment

Racing improves the breed and in the real world not everyone gets a trophy.
          I think we do great without an association. We don't need established leaders. People follow those that they trust and admire, not someone with a title. I think that the more diversified that we are, the more talent will emerge. Let it die, and for God's sake don't start another one.
          www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

How about forming a site where haunters can share ideas through internet conversation. Like a forum. Maybe it could have a chat room as well.
            "My day is not complete unless I have terrified a complete stranger!"

Erick James Gyrion
            Owner - Oblivion Haunted House
            Menasha, Wisconsin

www.oblivionhauntedhouse.com

Comment

This industry needs an association of some kind...

Not sure what has happened in the situation with Amber and Pat. The various people that have been, and are involved, are varied in their experience and businesses. This business has become an industry and the association,s past and present, include real and media website only presence. It is and has been confusing to not only haunters but media. The problem is the conflict of interest is never divulged when all the top ten, thirteen, thirty, whatever lists come out. The many websites proclaiming these top lists have owners that have bought or control the lists without disclosing any of that.

Larry has made some points about any association should be one that has control of its own convention and media info. A person that is on staff rather than an owner may be needed. One that knows the industry and isn't an owner. The official list of best haunts put out as a result of a comprehensive review process whether that is through a submission process or polling the owners and/ or public.

Lastly a unified voice for the industry that can respond to the media questions and get good PR out there.

Maybe IAAPA is that outlet with a haunt subsection with a person on their staff that can have part or all of their time dedicated to the haunt industry. Membership needs to be a thing that the owners want to be recognized as legitimate as business owners and not an emotional or political hotstick.
              Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
              Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

I am pro association. Not for what it is, but for what it will be. Is it missing the boat right now-yes. Our industry is new 30some years for an industry is new we are just now getting past "trend" status. An association needs to be supported to work and it hasnt gotten the support from the industry- nor from its members. Many of them have worked against the association from inside it.
                Time is the big issue- If you have time to serve on the association then you are neglecting your haunt. Right now association people should be scouring the web and finding the haunt stories and sending press releases with info as to how the haunts at fault are not members and havent been trained properly. That creates public knowledge of the association and puts a positive spin on joining.
                They need one person who is paid to work on those things- and they need money to do it. So over half the haunts not joining = an association with no power.
                Right now its flawed- obviously we as an industry are flawed- we have to convince the public every day that they wont get lost- we wont shoot them with shot guns- we wont molest or fondle them. Dont you think an association could help with that message if it were done correctly?
                I am as frustrated as everyone and I dont think anybody out there loves haunted houses as more than I do, I think in the future we need an association. I dont buy every pair of pants I try on- that dosent mean I go naked from the waist down forever- that means I keep looking for the right fit.
                Allen Hopps
                469-337-4929
                www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I'll be honest with you... you can be pro this and anti that however this industry has people that just don't want other people to succeed. This will never end.

Hence no matter what you try to do there is always someone there to try and make things hard. What Ben was doing as leader of HHA was amazing, all the people behind it did amazing things. I also tried to help and did a lot to make it happen. You get about 2 feet and boom some idiot comes along makes all these threats, this guy does that, this accusation is made and next thing you know all those great people who are trying to do something good for all are run off into the woods.

Who needs this kind of non-sense? So now you have a lot of the same old people running things that help run IAHA into the ground, so as the saying 'nothing ever changes'. But no matter what...here is the reality. We do NOT need an association because all the bases are already covered and more specifically from IAAAPA and or Transworld Exhibits.

We also might have one of the best industries in the WORLD that has a great flow of communication, information, and education a role an association typically plays.

Name another industry where educations flows more from? What role does this association play in that... I can tell you ZERO!

You have TW, MHC, HC, magazines, all sorts of websites and much more... so you don't need an association for that. We have an awesome tradeshow someone who works on it 24/7 so we don't need an association for this either. So what is really left?

I can tell you... Government relations and that is covered by IAAPA.

This whole idea of fighting over nothing every year should simply be a thing of the past and just drop the concept maybe re-visit in 10 years.

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Goff View Post
                    Racing improves the breed and in the real world not everyone gets a trophy.
                    I think we do great without an association. We don't need established leaders. People follow those that they trust and admire, not someone with a title. I think that the more diversified that we are, the more talent will emerge. Let it die, and for God's sake don't start another one.
                    I don't think a national organization is needed to tell people how to scare or entertain people. I do think having things like a national set of safety standards is valuable though.
                    sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
                      You have TW, MHC, HC, magazines, all sorts of websites and much more... so you don't need an association for that. We have an awesome tradeshow someone who works on it 24/7 so we don't need an association for this either. So what is really left?

I can tell you... Government relations and that is covered by IAAPA.

This whole idea of fighting over nothing every year should simply be a thing of the past and just drop the concept maybe re-visit in 10 years.

Larry
                      I'm confused then.... What is this for and why do you present it as another professional organization for haunts to join just like the others do if you say we shouldn't have them? - http://www.hauntedhouseassociation.org/
                      News and event coverage from directly inside the Haunt Industry - http://www.hauntersdigest.com
                      Get a Website and/or Mobile App for Your Attraction - http://www.charlesterry.com

Comment

Haunted House Association . org is a website devoted to the promotion of haunted houses. There is NO WHERE TO JOIN... you can NOT join! Its NOT being promoted as an organization to join it clearly states its a FREE website devoted to the promotion of the haunt industry. All haunts are listed for free if you create an account.

There is a NEW version of this site coming next week.... its getting the overhaul that Haunted House Magazine got.

I will continue to use this site to promote all things in and about our industry.

FYI... the association website is being overhauled. Someone brought up there is a join button click on it... it states ITS A FREE SITE there is nothing to join. There never will be either, the site is meant clearly to promote the haunted house industry nothing more nothing less. The new version of the site will NOT have a join button, or anything else simply put information about the haunt industry. Someone brought up it has a vendor discount no it does not... simply put click on the link it states clear as day these are vendors who support the industry, nothing more nothing less. The new site will not have these buttons... working on the new site now and once its up and running I will post a link. The reality is this website HELPS the haunt industry by promoting haunts. If you have a haunted house LIST YOUR HAUNT TODAY...ITS FREE!

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President

Comment

Working...
                        X