grounding power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grounding power

For those of you who do outdoor trails, hayrides or shows, did you guys get your power grounded? I am looking for info on the process, cost, and info on grounding power from the electri company rather than using generator power?

Thank you,
    Darkangel

Darkangel.....

We have a electrician come in each year and run the large Carnival type cords throughout our trail. They MUST be plugged into a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter). Our electrical inspector requires us to cover any cords that crosses a path where people walk with rubber mats. We scored a bunch of rubber conveyor belts from a local business so we use them.
    As far as lighting goes, we use low voltage. Works out well.

Good luck.

Wayne
    www.trailofterror.com

Comment

Thanks Wayne. I'm a bit confused, if you had the power grounded wouldn't you only have to do that once and just run cords from your powerbox? I thought grounding was a one time thing....I know for temporary events you have grounded rod, but I'm talking about having the electric company come in to permanently ground yor power....

Darkangel

Comment

Yeah, that's a good question. You have to do that every year Wayne?

Thanks,
        Allan

Comment

for a permanent power supply i think they would install a meter and your main panel would be close. At the main panel is where u would drive a ground rod. Depending on local codes thats pretty much it. If u have subpanels in outbuildings that will change things but not much. Then you could keep it there forever and not change it . cost is hard to estimate because each place is different.

Comment

Our new power company requires two ground rods pounded into the ground 5? feet apart, and of course the copper ground wires must not be in any sort of conduit because lightning likes to swirl around on it's way down and a pipe around it would maybe make it seek another path, one where you would not want it to go, like through electrical appliances and thing$.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Hey Roland, have you seen any costs to estimate even if it's your area?

Thanks,
              Allan

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, we have our outdoor panel and just below the panel we have covered GFI plugs, then we run the "carnival cords" out to each scene. So it is permanently grounded. The electrician inspects everything each year to make sure everything this is working and covered properly. And, of course, adds to whatever we need.
                Hope this clears up any confusion.

Wayne

Comment

Thanks Wayne, that makes sense...

Any idea on approx. cost of having this done?

Allan

Comment

i have no idea of cost you might have to research a little and see if its cheaper to treanch the cables to your location or if it would be cheaper to go overhead

Comment

Working...
                    X