The Witch's Grave Yard in the Back Waters Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Witch's Grave Yard in the Back Waters Alabama

Every year a group of friends of mine and I gear up for a night that takes weeks of planning. We pack our bags full of flash lights, candles, lighters, note books, pens and pencils, salt, chalk, flares, whistles, fire arms, ect. This trip is no children's trip and is 100% real and what i'm going to speak of is ALL true experiences that I (we) experienced out there and continue to do so every other year or so.

to those of us who know of it, its called the Witches Grave Yard. During the civil war, Generaly Tyler, a General of the confederacy, came into present day Valley/ West Point and violenty took control of this area and the water ways (the chattahoochi river) This land was still highly in habbited by native americans who were extremely supersticious. But seeing the force of the soldiers, the natives moved back deep into the woods near the swampy part of the river which to Tyler wasn't 'worth' anything anyway bc no one could farm or do anything for that matter with the land. But it wasn't the natives he had a problem with.

His soldiers started complaining of serious random aches and pains and extremely detailed nightmares. As time went by the aches and pains become worse and the troops began to become ill with each other. Turning against each other in un explainable anger, 12 soldiers were shot and killed by their fellow brothers in arms for reasons un known. General Tyler, in having spoken with some of the locals and natives thought of only one reason, the witches.

General Tyler was supersticious and easily aggrivated. to make the story short he huted the witches down along with any native americans who opposed them.. burying the natives in an un orthadox fashion (just throwing them in a shallow hole and covering them) they also burried the witches they murdered.

Decades later, a family that had built the first few churches in this area built a great grave yard nearly 100 yards off from the old forgotten graveyard..

Now, 2009, the families grave yard and the witches grave yard have been long forgotten about..

To get there we take an old county road for about 30 minutes off the highway until we take a direct left onto an un paved road.. we'll go down about 2 miles before we get to a bride which had been torn down years ago. from there we'll unload our bags and gear up our four wheelers and take about an hour drive down this grown up dirt road.. if we didn't just KNOW what bank to go up we'd never find it.

but theres a grassy en bankment that you randomly turn up (you have to haul a** bc you will slide back down) and when you reach the top you're looking over a large, un kept grave yard that's been forgotten about for many years.. all the families that had any family here has died off and the churches had moved on decades ago..

here we'll unload off the four wheelers and proceed to hike through this grave yard to the woods down below.. there is a deer trail (this is how we found the witches graveyard the first time we came here) we follow it for a minute and it will eventually dump us off into a clearing which is where we now start thinking 'this night is going to get crazy'

the clearing isn't cut into any specific pattern.. there are weeds growing up every where and random stones that could've meant something back then.. but protruding from the ground are random head stones (not like the ones you see in our modern day graveyard) these are no head stones for pleasant memories.. most are shaped like triangles with the point up and there are HUGE stones laid out in front of them (some one didn't want these woment getting out) and some stones even hint to have been burned.. but what was so cool about one is the one we always take paper and chalk for (to make a copy of it) all it reads is 'that old witch, that old toad' in plain letters..

its really a crazy place.. i'm writing a book based on the west point witches and general tyler called 'Witches in the Attic'

if you're interested in some of my stories about our experiences here just tell me and i'll post some this year i'll have a camera and we'll see what we can catch! its been 4 years since we've been out there so we're due for a visit
    Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
    Dearest; an apple russet- brown
    I pared, and thrice above my crown
    Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
    I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
    Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

That sounds like a fun trip. I would love to visit that grave yard some day. Perhaps when I'm crusing that way on my bike.

Mike

Comment

you really should.. i have a good couple of stories that really send chills up my spine about this place.. and i have a friend whose saved the doctor's notes to prove a couple of the events that have happened there!

