Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a good tutorial on how to . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a good tutorial on how to . . .

Do any of y'all know of good tutorials on how a beginner can make a "how-to video"?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Sarah Meier
    Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
    "Words they remember you by"

How to make a How-To on How To's?

Comment

LOL, precisely!
      Sarah Meier

Comment

Interesting concept. I may just have to make one out of parody. Funny stuff.

I'm not sure if you're looking for info on content or a tutorial on basic editing, but I have a few decent how-to's on my youtube site if you want to look at them. I think there are a couple of good ones and a couple of bad examples as well. I like to drink a lot and sometimes the camera catches this magic.

Anyway, it's youtube.com/actiondeath and the how-to's are all labeled "ZWC 2008 Video Blog #1-4" Enjoy!
        To look meant danger, to smile meant death!

Comment

Thanks, Actiondeath! I'll check it out.

But if you're going to make a parody, please make the "real thing," too!

Here's what I need and why: In one section of my Web site, I'll be asking regular people to submit Halloween crafts and recipes, but I want them to submit them with video, following a certain format.

I need to give them a method that is easy to understand and follow.

Sarah
          Sarah Meier

Comment

Actiondeath, those were fun to watch.

Can you tell my what you used to create those?

Thanks again,
            Sarah
            Sarah Meier

Comment

Ahhhh... I use a consumer grade mini-DV camcorder to shoot and Premiere Pro to edit, but Windows Movie Maker can do just as well. It's pre-loaded on Windows.

The question I have is, after watching this video, do you want viewers to have a good idea of what to shoot (content) for their how-to, following a basic formula (intro, what you need, step 1, step 2, etc.) or do you want them to walk away with knowledge on how to digitize, edit, and compress video for youtube?

Comment

Originally posted by actiondeath View Post
                Ahhhh... I use a consumer grade mini-DV camcorder to shoot and Premiere Pro to edit, but Windows Movie Maker can do just as well. It's pre-loaded on Windows.

The question I have is, after watching this video, do you want viewers to have a good idea of what to shoot (content) for their how-to, following a basic formula (intro, what you need, step 1, step 2, etc.) or do you want them to walk away with knowledge on how to digitize, edit, and compress video for youtube?

Boy, am I glad you found this thread, LOL!

The basic formula is a must. As much as possible, I'd like to control the quality of each video's content. So intro, video shots of all supplies, ingredients, etc., and steps (with commentary for helpful tips), would all be great.

The quality of the video is going to be important in terms of which ones I select, but I'm going to leave that part up to them. I'm going to suggest that they add music and sound effects where appropriate, but I want them to make those decisions. That way, not all the videos come out exactly the same (except that they're all of quality make and content).

I would really like to host the videos on my site without the YouTube insignia on the bottom. They could submit them directly to me, couldn't they?

Ugh. Technology gives me a headache.
                Sarah Meier

Comment

Hmmm... May be more effective to just make a list of instructions and basic video 'rules of thumb' and post them on your site. I think it's safe to assume that anyone who would be likely to submit a video tutorial already knows how to capture and digitize, otherwise they wouldn't take an interest. I don't think a video on how to make a video is what you need. However, a clever promotional clip wouldn't hurt anything. Perhaps a character from your haunt producing a how-to on dismemberment, all the while highlighting the dos and don'ts of making a tutorial video. This was the parody I mentioned before.

Is there some sort of contest involved, or is this just an added feature for your website? I think it's a good idea. Very clickable!

As far as submitting the video to you... You could get into some logistics issues there. Video file sizes are typically HUGE. You could specify a certain video length or file size or format, but you might discourage a lot of lay-folk by doing so. Youtube is simple for almost anyone to figure out and the quality isn't terrible. It's really your call. I have converted a LOT of videos to flash for web use (exactly what youtube does with them) but I have the tools to do so. For many, it is much easier to create a youtube account and go from there.

Another (much more controllable) idea would be to go 'mail-bag' TV show style and have the viewers submit the idea or recipe or whatever, along with an ingredient list and step by step instructions in writing. Then, you or someone on your staff could videotape yourselves following their instructions and completing the project. There would be consistancy in the quality of the videos and you would always have a fresh flow of ideas to try out. You could also have them include a bio and a photograph so you could introduce them as the submitter of the idea.

This will obviously be more time consuming for you, but I think it would be worth it. ORRRRRR... You could pay a starving video sub-professional pennies on the hour to do it for you... (haha... hint, hint, hint). You could gain familiarity with your host and possibly even go... *gulp* VIRAL! Maybe a dual host good/bad contrast wherein one guy gets the project right every time and the other always screws something up or dies in the process or something. Endless possibilities. And awesomeness.

Comment

So you want a How To vid like this then...

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=gbfg5_rLI7g

Comment

Originally posted by actiondeath View Post
                      Hmmm... May be more effective to just make a list of instructions and basic video 'rules of thumb' and post them on your site. I think it's safe to assume that anyone who would be likely to submit a video tutorial already knows how to capture and digitize, otherwise they wouldn't take an interest. I don't think a video on how to make a video is what you need. However, a clever promotional clip wouldn't hurt anything. Perhaps a character from your haunt producing a how-to on dismemberment, all the while highlighting the dos and don'ts of making a tutorial video. This was the parody I mentioned before.

Is there some sort of contest involved, or is this just an added feature for your website? I think it's a good idea. Very clickable!

As far as submitting the video to you... You could get into some logistics issues there. Video file sizes are typically HUGE. You could specify a certain video length or file size or format, but you might discourage a lot of lay-folk by doing so. Youtube is simple for almost anyone to figure out and the quality isn't terrible. It's really your call. I have converted a LOT of videos to flash for web use (exactly what youtube does with them) but I have the tools to do so. For many, it is much easier to create a youtube account and go from there.

Another (much more controllable) idea would be to go 'mail-bag' TV show style and have the viewers submit the idea or recipe or whatever, along with an ingredient list and step by step instructions in writing. Then, you or someone on your staff could videotape yourselves following their instructions and completing the project. There would be consistancy in the quality of the videos and you would always have a fresh flow of ideas to try out. You could also have them include a bio and a photograph so you could introduce them as the submitter of the idea.

This will obviously be more time consuming for you, but I think it would be worth it. ORRRRRR... You could pay a starving video sub-professional pennies on the hour to do it for you... (haha... hint, hint, hint). You could gain familiarity with your host and possibly even go... *gulp* VIRAL! Maybe a dual host good/bad contrast wherein one guy gets the project right every time and the other always screws something up or dies in the process or something. Endless possibilities. And awesomeness.

actiondeath, I'm gonna send you a PM.

Thanks,
                      Sarah
                      Sarah Meier

Comment

Originally posted by GothycDesigns View Post
                        So you want a How To vid like this then...

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=gbfg5_rLI7g

LOL, thanks for posting this link, Gothyc. That video cracked me up!

But yeah, that's the idea. I think it would be fun to build up a "world" around my character, kind of like a mini-soap opera, that would be tangential to the how-to of the video.

Remember those coffee commercials that got popular for a while? Something like that, but campy, like the video at the link you posted.

Sound dumb or okay?

Thanks,
                        Sarah
                        Sarah Meier

Comment

Working...
                        X