The illusion of water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The illusion of water

I have a pirate ship 7' wide by 21' long that sits in the sand. On one side it is "beached" and we have large and small rocks down the one side. On the other side we would like to give it the illusion that it still sits partly in the water. We would like the "water" area to be approximately 18' wide running down the side of the ship and 8-10' out from the side of the ship. Any ideas on how to make it look like its sitting in water without actually digging a shallow pond, lining it and filling it with water?

I do remember a vendor at TW several years back that sold lighting equipment for dj's and concert shows.
    The company is Visual Effects, Inc.
    They sell a lightning device called the Aquaslash, and the Aquasplash Deluxe.

The Aquasplash has several color options, and it gives the moving water effect.
    The Aquasplash Deluxe gives you the ability to freeze the color of your choice.

It doesn't say in their catalog how big of an area it will project.

I do not have their price list for this, and it was back in '04 or '05 when I saw this.

Their website is:

www.visualeffectsinc.com

Hope this helps.
    Brad Bowen
    Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
    www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

It looks like they only have the Aquasplash Deluxe on their site. It's product # is: V-9970DLX
      Brad Bowen
      Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
      www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

How did you build your boat? Do you have any pictures? We are thinking of adding a pirate ship to our haunt this year.

Comment

There is no "one effect fits all" answer to this problem. The first question is, how well is the water section lighted? Is it close to the patrons or beyond ten feet away? Does the audience look down on the water or across it? The answers will determine what effects will work best. If the water is mostly hidden, lights with moving gobos shining up at the ship might work good. Translucent plastic lightly stretched across the opening being rippled by fans underneath might work. The effect used depends upon what's being seen and from where.

Comment

Infoam is right... whatever you do you CAN'T forget the light that would usually reflect BACK onto the ship. Water does that at night. Vincent This Time!
            Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

Comment

At Terror on church street we had a bridge scene over "water" the water was a clear resin in a thin layer on the floor , thats a good non moving water effect
              Low lying fog perhaps even combined with a projection could be very good
              A tight layer of clear plastic with fog trapped underneath could give a good look
              A blue oil lamp that has the bubbles moving through the light would look cool like this one
              http://www.djcraig.net/weddinglighting
              I will say cellophane but I mean the thicker plastic that is iridescent crumpled and stapled in place
              I would go with the actual water in a trench, but thats just my vote.
              Good luck with whatever you do and let us know how it turns out,
              Allen Hopps
              www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by scubadog View Post
                How did you build your boat? Do you have any pictures? We are thinking of adding a pirate ship to our haunt this year.
                Actually we didn't build the boat. It was a float built on a utility trailer for one of the local junior high schools who wanted to do the Peter Pan theme so one of the girls dad and a friend built it. I spotted it in the parade and told them I wanted to buy it and they sold it to me for $200! It was a great deal. I do have some pictures but am technologically challenged and have no clue how to get them from the camera to the computer. My son said he'd help me the next time he came into town so hopefully within the next week or so I will be able to get you a few pictures.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I particularly like the aquasplash deluxe. I let you know how it all turns out.

Comment

You could also try low lying fog...kinda hard to do outdoors though...but if you could use it, then also project the aqua light onto the fog, that would probably be convincing.
                    Nate Mitchell|creative consultant
                    [n8 creative studios]

Comment

I agree, with Ican, thats why it was my second suggestion.
                      Allen H

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                        I agree, with Ican, thats why it was my second suggestion.
                        Allen H
                        Ha man i didnt even see that...credit to you for bringing it up first!
                        Nate Mitchell|creative consultant
                        [n8 creative studios]

Comment

I do agree with ya, I think that would be the best way to go!

Comment

Working...
                          X