Gore Galore - Halloween Retail Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gore Galore - Halloween Retail Show

Did anyone see this ridiculous press release: https://www.hauntcon.com/gore-galore...-hauntcon-2019

The retail show wanted to give haunt owners a different badge so you can't go to their parties, or pick up brochures, or at one point they wanted you to be excluded from certain parts of the show. Gore Galore is pushing his lot in with the retail show who're trying to well at least in my opinion SAVE their dying retail show at the expense of the haunted house show. WOW. Here is the reality no matter WHAT Hauntcon does, no matter how many vendors they try get to attend their show, no matter how many perks they offer, of free booths to make it appear they're gaining steam it just won't work. I heard Gore Galore is being paid to attend this show and I wonder how many other vendors might get offered the same. If this is true that is sad. If your show is successful then why the need to take this approach?

Remember it actually costs money to attend tradeshows, thousands upon thousands of dollars. You have to create a booth, ship everything, pay people to man your booth, pay for expenses, and the list goes on and on. We're going to IAAPA this year for the first time in three years, it will cost me $40k probably. Even if they're paying Gore Galore to attend or build a booth he's taking time out of his shop. To me that is a grave mistake. I can't see retailers wanting to buy the super expensive props from Gore Galore or any other company. They're selling to consumers who want cheap props and cheap prices. Gore Galore stuff is WAY OVER THE TOP expensive how is retailers going for that stuff?

So if retali isn't the play here maybe its to hurt Transworld who works their ass off for the industry. Or maybe I'm wrong maybe Gore Galore is coming out with a retail line what do I know. I don't see Haunted house owners attending this show because Gore Galore is going or just in general. I haven't heard one person tell me they can't wait to attend Hauntcon or the retail show not one. From my perspective and just my opinion this retail show wants to bring life back into their show by luring haunted house owners and vendors back to them. If that where to happen and if Transworld was seriously hurt by that when all the dust cleared it would be the haunters who suffer. We have our own show. We have an ownership group who keeps booth prices low. We have an ownership group who invests into the show and listens to what we need. Playing second fiddle to retailers not going to happen ever again. We did that already and we don't want to do it again.

I'm simply in SHOCK that Gore Galore would allow these people to use his name and what appears to be a slap in the face at Transworld. I think given the fact that TW has given Gore Galore the best booth spot in their show, put him on their board, and done many favors he should have handled this different. Some people might view my comments as a slam on Gore Galore but its not... I don't want to see our show torn apart where vendors get paid to endorse or lend their name to a competing show, promote that show and thereby spread a false narative that there is anything but ONE main haunted house show.

That is just wrong and I believe what Gore Galore did was just a complete slap in the face to Transworld. Very sad! But hey this is a free country and if the retail industry wants to create a hauntshow, if they are or want to pay vendors to attend to build up that show, and or if they're design is to get the ENTIRE haunt industry to push in with them well that is for our industry to decide.

I will say however our show can't support a show in January. We dont 'want to play second fiddle to retailers. We don't want to be used to save a retail show that from my perspective isn't going to last either way. The retail industry has been mostly taken over by a small handful of players and that isn't going to change anytime soon. So if you ask me the picture isn't bright for a halloween retail show. Throwing your logo, your name, into that ring while possibly hurting Transworld is just wrong.

Just WOW!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

I read the press release after reading it came away with he's pushing the retail show and leaving the transworld show. I'm sure Transworld is probably mad about this. If GG doesn't exhibit at Transworld this will leave a pretty big hole at the front of the show. Does anyone know if he's only exhibiting at one show or both?

Comment

Bummer...

I forgot to check Hauntcon show schedule before booking my cruise to Caribbean. Going to miss Hauntcon. Never made it yet; even when I happened to be in town during the show. See you all in St. Louis.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

I agree I don't know a person who gives two cents about Hauntcon. I heard they offered him all this for NOTHING FREE 110%. What kind of credibility does a tradeshow have when they give this kind of stuff to vendors for FREE? I'd call that desperate if this is all true. Why would other vendors want to go and pay if Gore Galore is FREE? Again if this is accurate information again that is very misleading to our industry.

