Blending wall panel seams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't Bring Them in the First Place!

Leave your joints at home. Or in somebody else's car to get Them in trouble!
    I got So sick of teenagers and others saying they thought I was using some kind of dope just because they see my different and creative ideas fleshed out in my house...and... ? They feel threatened? Insecure? Inadequate?
    I fill seams with Elmer's Wood Putty. It dries quick and hard (not cheap) but it holds up well even under quite a bit of abuse.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Put the walls side ways and a chair rub molding at the seam. Top half a plaster look or wall paper, bottom half a wood look? Or some such design.

Then lighting on the walls that look the most full as a set dressing and not so much on the walls that are seamed every 4 foot.

This becomes a jedi mind trick of the customer only remembers the detail of the full lighted pretty panel and dismisses the ratty miss aligned in between segments. As long as there isn't light bleeding in from the next scene it doesn't matter. If there is it is time for black duct tape on the non show side.
      It really doesn't matter if the walls are seen on the back either on occasion where the framing lumber is visible as long as it is painted. Black or dark grey is nice.

Color where there is a detail scene, non color where there is a function like go from here to there. Even this is a brain stage of expectation/rest/anticiation/experience quicly and vividly. lather rinse repeat.

There is just a limitation to detailing and then being able to reuse things in different places later with out lots more work. The customers will enjoy anything you give them. If there is enough happening they get tunnel vision anyhow. Unless they are directly facing a wall they see they just walked into the room and behold, they don't see it or register it as something to judge. Unless it is all just a plywood collection. You can see that at Home Depot for free.
      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

The best thing we have found to use is silicone. It works great to fill screw heads and fills cracks and seams between walls. If the silicone doesnt meet your desired look when a particular seam doesnt fit quite right just add a little more detailing and distressing to the seam to make it disappear.
        Silicone is also a great way to blend the edges of plywood to 2x4 at a corner. Just run a bead down the side and the 3 ply look disappears. Add some distressing paint and it does wonders. It works for us any way and the silicone will split easily when it is time to tear down.
        Greg
        Fearfest
        Greg Allen
        scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
        www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Fantastic Idea Chris!

John

Comment

I am thrilled to hear that someone is as picky to details as I am

Hello,
            I am thrilled to hear that someone is as picky to details as I am. I have been building Theatrical props & sets, themed environments, and signage for many years. I have used the tape method, but not just any tape.
            Duct Tape is strong but too strong and has a tendency to pull apart your set when it is time to strike the set. It also leaves a glue residue on your set. The paint does not cover the duct tape well unless you paint a few extra coats over it. Masking tape is not strong enough I would never even try it myself. You can use drywall tape but that does not work unless you are using drywall mud to close the gap. That is also too much work and mess. I use gaffers tape. This is used on film and video sets by the grips and gaffers. It is strong but will come of easy. The paint covers it well also. You will need to find a store that caters to the theatrical lighting industry to buy it and it is expensive but worth it if you are picky as I am.
            I hope this is helpfull and that I am not too late responding to this. Please let me know if this works.

Happy Building,
            Robert Travis
            Scenic Art Productions
            ScenicArtProductions@Yahoo.COM

Comment

Working...
            X