Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much on Average Do Your Wall Panels Cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much on Average Do Your Wall Panels Cost?

The reason I ask this is because I built 5 wall panels out of 2x4s and a 1/2 inch ply. All of the wood and hardware for assembly cost me about $50 a panels. But then I looked at them and realized that these are just panels of wood standing in the air. I still need to paint them, put up wallpaper, woodwork, etc. That could come out to totalling $100 a panel. How much do you guys spend on average per panel from framing to final product? Don't answer this post with "Oh thats to general of a question to answer" Just give me a ballpark. Vincent This Time!
    Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

I'm not 100% sure because my buddy bought all the panels before I stepped into the business. I believe it was $8,000-$10,000. My numbers could be slightly off but I know I'm close. That isn;t counting the fire proofing, paint, screws/nails, molding and wall paper. This year we plan on expanding the haunt larger so we'll have to start up on the walls again.
    ~Bill Mlinac
    The Deadland Haunted House
    www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
    www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Cost of wood is going to differ across the country. That being said, how much are you paying for your plywood? Are you using sanded hardwood or what? Your initial cost is very high.

We pay ~$12 for 1/2 sheathing (not OSB!), maybe $4 total in 2x4's, so we're at $28 now.

Yes, you still have to fire retard them ($$$), paint them and decorate them. I couldn't tell you what a finished panel costs, as I don't break cost of paint down to per panel, sorry. After flame retard and paint, maybe $40? It's an expensive business.
      Last edited by Brandon_K; 02-21-2009, 12:21 PM.
      -Brandon Kelm
      Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

Oak this is a good specific question.
        My panels cost me about $30-60 each depending on the dressing they receive
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

1/8 inch luan - $10
          2 by 3's total- $5.88

Then my detailing (detailing, painting, wiring, ect) expenses come out to $500 per room, so i guess you could round to about 30 bucks a panel detailing.

so total is somewhere around $45 bucks a panel
          or $16 bucks for materials.

ive learned that luan is a great choice because when you got 300 to 400 of them to haul around for 3 months, you to be able to lift them on your own easily, to become more productive.

also with luan you dont have to put like drywall of anything like than to get a nice smooth texture, you can just paint it. Check out www.rothauntedhouse.com - bruce is the one who turned me onto the stuff.

last note - 3.5 to 4 - 2 by 3 's are needed on each of the panels. perimeter and one going horizontally or vertial in the midle.

couple things you can think about, hope it helps,
          Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

Luan

I know what OSB board is but what is this Luan board you are talking about? Is it any cheaper then OSB board? I am in the process of making 216 panels and if Luan is better then OSB please let me know. Thanks
            http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

Luan is basically thin plywood, 1/8". It works well for indoors, though it can get abused very quickly. It's also highly recommended that you use a fine tooth blade to cut it as it splinters heavily. I suggest not using it outside as it doesn't hold up to weather well, IMO, even after paint.
              -Brandon Kelm
              Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

The Reign of terror haunted house is actually using 1/4" Water proof Luan not 1/8". The thicker luan holds up more. we also used 2 by 4's that have been ripped down for frame around the luan. This way the panels are Very light and very compact. (Store more in smaller area.) We have not had problems with the panels bowing, since the 2x4's were straight. Compared to using the cheap 1x.

- Frank Balzer (Scenic Designer ROT)
                Frank W. Balzer
                FrankWillisBalzer@yahoo.com
                http://frankwillisbalzer.viewbook.com/
                --------------------------------------------------
                www.RotHauntedHouse.com
                www.R-Fx.com

sigpic

Comment

1/8"?! That to me seems WAY too thin to be using on wall panels that will have guest contact, especially in a high-scare area. It would be ok in other cases where you wont have to worry about it breaking. I wouldnt use anything less than 3/8" in guest areas, but thats just my personal opinion from experience. Lauan is a type of plywood that is available very thin like Mad Hatter said, but it can also be up to say 3/4" thick...its basically a generic name for a certain type of plywood which has thin veneers on both sides giving it a very smooth finish.

Terror, OSB is very strong but has a very uneven surface so you may not like it for aesthetic reasons, and it doesnt hold up very well outdoors...but its usually relatively cheap.
                  Nate Mitchell|creative consultant
                  [n8 creative studios]

Comment

Your Walls May Depend Upon Your Customers

If your "show" inspires roudy reactions from your customers or you allow drunken idiots in, then you won't be able to use thin, flimsey construction methods or materials.
                    Sometimes showing your customers a certain modicum of basic respect can help to eliminate their destructive behavior or have video cameras watching them and let them know it.
                    I have had good luck putting solid blocking inside of thin walls in the zones of potential punches and kicks landing and by all means, as earlier stated here have thicker walls to catch those reacting to the big scares.
                    Broken, splintered walls are not fun to try to fix in the middle of an October Saturday night.
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

You know I have no idea where you guys find wood at those prices or maybe its just because I live in CA. But thanks for the input guys that actually helps my calculations. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Vincent This Time!
                      Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

Comment

North East Coast OSB is about $13 for like 3/8 sheet and 2x3x8 are $1.80's somewhere and you need 4 2x3 per panel. Luna is good for areas that aren't going to be in contact with customers, but as a panel for halls and high traffic areas I would never use it. It is great to work with, I use it a lot building floats and sets for stage shows but only set dressing in a haunt.

Comment

Holy COW!! $13 for OSB, and I thought $5.75 here in Texas was expensive.

Comment

Ya, What the he// here in Florida I can get 3/8s siding for $9.95 from Lowes.
                            Originally posted by Dr Spooktakular View Post
                            Holy COW!! $13 for OSB, and I thought $5.75 here in Texas was expensive.
                            Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Our wall panels are constructed out of 3/8 inch CDX plywood the framing is 2x 2's pre drilled for bolting together. The plywood is glued and stapled to the framing, the framing is screwed together. by gluing and stapling the panels together you increase the strength substatually.

2 years ago we did a outdoor event to raise funds for a cub-scout pack. while setting up a tree approx. 10 inches in diameter fall on the rooms I was set-up. only damage, a chipped peice of plywood and a hole in the tarp.

Material needed;
                              1- 4x8 sheet 3/8" plywood 11.00
                              2- 2x4x8' 2.00 each
                              1 qt fireproofing approx 5.00
                              1 qt paint 6.00
                              total for basic black panels 24.00

of coarse these aren't detailed out panels,the cost of that would very widely. Yes they can get pretty expensive quickly.
                              Ken
                              www.boocrewproduction.com

Comment

Working...
                              X