What is sad is watching this media program these people launched during their last show to sell the idea they're the biggest haunted house show or whatever. I was like are you seriously saying that stuff?

This retail show from my opinion is DYING ON THE VINE... when the retail show was in Chicago thousands attended and now its only handfull. To me Gore Galore is a disgrace to the industry right now if he misleads other buyers and vendors into thinking this show is legit over the Transworld show then wow just wow.

I hope NO ONE is duped into thinking this retail show is now somehow a realistic option to replace Transworld because I don't ever see that happening.

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
          I agree I don't know a person who gives two cents about Hauntcon. I heard they offered him all this for NOTHING FREE 110%. What kind of credibility does a tradeshow have when they give this kind of stuff to vendors for FREE? I'd call that desperate if this is all true. Why would other vendors want to go and pay if Gore Galore is FREE? Again if this is accurate information again that is very misleading to our industry.

What is sad is watching this media program these people launched during their last show to sell the idea they're the biggest haunted house show or whatever. I was like are you seriously saying that stuff?

This retail show from my opinion is DYING ON THE VINE... when the retail show was in Chicago thousands attended and now its only handfull. To me Gore Galore is a disgrace to the industry right now if he misleads other buyers and vendors into thinking this show is legit over the Transworld show then wow just wow.

I hope NO ONE is duped into thinking this retail show is now somehow a realistic option to replace Transworld because I don't ever see that happening.

Larry
          PLEASE! Gore Galore is one of the top vendors in the industry. He's looking to expand his business and gain some extra cash flow. SHAME ON YOU for speaking ill of someone who has done NOTHING but help this industry. Perhaps you should consider what his thoughts or plans are before making such harsh accusations.
          Last edited by Front Yard Fright; 07-30-2018, 07:23 PM.
          Zach Wiechmann
          www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Originally posted by Front Yard Fright View Post
            PLEASE! Gore Galore is one of the top vendors in the industry. He's looking to expand his business and gain some extra cash flow. SHAME ON YOU for speaking ill of someone who has done NOTHING but help this industry. Perhaps you should consider what his thoughts or plans are before making such harsh accusations.
            Agreed 100%. Retail is a great secondary market for some haunt vendors with the potential of a more year round income stream.

I will never understand the strict binary thinking in this industry. Exhibiting at one trade show means you are a traitor and want to harm the other one.. that's simply absurd.

Kevin Alvey is a close personal friend and frankly one of the most altruistic people I know. To even imply that he would make business decisions to somehow harm another organization is ludicrous. Why do people always have to seek out the most dramatic or high conflict explanation for any situation these days. Disgusting.
            Last edited by bhays; 07-30-2018, 07:42 PM.
            Brett Hays, Director
            Fear Fair
            www.fearfair.com

Comment

This is a far more complex topic Brett.

Years ago the costume groups split the shows – one of the reasons was to get rid of us … the haunters. The stores for one didn’t want us to have access to wholesale goods since we were potential customers.
              This almost destroyed this industry, crushed Transworld and put everyone into a tailspin. But a group of haunters and vendors, Kevin being one got together with Jen and formed the show we have today.
              This was an effort of many people who knew that the greater good of the industry was served by this – I for one spent over 10 years working on the seminars, not for any fame or power (I tried to keep it quiet as best I could) but because I wanted to support the show the industry chose to be its MARKETPLACE. Vendors couldn’t afford to go to multiple venues – they needed ONE place to get in front of their customers.

After this long struggle the St. Louis show has become a thriving powerhouse. Backed by a vendors board and Buyers board Transworld has continuously re invested in the show to get new industries that we might like, find new sellers and buyers, and be the marketplace we needed.

The Costume show however has become what it has become. I haven’t been but ask anyone who has. One thing is certain they WANT back what they rejected before. The bought Hauntcon. They are reaching out to Big Buyers, Speakers, Haunt Groups and Vendors and offering FREE this and FREE that… trying to BUY back the haunters they cast away because we are vital and full of energy – and in some cases – MONEY.

