Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much on Average Do Your Wall Panels Cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The glue and stapling is exactly how I built mine. Ofcourse an update on that. The five panels only one of will move on to get detail work because the scarp wood I used to build these is just crap. I have no money so I use all the wood around my house. 1 out of 5! Anywho I priced it out in CA

1/2" Plywood - $23
    2x4x8 - $5 (4)
    Box of 3 inch staples - $6
    Liquid Nails Tube - $3

Total for basic assembly $52
    Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

Comment

I have people running through 1/2 PLywood with actual 2x4 walls. Depends on your show??????

Comment

First I want to say if you've seen that happen then you've seen that happen. That being said I find that hard to believe. I've seen half inch ply ran into by 250 football players, the wood stood strong. If you want to know my honest opinion if you guys are haven't problems with customers running through your panels you guys aren't spending enough on hardware, or your not doing it right. Still I want everyone to remember I'm not trying to stir the pot I'm just sayin...

Ok now I post a pic of the only, I guess you can call it, wall panel that seems good enough to go to the next stage. I built it out of scrap wood 2x6 2x4s. I cut all the boards down to 2x4x8s, then framed out a 4x8 box frame. I used 2 1/2 inch construction staples and liquid nails that I already had. Then I found all of the 1/2 inch ply scraps that I had in the yard and puzzled them into a 4x8 sheet.
        The thing infront is what I pieced together out of old electrical stuff. Found a really cool 6x6 to attach it all too then I attached that whole thing to the panel. I kinda like the leatherface feel of this panel as is BUT. I'd like to hear some suggestions of theming. I thought maybe to mudd all of the seams to make it look flat then paint with the paint I have. IDK. Vincent This Time!
        Attached Files

Comment

how much does that weigh?

looks pretty sweet.
          also id go with something cheaper than the 23 bucks a sheet.
          and also i agree with you it really hard to break through plywood, if you deseign panels right i cant break through my luan panels and im trying.
          it because our hardware is very strong, and we have a really strong frame.
          Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

I would not paint it, go with the ghetto! Since you have an electrical box on there I would mist with black spray paint around the box a bit. because the scariest thing about electricity is fire.
            Is this for a home haunt?
            If so have you considered canvas panels (the kind theaters use for scenic flats) they would be much cheaper and very easy to theme. just a consideration.
            Allen H
            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Boo Crew Production View Post
              Our wall panels are constructed out of 3/8 inch CDX plywood the framing is 2x 2's pre drilled for bolting together. The plywood is glued and stapled to the framing, the framing is screwed together. by gluing and stapling the panels together you increase the strength substatually.

2 years ago we did a outdoor event to raise funds for a cub-scout pack. while setting up a tree approx. 10 inches in diameter fall on the rooms I was set-up. only damage, a chipped peice of plywood and a hole in the tarp.

Material needed;
              1- 4x8 sheet 3/8" plywood 11.00
              2- 2x4x8' 2.00 each
              1 qt fireproofing approx 5.00
              1 qt paint 6.00
              total for basic black panels 24.00

of coarse these aren't detailed out panels,the cost of that would very widely. Yes they can get pretty expensive quickly.

You cant really price the paint and fire retardant by the quart though, unless you plan on building just one panel...when you buy the paint and FR 5 gal at a time, that price drops drastically, depending on how you apply the paint and how much you thin it. With this method, how are you arranging your ripped 2x4s? Im thinking a perimeter with one more vertical stud in the center?

11 bucks for 3/8" CDX isnt a bad price
              Nate Mitchell|creative consultant
              [n8 creative studios]

Comment

Fireproofing - what kind and where from at 5.00/qt or $20 a gal.
                Randy Russom

www.midstatescare.com
                Mid State Scare - San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria's favorite Haunted House
                2013 - Hmmm, we shall see what gets conjured up

Comment

That particular panel weighs 60-80 pounds and I'm a semi big guy(190) with no problem moving it around. Two people per panel sheesh no sweat. Its not for a home haunt its something I wanted to build to get some frame techniques refreshed for my panel business idea. So... Vincent This Time!

Speaking of which did that email work Nick and any decisions on the topic?

Comment

$100 a panel? Are you kidding me? What the hell are you making them out of, solid oak? $30-$40 per panel is what it cost me and that is fire proofing and paint. It cost $4000 to build our walls, fireproofing and everything..
                    Jared Layman

Comment

Most haunts do not operate with climate controled environments on all year round or if they are gypsy haunts the storage units are not climate controlled so, they might as well be outdoors with humidity concerns.

That in mind, we go with CDX, the X means Exterior glue in the semi finished plywood. They are about $12 a sheet. Over some time the 2x4 lumber will rot and will need to be replaced, so, the sheeting is screwed with no glue so the units can continually be maintained over many years.

We paint every piece of lumber and sheeting prior assembly so they are sealed and not wicking up moisture even if indeed used outdoors.

Way back in history, OSB was the new wood. That was 30 years ago and it still doesn not hold up to moisture or humidity and takes a cosiderable more amount of paint.

Many find Luan to be very smooth but, brittle and hard to cut and it splinters from abuse and I never heard of treated luan as some one mentioned. Some times starting out the best place to get advice is to go to the lumber store and talk to the lumber. That way it fits your budget and how long you expect it to last.

Also, not every scene or application would necessarily use only one kind of wood.

This using what ends up being a 2x2 frame is't real great. Just use full 2x4s and there is sufficient meat to keep screwing them together from year to year to year. Heavier outboard lumber means no center support needed at all. If is seems flmsey after years of use, install plywood triangles as needed to the corners on the back side.

Another way is to have the wall system be CDX (3/8inch) and if an area requires extra special detail add a skin of luan decor or detail only for that specific scene.

It is also an availability thing. You might find on a free list, people selling used plywood for $3 a sheet. Go get it. Have money set aside for when it becomes available and a place to take it to.

Screws can be installed with any drill with a bit on it, even with a power cord. Staples mean a staple gun, air lines, air compressor and hoping that you aren't spending hours unjamming staples. Glue means when the panel needs repair, you are throwing out the entire panel or chewing it up into something else. Save the cost of glue and just use screws alone.
                      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I've made alot of wall panels.... I cut the 2x4's down to 1 1/2 so with 2 8 ft studs I can get 1 and parts for another panel drywall screws are used to attach them together with 3/8 ply wood sheeting pre- drill holes in the "studs" to prevent splitting and depending on the wall decor you want is the main price, but u can find many discounted wallpapers and throw a nasty wash on them they are relativly cheap... want to invest a little more you can add foam skulls for fake foam bricks for an even creepier look its all in your imagination.

Comment

Ok I built a roof facade type deal for my single working wall panel and well lets just say don't stick frame in the dark with a 2 1/2 inch staple gun. The damn thing looked pretty creepy I'm proud to say but the vertical supports broke and then the whole thing fell ontop of me. Kinda hurt but its all good. I'm just bummed that two ours of that work went into a pile of fire wood. Well thats ok really it was fire wood to begin with so no harm no foul. Vincent This Time!

Comment

Working...
                          X