Quick question to all haunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question to all haunters

When you first started, whether just a year ago or thirty years ago, how did people around you treat you? I have already found about five people who are close friends who are interested in the haunt, but I also have people beating down the idea. Did you have people who were really discouraging in your life when you wanted to start a haunt?
    ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
    Campbellsville, KY

Absolutely!

The best way to deal with them is to prove them wrong

WORK HARD AND BE HAPPY, it gets them everytime
    www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

wax on wax off

Oh boy......EVERY person on this board has had someone tell them they were crazy.
      You won't be driving a lambo or anything....but there is a way to make a living
      It's tough but you can do it.

My Dad came to Dream Reapers after we had been open a few years ..... stood and looked at the line and asked me what we were giving away.....I laughed and asked him if he still thought making the crazy crap and scaring people was a waste of energy

He brags about the house to EVERYONE now
      Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

You will get all kinds of responses. Every where from people thinking you are the greatest thing in the world, to those that are convinced you are a Satanist, to other local haunt owners and their cast that will speak kindly to you out of one side of their mouth, and then stab you in the back and do everything they can to hurt your haunt. You will get former actors that you get started that you love that decide that they want to go work for the competition and bad mouth you and lie & you will get the other haunt actors that decide they hate the other haunt and think you are the greatest thing in the world. Haunting is NOT a business to get into if you have thin skin.....
        www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

I Guess I was In It When Born?

Since all my life people were already telling me how different, strange, wierd I was as I drew little pictures of ant armys attacking one another in 2nd grade (none of the other kids had enough calmness to sit and draw all those ants)
          I had to quit my Dad's business (it was just the two of us) to do my house.
          This did not set well with about half this town since this meant they would have to call the other guys to do their work and pay twice as much. I didnot have a phone here for those first couple of years for this reason.
          Some of those fifteen years I was working for my Dad the guy hired by the city to mow the grass in the park made more money a year than I did! The city provided the mower and the gas.

Success does quiet many of your critics, some of them you just have to out-live to enjoy their eternal quiet. (I have done this and enjoyed it)

Some local people were trying to be helpfull with my future by suggesting I move to California to pursue my strangeness but doing this was never my plan or dream, I wanted to do my project right here and I did!
          I got the feeling those suggestions were not really with my best intrest in mind, it was simply them flapping their gums because none of them had any California phone numbers for me of people they knew who might be looking for a guy who can draw ants like crazy!
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I figured you all had it, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't much more. I have about 50/50 on the people I tell about the haunt. About half love the idea. The other half cuss me out and say it's a stupid idea. :/ Oh well. I'll just listen to the first half for now. I guess it will make it all the more fun when the second half walks through the haunt. }
            Thanks for the replies everyone.
            And don't worry Jim, I'm about the only kid in my school who draws realistic gore and only does macabre art. I could easily be classified as a freak. I even joke about it sometimes. XD
            ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
            Campbellsville, KY

Comment

School Artwork.

I drew in every class I ever sat through. We had no art class . I also thoroughly illustrated my textbooks (we bought them every year) Recently a guy who was a few years behind me in school was bemoaning the loss of one of my old books that he bought since it was full of additions to the illustrations and photos and witty words of my own nonsense.
              While in high school on three ocassions a girl would say she liked me, wanted me to draw a picture just for her.
              I drew slow, by the time the drawing was completed she had already dumped me and was found to be pregnant..by some other guy , not me. It was sort of an artistic curse, of sorts.
              I guess other guys weren't spending their time drawing.
              No Luke, I am Not Your Father!"
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Even with art class, I have to doodle. I can't stand not drawing. Even though I'm not supposed to, I usually draw in my textbooks. Heck, my school's cheap. All of my textbooks are at least five years old. It's way past time to get new ones.

That's kind'a bad that she based her "relationship" with you on your drawings. Personally, I have only been in one relationship. The certain person started talking about kissing, and I thought, Why am I even going out with her if I don't even like her? Since then, I've decided to date only people I think I like. It just saves a bunch of crap from happening.

Could you imagine how different the entire Star Wars series would be if they changed just one word in the script?
                IMO, Darth Vader should have said "Luke, I am your mother." in the normal deep-ish (not very deep) voice of Darth. It would have made the entire series so.....different.
                ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Maybe he should have said..

"Luke, I am your Mother and I'm your worst nightmare!"
                  Back to the psychiatrist's couch!
                  "Your Mother should not have breastfed you if she had more hair on her chest than your Father!"
                  Of course it is common knowledge that most psychiatrists were breastfed by their own uncles, that's why they chose that profession! Looking for answers!
                  Explains the "Sour Milk Syndrome " though.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

What!

OK, did I "hear " you correctly? You are 13 what are you doing dating? Does your mother know what you are doing? Jim, as his father you should do something. If tchaunt is going to be the next giant in the haunt industry he can not fill up his mind with girls. He must concentrate 100% on scaring the &%^%$$#% out of people. What is this industry coming to. Stick to your drawings and stay away from the little girls for at least 3 more years.
                    http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

Wow Jim. I can now officially say my mind just had a seizure. XD That was a very....interesting.....post. I enjoyed it to a certain extent. XD But seriously, that one word could change the entire series. It could have turned into a giant documentary set in space about the corruption of society...present and very distant future. XD

Don't worry terrormause. I have never been in a serious relationship. Only been out on two dates. Nothing major. Nothing happened. Except for the fact that I got inspired by some movie we were watching for a room in my future haunt.
                      ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                      Campbellsville, KY

Comment

draw away

Draw away. Don't give anyone the chance to throw your dream in the gutter.

My artistic ability is to slaughter stick drawings. My son, however was drawing before he could walk or talk. His profolio got him a partial scholarship to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. He was known as the kid in high school that always had his drawing pad with him. He now draws for a slot machine company based in Chicago and is their only artist, with salary and benefits. A rare job. His personal website is www.molitorious.com.
                        Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                        Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

If you want to check it out, here's a website that I upload most of my art to. http://joanatha.deviantart.com
                          The first piece in my gallery may be my favorite. Please check it out.
                          ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                          Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Most Fun Ever

Don't listen to anything any one says. Making a haunt is one of the funnest things that you will ever do. And when you scare the crap out of your doubters it is a great great feeling. I started in 6th grade, but it was very lame, VERY, VERY, VERY lame. I've gotten bigger and bigger and now it is a two acre maze and people still call it "lame" but I think it is just because they don't want to admit they were scared. And this all just in 7 years. I am in high school and think I have found my career path in the haunt industry. So this has been a great thing. Don't let the doubters get to you.
                            Mr. Horror
                            The Eighth Floor of Hell

Comment

Thanks for the words of wisdom! They really helped inspire me. Joining haunt world may have actually changed my entire life.
                              ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                              Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Working...
                              X