So if they are trying to BUY customers and vendors do you think the market place is there? If a start up vendor is lured into showing in New Orleans RATHER than St. Louis do you think it might break them?
              I get it Kevin is your friend, but so is Jen! Both have worked tirelessly for this industry. If a vendor wants to show at New Orleans go ahead!

But The head scratcher in this is the MASSIVE PR campaign swirling around Gore Galore trying to trick you to think that New Orleans is THE SHOW. It is – if you are in retail maybe. But it is NOT the show for us.

I need to reach out to Kevin – I am totally baffled by his sudden support of that show. I can tell you that Jen and the Transworld crew is crushed. If you think Haunt politics are bad they are a joke compared to multimillion-dollar costume companies.

If we forget history we are doomed to repeat it – Ask the old guys. They remember. Look at what you have. And look at what rich companies who are not your friend will do to get it.
              Ben Armstrong
              NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
              www.Fearworld.com
              www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Brett you nailed it - http://www.pchtreatment.com/what-we-...t-personality/

Im in no way singling Larry out - I think society as a whole has been slowly programmed to jump straight into conflict mode.

I know when we think of Kevin’s stuff we automatically go to the giant costumes and huge puppets - however he has a huge line of barrel toppers, body parts, and professional level costumes that I think would do great in a retail environment.

But that’s just my opinion - it’s not my business, so it’s not my decision to make.

Comment

To the three people who said something about me, society or whatever else you want to call it let me reply back...

Your comments to me are exactly what is below the belt. If I spent 10 minutes talking with any one of you by phone you'd be like oh yeah I see your point I'm sorry. A lot of times when you're typing and reading what people write you don't exactly understand every detail of what is being said.

Let me bullet point here...

1) Transworld was the retail show. Transworld at the time was operated by a different group than Jen Thayer. But Tranworld who was at the time influenced by the retail industry was put in a tough place. They had the screws put to them by the same exact retail industry to get rid of the haunts, limit the haunts, put guards at certain sections of the show to keep haunts out. It was the retail industry who wanted the show moved out of Chicago in other words ruin a great thing... so the show was moved it was moved to Vegas. That didn't work out to well but the show never made it back to Chicago in on piece because the retail industry decided they would start their own show. The retail industry started their own show in Houston and they didn't invite the haunted houses to come along.

So basically haunters got left behind.

2) Tranworld decided they would fight this move and move the show back to Chicago to try and save it but without the support of the big guys like Rubies it was DOOMED! I myself realized this and got a bunch of haunt vendors together and said we need our own show. Transworld meanwhile said no come to our DYING retail show. I said are you crazy that is over... they said no we can save it. I was like no thanks our industry is TIRED OF being kicked around. We need our own show. Lets skip all the details of how that show eventually came about but it did...

3) The haunt industry for the most part with all their WISDOM called me every name in the book because they said we're not big enough for our own show. Well most of them to this day forgot about those comments and to this day never said sorry. But I don't really care just wanted to mention that but look how the industry has GROWN since... no one talks about the retail show anymore they only talk about the haunted house show. The first year the show started it was 50,000 square feet and now it has grown to a point where we're actually talking about the entire convention center. Amazing.

4) To Transworld credit they created a board which included Gore Galore. To Transworld credit they listend to all members on that board to help make the show better. To Transworld credit when I was putting the screws to them to start this show and yes the idea seemed somewhat CRAZY but they did RISK their MONEY on this INDUSTRY! The retail industry went off did their own thing and forgot about us and we forgot about them. Our show grew by leaps and bounds with attendance reaching close to 10,000 buyers while their show appears to have nearly collapsed. I've seen the videos and photos and it appears there is virtually no on there. Hey I don't have their books, so I could be wrong but from what I see and hear from people its not going well.

