• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Big Halloween Event CANCELS - List of Cancelled Events

First there was Terror Behind the Walls

Now... Disney has cancelled their Micky Not So Scary Event

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...20/3220927001/

I'm being dead serious when I say there will be more to come ... who's going to be next.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Happy Juneteenth, ( sarcasm intended ) while not a haunted event, I know that the Theater Bizarre which is billed as the world's greatest masquerade on earth, announced that it had cancelled their 2020 event over a month ago. While this cancellation isn't a blow to the haunted house industry, it is indeed a big hit to Halloween.

I believe that we will continue to see cancellations of all varieties that relate to or run in conjunction with the celebration of Halloween, in the months leading up to the season.

Furthermore, I believe that our beloved holiday is going to go through drastic changes, and experience some large losses regardless of the precautions or measures that haunters take. I do hope and pray that I'm wrong.

Comment

I’m now starting to think our chances of opening are sinking. I think we’re on the brink of the NBA saying can’t do it. Disney just cancelled their Halloween event and I’d bet most theme parks will be right behind them. This is an election year and all these people are lining up to act like they’re looking out for your safety. At this point honestly I think its 50/50 at best.

Doesn’t matter if you’re in rural area’s what matters is what the federal government says, then your state government down to your local one.

You have to worry about any one of the three doing something that impacts your season.

On top of all that you have people running around the streets of cities burning stuff down, protesting, and worse.

Something good needs to happen between now and August 1st but its looking like something bad is going to happen.

This is 110% going to be the year when you consider NOT doing much marketing, reducing staff by maybe 50%, and doing your best to fly under the media radar. Even then if no one shows up it won’t matter.

Look at Trump’s rally HALF FULL! My escape rooms are HALF of what it was before. Six Flags has less than HALF their customers.

A poll shows more than 50% of people will NOT visit a theme park this year.

Even if we do open we could be looking at 50% reduction therefore we have to consider 50% reduction in operational expenses and that won’t be easy!

We have to start considering the real possibility of NOT OPENING in 2020! Hopefully something great happens between now and August!

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President

Comment

FYI... with all that being said we're 90% positive we're NOT opening Lemp Haunted House in 2020.

We'll focus on Creepyworld and Darkness and see what happens.
        Larry Kirchner
        President

Comment

Queen Mary Dark Harbor CANCELS - California (another event where you have to set up from scratch)
          Larry Kirchner
          President

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/DarkHorizonOrlando/ In Orlando CANCELS another event where you have to set up from scratch.
            Larry Kirchner
            President

Comment

Eastern State Penn - Closed (technically another event you have to set up from scratch)

I bring this up because the events that have to spend a ton of money to set up are the ones cancelling RIGHT NOW! The haunts where you essentially turn on a switch are opening 110%
              Larry Kirchner
              President

Comment

It has come to my attention that another PA haunted house is NOT OPENING ... I won't state their name until they make it public. From what I'm hearing many haunts in PA are worried they won't be allowed to open, so they can't go thru the long and expensive process of setting up their haunts only to find out later can't open.

Heavy liberal states or states with liberal gov are in BIG TROUBLE! Illinois - Cali - New York - New Jersey are in BIG TROUBLE!

I hope you can open!

Larry Kirchner
                President

Comment

A couple haunts near us informed everyone they're not opening as either. We plan on trying to open. Going to be an interesting year without question.

Comment

If you’re in a liberal state you’re in BIG TROUBLE! California is usually the first to go then the rest fall in like lambs. At this point if you have a haunted house in California you might as well cancel the season. They’re saying states like Pennsylvania, New York, and a few others are going to do the same thing. California is like the boss of the liberals whatever they do everyone else just follows. This is NOT GOOD with only a couple months to go. I would say if you’re gov is friends with Trump like Georgia, Florida, or right here in Missouri you’re in good shape everyone else risky to spend all that money to plan on opening only to find out you can’t. This news today is devastating. If haunts don’t open this could very well be the nail in the coffin to the haunt industry as we know... vendors will be out of business, Transworld there won’t be one.

Hopefully this is a short time deal and business re-open in a couple weeks but will anyone even have a JOB or MONEY to attend a haunt? Out of fear alone will anyone attend? We have to start asking ourselves is it time to layoff everyone and just shutter the doors until 2021.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/newsom-orders-closure-of-indoor-activities-across-california-as-coronavirus-cases-increase
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

Come on. It's not going to be the "nail in the coffin" for the industry if no haunts open this year. As long as there's interest and demand for going to haunts, the industry will be fine. And I believe that demand will be back in 2021.

Comment

Kevin,

Let me explain my comments I little better.

1) If haunts don't open this season then they won't be spending much if any money with vendors in 2021. I'm sure you could agree there. So vendors would have to go thru two seasons in a row of little to no revenue? What impact do you think that will have? More or less in my opinion you could write off at least 50% of every single vendor out there and maybe more.

2) If a bunch of haunts don't open thereby not getting a dime in revenue where do they find the money to stay in business? How do they pay their rent? Some haunts own their building but pay loans, property tax, building insurance, heat, electric, and more. How do they pay for that because they'll be without revenue for 22 months. Who can do that? Maybe some giant haunt with a ton of money in the bank but what about the rest?

Here is the point the haunted house industry is an industry full of all different types of haunts not just big ones not just Universal. It goes from Charity to Universal and everyone between.

How many between will be lost?

When that happens yeah the industry is no longer the industry you know today. People will go back to the way it started, getting real jobs, doing haunting on the side, or just giving it up.

I'm not saying this is happening I'm saying if we're looking at a doomsday scenario where most haunts don't open or if they open and see 45% or something like that attendance.

Let me tell you a haunted house would be better off NOT OPENING than OPENING for less than half of their revenue because you'll lose money opening.

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President

Comment

Another haunted house cancelled

http://www.stchauntedhouse.com/
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President