Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunted House Real Estate - Do's & Don'ts

Hi All,

I am in the process of moving our attraction to a new location and I wanted to open up general conversation on haunted house real estate in higher population cities.

A few questions to kick this off:
    • On what kind of property is your attraction located?
    • Do you prefer lease or ownership? OR Do you have partnerships with event venues, malls, etc for short term pop-ups?
    • How did you determine initial financing?
    • How much square footage do you operate on?
    • Did you hit the ground running with a large site (25k sqft+) or did you scale your way up?
    • Does your space require temporary use permitting?
    • What are your property costs (lease rates, tax, etc.)?
    Please feel free to add any other pertinent information you'd like!

Looking forward to hearing your input. Thank you.
    Last edited by HalloweenHaunter; 03-28-2020, 04:51 PM.
    Brandon Treadway
    Owner & Creative Director | Treadway Events
    www.TreadwayEvents.com
    Portland, Oregon

One problem with leasing is that haunts require expensive sprinklers, and if you have to add them to an existing building, that's a ton of money. Another problem is that the landlord may decide to sell the place out from underneath you. That's what happened to us, but lucky for us, this happened AFTER the season, and after the housing crises dropped real estate prices so we could afford to buy our own building. We were also lucky that we found a place 1/2 mile from our previous place, so customers didn't have to commute farther away.

You may want to ask Ben Armstrong about the move of Netherworlds in a high traffic area next to the highway to a new place near Stone Mountain.
    Last edited by monsterwax; 08-02-2020, 06:28 PM.
    www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

• On what kind of property is your attraction located? I HAVE THREE ONE IS IN A WAREHOUSE, ONE IS IN A CREEPY CAVE AND THE OTHER IS LAND ITS A SCREAMPARK
      • Do you prefer lease or ownership? OR Do you have partnerships with event venues, malls, etc for short term pop-ups? ME I PREFER BUY IF POSSIBLE LEASE IF ITS A GREAT LOCATION
      • How did you determine initial financing? TODAY TO DO A HAUNT YOU NEED MEGA BUCKS THE PUBLIC EXPECTS GREAT THINGS IF I WAS GOING TO START A HAUNT FROM SCRATCH I WOULD EXPECT TO SPEND NO LESS THAN $500K. BTW I HAVE A USED HAUNT I CAN SELL YOU !!!! HINT HINT LOL
      • How much square footage do you operate on? CREEPYWORLD IS MASSIVE I CAN'T EVEN GET INTO THAT, DARKNESS WITH THE ESCAPE ROOMS IS 37,000, LEMP IS ABOUT 25K
      • Did you hit the ground running with a large site (25k sqft+) or did you scale your way up? YOU NEED TO BUY MY NEW HOW TO DVD BECAUSE I TALK ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU HOW I WOULD BUILD A HAUNTED HOUSE FROM SCRATCH I WOULDN'T DO IT THE WAY ITS BEEN DONE PRIOR YOU NEED A MANAGEABLE HAUNT WITH ALL KINDS OF UPCHARGED ATTRACTIONS
      • Does your space require temporary use permitting? YOU WILL WANT A PERMANENT OCCUPANCY IF YOU CAN GET IT
      • What are your property costs (lease rates, tax, etc.)? ONE I PAY 32K A YEAR, ANOTHER 75K AND THE OTHER I OWN OUT RIGHT
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

• On what kind of property is your attraction located?
        An older warehouse
        • Do you prefer lease or ownership? OR Do you have partnerships with event venues, malls, etc for short term pop-ups?
        We lease.
        • How did you determine initial financing?
        Raised money from family and friends.
        • How much square footage do you operate on?
        16,000 square feet
        • Did you hit the ground running with a large site (25k sqft+) or did you scale your way up?
        We built the attraction out the first year. Looking back wish we could have added an escape room or two.
        • Does your space require temporary use permitting?
        We get an inspection every single year
        • What are your property costs (lease rates, tax, etc.)?

$30,000 per year.

Comment

Working...
        X