5) I few years ago this show reached out to me placed an ad in Hauntworld Magazine. Leonard was connecting Hauntcon with this retail show. Haunters where being asked to COME BACK to the retail show. ONLY TO FIND OUT Haunters where getting special wrist bands so the RETAILS would know a haunters from a retailer so they could refuse you information. This is FACT! SO I BLASTED Leonard for even moving his show there in the first place for haunters to feel like second class attendees. Leonard told me he didn't know they where going to do that... who cares then why aren't you fighting this. So I PERSONALLY heard from the retail show. They called me asked me to discuss the matter... after a long conversation they agreed they shouldn't have added that wrist band policy.

6) Hauntcon went back to doing other cities and left the retail fold but now he turns around and sells this show to the retails. WHY? Its not hard to GUESS... Hauntcon was a failed show with hardly any attendance or vendors. The retail show appeared to be running on fumes themselves so that show I believe was also sold to a new group. Not to much different than Transworld adding Escape Room industry and now Christmas or looking for food vendors or whatever this retail show I assumed looked around to see what they could add. I'm assuming they came to the conclusion we want to grow the retail show and add more buyers and energy so they thought I'm assuming .... hmmm why not add back the haunt industry so they buy Leonard's show. Now from my perspective and from what I've seen have promoted it from a very false narrative that this show is somehow a lot more important and bigger than it really is. Again just my opinion based on what I've seen. I don't know vendors numbers who attended just to be clear but I have talked to some vendors who told me yeah nothing close to Transworld.

7) Now we fast foward to present day. Transworld is doing everything for this industry. They have kept booth prices low so more vendors can get into the mix. They have opened the door to hundreds of new business's both vendor and buyer. They have listend to their board. They have listened to their buyers. They have put buyers in charge of their seminars. They have gone out and tried their best to promote the show to other industries like IAAPA... (didn't see Hauntcon or the retail show there promoting). They have done escape room shows, haunt tours, visited Christmas show, retail show, amusement expo and the list goes on finding new vendors for haunt owners. They have done everything. Tranworld gave Gore Galore one of the best booth spaces in the entire show. They invited him onto their board they have shared inside information with Kevin. And now Kevin partners up with the very group at least from my perspective wants to build their own haunt show at the expense of the Transworld show?

Tranworld has kept MHC alive for people. Transworld has brought haunters the escape room industry which for many has doubled their income from learning about a new industry. Transworld has done everything for this industry.

I say this now... our industry owes a HEAVY DEBT TO TRANSWORLD and as with every industry we have some spoiled rotten people who no matter what you do its never good enough. I will not personally EVER support another haunt show because of what these people have done for OUR INDUSTRY! We owe them a lot if not everything. Yes they make mistakes and I personally call them out constantly. But with that being said our industry can't support two shows, much less five or ten shows. Our industry has our own show and that is what I'll support.

I have NOTHING against people supporting other shows or even the retail show for that matter. But I think Kevin went out of his way to promote this show when he's been treated like a KING by TW. If its true and again this is just what I heard thru the grapevine that he's somehow a promotional vendor to help promote the show. I don't know that for fact but it sure does appear that way.

So say what you want but if people from this industry try to ruin a good thing, or give credibility by lending your name to a competing show well then I stand by what I said. And again this is just my opinion!

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President

Comment

Brett,

Let me reply back to you because I found your comments to be a joke. Retail industry is not a secondary market for haunted house goods that simply is a joke that you said that. I want to see a retail show buy a really cool mask from say Immortal Masks for what $600.00. Then I want to see them re-sell that mask which is their standard increase 50% to $1200.00 I want to see Gore Galore who makes his stuff in the USA sell some bloody body right from their website at oh I don't know $1000 and see the retail industry try and sell it for $2000. I want to see Unit 70 sell that Clown animation they sell for what $7500 and re-sell for $15000.00.

The retail industry buys stuff mostly from vendors who make their product in CHINA! CHINA!! In case you didn't catch that CHINA! Or wait maybe Mexico as well. LOL The point is retail items are mostly made overseas where labor is much much cheaper.

