Haunts in KC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunts in KC

I just wanted to know what everyone thinks of the four, used to be two, haunts down in the West Bottoms in KC, MO. The Beast, The Edge of Hell, The Macabre Cinema, and The Chambers of Edgar Allen Poe. In my opinion, The Beast really needed to step up its game this season. I wasn't so great and I wasn't feelin so scared in it as last year. Please tell me your thoughts on it. I want to know if its been scarier, gotten less scary, more scary, etc.

They are all owned by the same company?

Allan

Comment

yeah they're all owned by Full Moon Productions

Comment

Most haunt owners haven't been to those haunts because the owner doesn't really participate with the rest of the industry, and he has a policy of preference not to want haunt owners inside his haunted house. I don't know why he chooses this approach but he does. I personally like Monty I think he's a great guy, but he has to get over the fact that his haunted house isn't the only good one in America. I have TONS of people come to my haunted houses and say its way better than those, and I've others say they've heard this or that haunt is better than his.

Monty's main haunt The Beast is VERY GOOD, one of the best, but not THE best, but certainly one of... this industry has come a long way in 10 years, and Monty should realize no one is out to copy his attraction, they just want to meet him, and see his haunted house.

If Monty ever wants his haunt to get the kind of national attention other haunts have received he needs to stop thinking everyone is out to copy him and not freak out if he learns some haunt owner is buying a ticket.

As for his two new haunts I haven't seen them. I'm sure they're good! Monty does a good job!

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

We are fortunate enough to have our location between Monty's to our west and Larry's to our east and we are right in the middle in Columbia Missouri. My crew and I visit both haunts but we alternate years because of our operating times conflicting. Last year we went to K.C. We visited all 4 haunts and i must say the two new ones were dissapointing. From what I gathered from the advertizing and banners the new ones were charity haunts put together by Monty. They were no where near the productions of the Beast and Edge of hell. I realize this is the first year for the new ones and it takes time to get it up to the quality of his other two but it just seemed like they were after the buck and not the quality of the show. It seemed like they were riding on the coat tails of his other two haunts but the lines were not there so word of mouth might of got around . As far as the Darkness, we will see you this year Larry you have a great setup. I used to live in St. Louis and was there the first year you opened The Darkness and every year since until I opened my own. You inspired me to build FearFest in Columbia Mo. I think its a shame that Monty is not envolved with Hauntworld. You guys both have great haunts and I wish you both sucess!
          Greg Allen
          scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
          www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

wait you know Monty? Thats soo cool! Like I live in Iowa so Haunts here suck and the ones in the West Bottoms are the closet thing we can all get to good without driving too far away. So he's just paranoid that everyone's going to copy him? Thats so stupid. Everyones are similar if not a tiny bit better. At least from research I've done on the other ones. And, it kind of sucks in my opinion, because I've written and emailed the guy about like what he does, how to get to where he is, and if theres any internships offered through full moon because thats my dream when i graduate high school and college is to help design things like that and the guy won't even respond.

Comment

I agree totally with both Larry and you Greg about the haunts owned by Monty in KC. The Beast and The Edge of Hell are both excellent haunts in their own right but he has always been one to think that everyone copies his haunts. As for the two other "charity" haunts (Macabre Cinema & Chambers of Edgar Allan Poe) he opened last season, those were two former competitors haunts (The Morgue & The Catacombs). The reason I know this is that my brother-in-law Dennis Kingsolver owned and operated The Catacombs for over 20 years until in 2005 we lost him in an accident. I haven't been to either one of the "new" haunts of Monty's but I do know he had a good base to work with on.
              I can't remember Larry if you ever came to the Catacombs are not while Dennis owned it but I can recall going through The Darkness when we came down to pick up some props Dennis had purchased from you, and I know that Dennis was re-inspired after that tour of your amazing haunt.
              It's kind of a shame that there is only 4 haunts left in the West Bottoms of KC and only one person owns all of them, so I feel there's not going to be to much originality or change to them until Monty gets another real competitor in KC.
              I know that I and most of KC miss The Morgue and most of all The Catacombs.

Comment

I read about the accident at the catacombs and an very sorry for the loss of your brother-in-law. I never met Dennis but I understand he was a good family man with a love for his haunt. My condolenses to you and the entire family. Greg
                Greg Allen
                scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

HHHMM?
                  Not wanting others to copy his haunt?
                  I'd not worry very much at all about haunters copying, I would be more concerned about computer game desgners and Hollywood.
                  (And Martians and Time-Travellers)
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

yeah, I remember as a little kid, because we always go to KC like three or four times a year, passing the area called the west bottoms and being like, whats the Catacombs? I later learned that it was the haunted house area and that the Catacombs was one of them but before I was like, are those real catacombs!? I was only like 5 though. But now, all I hear are awesome things about the Catacombs and man I wish I had been able to make it through because I agree, Monty won't change anything as long as he thinks he owns the place.

Comment

Working...
                    X