Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silicone Masks coming soon from the Bone Yard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry is one of the nicest most laid back guys that i have met here in LA. I wish him the best of luck with his venture. Rusty

http://www.spfxmasks.com

Comment

Thanks Rusty! By the way, your new stuff looks Great!

Comment

if anyone should claim exclusive rights to the use of silicone it should be the adult sex toy industry they have been doing silicone body parts for yrs. LOL
        The flesh is weak wax is eternal.

Comment

I agree, I've always liked there work with silicone.

Comment

Why would you go to Monsterpaloza over Transworld that is silly... if you are trying to sell to collectors great but if you are trying to make them for haunted houses you are going to the wrong show.

Outside of that its a free country and anyone who wants to sell silicone masks can anyone who wants to sell haunted houses can or animations or whatever... but if you are going to sell silicone masks I think its important that people can touch feel and see the product to trust it.

I think people already know what CFX and or SPFX brings to the table in terms of durability and designs. There is a very limited market for these masks because of the expense so getting into field seems risky when two companies are already so well established.

It boils down to price, durability and design.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Larry,
              We're done with Transworld. period. We may try the Houston show next year. We're attending Monsterpalooza since its a local show and won't cost us an arm and leg to exhibit. We exhibited at Monsterpalooza last year and had the best sales from California to date. We also looked at "Do we want to spend our money on going to a tradeshow or invest it in a new product line?"

Yes, Spfx and CFX are established, but Both us and Spfx were doing business before CFX jumped on board and did both "Silicone masks" and "Foam latex prosthetics". There's room for us all. period.

Comment

Going to have to agree with Larry... I love that your going to introduce some new silicone pieces, there's ALWAYS room for new stuff.

However... your asking me to fly all the way to California, and all the expense that takes up, to see your new line. I think a vendor needs to go to where the buyers are. I can honestly say that no matter how cool your new stuff is... I simply could not purchase any because I MUST see it in person. It's like buying a car without test driving it, but on a smaller scale. Silicone anything is not cheap... foam prosthetics are different, I can buy them without feeling or seeing them in person, they're really not that expensive.

Just my thinking... I hope you sell a ton, actually, I hope you sell out of everything before the season gets here. But I, will not be buying unless I can see them at a haunted attraction industry show (TW, MHC, NHC). -Tyler
                Chris Riehl
                Sales@spookyfinder.com
                (586)209-6935
                www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Larry,

I think you might have attended the Vegas Transworld show and yeah that wasn't so great... but the HAUNT ONLY SHOW that is another story! Over 6,000 people walked the halls during the three day event. Attending the Houston show that would be a disaster because for one that show costs $2500 per booth, two the show is over its done, and three its a retail show no one there would want 600 masks. Don't be upset with Transworld show because you went to Vegas and it bombed that has nothing to do with the haunt industry vendors and buyers alike coming together to make our show successful!

You really really really really missed out if you didn't attend last year!

Ask around they will tell you!

Bottom line I'm not saying don't make silicone masks, like I said its America anyone can do whatever they want and I saw more power to you... but it is a very niche market with a very small and selective group of buyers. Those buyers will be at the TW show in full force! That is what I'm saying ... when you are talking about a product as expensive as silicone masks you better get in front of the buyer!

The buyer will be at the Transworld Haunt show!

Good luck with your new projects and keep me informed I'm always interested in new stuff.

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President
                  www.HalloweenProductions.com
                  www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                  www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                  www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Please dont take this the wrong way I think theses masks are awsome and true works of art. I just have a few personal concerns Im a pretty extreme actor and must have a duradle comfortable mask. Ive seen the silicone and am terrified they will rip going onto my big mellon. My next concern is having an all out heat stroke .Here in TX its still in the upper 80s or 90s for most of our season. Im afraid id keel over dead wearing a heavy floppy thing like that. My suggestion make half silicone masks similar to zagone studios latex masks. you can either have the hair exposed, a fabric hood or a wig. So you can vent the heat and not cook your brains. Where is all the water and sweat going it cant run off like a latex mask? Is it sitting beneath the mask on your skin for hours? The last thing I need is a rash on my face during operation.
                    The flesh is weak wax is eternal.

Comment

Not too bad

Pat,

We used a bunch of silicone masks in our attractions last year. I even wore one for a night. They are warm, and you do sweat, but they're really not that bad. After all, you will sweat in most all masks, even the latex half masks, the drippy moisture from your breath, mmmmm.

The only complaint I got was from our acting coordinator because he had to wear his radio ear bud under the mask, it worked, but it probably wasn't that comfortable.

I really thought our actors would wine and complain and not one complaint from the actors. Of course I was sure to tell them not to ahead of time We had one with a giant noggin that we couldn't get one to fit on. They really seemed to enjoy wearing them, and they definitely enjoy the responses they got with them. Of course Texas is probably a bit warmer than Colorado in October.

As far as silicone prosthetics, any one else want to chime in? We've heard skin tite recommended, and Telesis, anyone else use any other adhesives? Anyone used silicone prosthetics with good success with their adhesive?

Like I said, I think more and more vendors will experiment with silicone, masks and other things. I know our guys are having fun experimenting right now. Always room for more good products.

Chris
                      Last edited by stafford; 01-22-2010, 09:34 PM.
                      Chris Stafford
                      1331 Entertainment Group
                      Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
                      13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com
                      13th Floor Haunted House - Phoenix, Arizona http://www.13thflooraz.com

Comment

Larry,

Congrats on diving into the silicone market, I am a big fan of your work and would love to see what you can do with silicone. I would also LOVE to see you at the TransWorld show in St Louis.

Pat,
                        Matt from Edge Design makes a few good prosthetics made out of silicone. We've had great luck with them.

Wayne

Comment

Larry, It's a smart move going into Silicone, the realism and durability over Foam is a key factor. Some day you will see versions of these in the retail market, mark my words! The Chinese will be selling these babies for something like $ 69.99!!

But seriously, Monster Palooza is a rising show in the west, we will at least attend this year so we can catch up on old friends from the film industry.

If you enter the market, a fews things I've noted. SPFX does amazing lifelike characters, CFX does amazing creatures, very original. Concetrate on gore and durability. Reinforce your masks with nylon, and think about selling a small one time repair kit. (one time because of the shelf life of Platinum Silicone. ) Include some nylon or spandex mess to repair corners with a batch of silicone. If you plan on putting hair on the masks, consider using it to conceal smal open "vents" to allow air into the mask. Some areas of the country , like us, experience high temps even in October.

Thanks Wayne for the kudos on our Freekin Faces Silicone appliances. Our goal was to feature a nitch between Foam Appliances, and Silicone Masks. Durability, the ability to re-use them for one or two seasons, pre-painted so they can be applied quickly, and the choice to use them as masks or appliances were key factors.

Matt
                          Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

And Larry,
                            It is a critical factor to make sure your castings are thick enough. I have seen some foam latex prosthetics were too thin. That is almost no big deal if you are building them into a build up mask, but if you do that with silicone you will have lots of unhappy customers.

Matt,
                            great recommendations.
                            The reinforcement around the mouth, eyes, and nose holes are critical. It is not that they might tear, it is that they will tear without reinforcement atleast around the mouth.
                            Kevin R. Alvey
                            info at gore-galore.com
                            www.gore-galore.com
                            www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                            www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                            www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Funny you should mention silicone half masks. Hauntatorium Studios is working on Full silicone masks as well as silicone half masks. Photos will be available soon.

Comment

Hauntatorium,

Any hints as to what types of characters are planned?

Also, I sent you a pm.

Thanks,
                                Allan

Comment

Working...
                                X