Comment

Before I can make any long hauls, there are several considerations I have to think about. 1st and foremost is money. I am trying to save my money like an old meiser these days, so I can't really afford to take a long roas trip. 2nd, my health. It appears that I may have my gout under control, but I'm not sure about it yet, and I don't want to be hundreds of miles away from home and be hit by it suddenly. 3rd, my old Valkyrie has almost 80 thousand miles on it and needs a lot of work. I need to do a complete tune-up, replace the exhaust system and rear breaks before I can even consider a long road trip. I did go to Indiana with no problems, but I really do have to be careful. And then the only time available to me for lengthy vacations is Summer, because I work at a local Community College. Long vacations during the school year are out of the question.

So I am hoping by next Summer I can take a trip some place, but it will most likely be Michigan, because a cousen of mine is planning on a trip up there and I haven't seen hom in over 15 years. But I will definately keep you and that grave yard in mind.

Mike

Comment

do that, man, its a really great place and not for the kind of hearted.. its real fear and has been dangerous QUITE few times... but all the while i've had some of the greatest (and worst) times of my life out there haha

Comment

I am not highly prone to paranormal experiences or to seeing ghosts and the like. I have fealt evil presences from time to time, but I've been to Bachelors Grove quite a few times and nothing happened. I visited that old cemetery and there were no orbs or anything out of the ordinary. My own house is supposedly haunted. I lived there for 12 years and I've not seen any evidence of that, except for a few wierd bumps and a few wierd thoughts that popped into my head when I first moved in. I was in Salem Mass when I was 14. I visited the Witches Museum, and to a few other places where horible attrocities were carried out against those who were accused of witchcraft, and experienced nothing out of the ordinary. I LOVE to visit places like these, but I never see anything. I never experience any of the sensations that others experience. So I don't think anything really bad will happen to me at the Witches Grave Yard if I do get a chance to go there.

Mike

Comment

Well maybe one day i'll get a chance to change all that hahaha this place is a ton of fun!!

Comment

Unfortunhately it's going to be quite a while before I can afford to make a real road trip, but when I can afford it, I'll definately take the Witches Graveyard under advisement. Rignt now I have very tentatie plans for a trip to Michigan for next Summer, but that's only if my cousen can also make it, and that's also dependent on my pocket book.

Mike

Comment

i know what ya mean.. it seems everyone else owns whats in my wallet more than i do

Comment

So far, I've done a pretty good job of saving money (knock-wood) But I still have to be a bit careful. The next 4 months are go ing to be the proverbial 'acid test' for my ability to be frugal, but I think I have a handle on it. I am trying to save up for a new Triuimph Rocket III rather then try to finance it.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin_Man
                      So far, I've done a pretty good job of saving money (knock-wood) But I still have to be a bit careful. The next 4 months are go ing to be the proverbial 'acid test' for my ability to be frugal, but I think I have a handle on it. I am trying to save up for a new Triuimph Rocket III rather then try to finance it.

Mike

good idea.. i'm 22 and have def. learned if i can't afford it in cash then odds are i probably don't need it lol

Comment

According to the latest statistics, somethinglike 6 our of every 10 Americans are so deep in debt they just can't pay it, and have to file for bankruptcy or go with some kind of credit counseling. No wonder's there's a credit crisis.

Mike

Comment

no kidding.. and the percentage ammount of taxes taken out for well fare (which is being extremely abused by incompetent, lazy, people) isn't helping.. i lose over 30% of my check to taxes for this.. its crazy.. i wouldn't be so far in debt if my money wasn't so divided..
                          someone once said that the fall of a nation will come when one's money becomes so divided that the poor is content with scraping by with the worker's money and the workers stop working simply to take back from the poor.... not to offend any one bc i'm not against well fare just the majority who is on it and shouldn't be

Comment

I pay a lot in both Federal and State income taxes. Add to that the 1900 or so a year I have to pay in property tax for my house.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin_Man
                              I pay a lot in both Federal and State income taxes. Add to that the 1900 or so a year I have to pay in property tax for my house.

Mike

yuck! i'm not a home owner yet so i don't have those type bills. taxes for land that's already paid for or nearly paid for....... discusting..

Comment

Working...
                              X