Getting started...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started...

Would like to jump into the Halloween entertainment business in the near future, and see a need in my area. I have big ideas about how to generate revenue not only in the fall but in the winter months as well (I can go into that later).

At any rate, I’m looking to see how you all got started and where you got started at. Renting a place? Buying? What do I need to look for in a venue? What were somethings you under estimated when you jumped into it?

Thanks guys.

Kelly Allen's "So You Want To Be A Haunt Entrepreneur" Book is a great starting point as it helps lay out the many different aspects of opening your first attraction.

Also join groups for haunters like Haunters Hangout and Hauntworld Fright Forum on Facebook to keep up with industry trends, ask questions, and learn from others experiences. These forums also obviously host a plethora of information for getting started.

I'd also suggest Allen Hopps' Stiltbeast Studios as he has a wealth of knowledge and experience which he shares via his YouTube Channel and DVDs you can purchase on his site. (Shop seems to be under construction at the moment, however.)
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Your best bet long term is BUYING a place. If you're a start-up you're probably better off renting a place. Building a haunt from scratch takes a lot of money, commitment, and passion. Remember the focus the first year should be on getting good bones, a great base then in future years focus on animations and props.

Remember a good haunt is built over the long haul so make sure your haunt is designed so that you can expand, improve and build layers over layers.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
        Your best bet long term is BUYING a place. If you're a start-up you're probably better off renting a place. Building a haunt from scratch takes a lot of money, commitment, and passion. Remember the focus the first year should be on getting good bones, a great base then in future years focus on animations and props.

Remember a good haunt is built over the long haul so make sure your haunt is designed so that you can expand, improve and build layers over layers.

Larry
        Still giving advice I see, Larry.

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post

Larry
          Thanks Larry appreciate the wisdom...if you are starting one today how much capital are you starting with?

Comment

Depends on if I'm doing something inside or outside. If I'm doing a haunted forest you can take advantage of the natural environment more than if you have to build from complete scratch. But I think an indoor haunt you need at least 500k if not a million.
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

We owned a farm so we already had the location. Several people who worked for us kept saying we should do the haunted house so we did. Everything has been fantastic since.

Comment

Working...
              X