Big retailers like Walmart buy well north of a year in advance but the Spirits and Halloween Express of the world yeah they are now selling little haunted house animations you can buy them for about $300 bucks. Last time I looked I didn't see any animations on Gore Galores website costing about $300 dollars. SO TO BE CLEAR... if that is the play to make retail items, setting up a shop I would guess in Mexico or something then hell yah go for it. I'm sure Gore Galore will make props a lot better than some of the ones you see now in retail stores. But how is he going to do that unless he finds a massive labor force? I guess what I'm saying is making the claim about retail I don't think is accurate but maybe I'm wrong.

When I visit a Spirit store I don't see the PROFESSIONAL make up that I just bought at Tranworld or when I attended Mosterpaloza. I spent 10k at Monsterpaloza which is a PROFESSIONAL FILM INDUSTRY make up tradeshow more or less. I don't see that stuff at Spirts because that is NOT their market.

As haunters yes there are shows that are good for us and unlike your FALSE claims I've been at FRONT and CENTER promoting them. I've told haunters for years they should go to IAAPA. Now the best possible secondary market as you put for Gore Galore would be IAAPA... but I doubt they would offer anyone free sponsorship, booths, fly out the stuff, etc. You have to pay for it and its costly but if ANY vendors actually wanted to consider a SECONDARY market IAAPA it woudl be. If Gore Galore sponsored a BRAND NEW HAUNT SECTION at IAAAPA well others would jeolous because that move makes a lot of sense... this one doesn't. But I'm not his keeper and honestly I don't care what he does. I'm just not interested in seeing this industry get divided.

Lastly Brett let me explain some history and facts to you since you neglect them... IAAPA actually tried to start their own haunt show within IAAPA. They carved out a massive section for and partnered with IAHA much the same way this retail show partnered up with Leonard. They failed and even cancelled the entire thing before even having one single show. WHY?

1) Haunt vendors mostly don't have much money. They can barely afford to do Transworld where the costs are kept as low as possible. I talk to these people they live paycheck to paycheck many hoping to grow, expand but taking it step by step. The last thing these people need is to dump thousands into show that produces no results. I wanted to start Transworld show for THEM to HELP THEM and it has but still they struggle and our support we should give always. We should also always good advice and going to a retail show as s secondarly market well again that is a JOKE for MOST of our vendors. IAAPA is a show where they might find some legit new buyers but even that show is iffy.

The best scenerio for THIS INDUSTRY is to keep everyone in ONE place and NOT to divide because I believe if we do that we'll destroy our own industry. Our industry has way to many have nots or up and coming stars who need to push all their marbles into one show. Maybe you don't realize that but I do.

2) I think you're also missing the main point here... if he's advising this show, and being paid to be there, lending his name for them to promote to other haunt vendors and buyers after everything Transworld has done for him. I would call that LOW! Say what you want but that is how I feel.

3) TO BE CLEAR if Gore Galore is creating a RETAIL LINE then yeah go for it but don't treat Transworld like this. Don't you think its fair to say it appears he's promoting another show over Transworld? Look maybe I'm way off base but these are just my opinions.

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

I have NOTHING against people supporting other shows or even the retail show for that matter.
                      From my perspective Gore Galore is a traitor and clearly someone who just wants to be bought off.
                      How do you breathe with your head so far up your ass?

Have you even spoken with Kevin? You took what "you thought" and "your opinion" and tried to speak ill of one of the top producers of our industry. You're grasping at straws trying to speak negatively of someone who is just looking to expand his horizons and product line.

You're making false accusations and making an ass of yourself.
                      Last edited by Front Yard Fright; 07-31-2018, 09:33 AM.
                      Zach Wiechmann
                      www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Larry - definitely not calling you out personally, we don’t know each other. What I’m saying is society as a whole has a tendency to jump to the conflict conclusion. Just like I said in my first post I don’t mean that as a personal attack on you. But that’s another issue all together.

Comment

To be clear to those reading.

My comments above did not reflect on Kevin or Gore Galore. Who I think you will soon see is developing things for both retail and professional haunters. The professional haunters seem to be more an dmore interested on cruising Transworld to see what is new and exciting; then go home and steal concepts and ideas and make almost IDENTICAL props. Have even seen Gore Galores items where people want a tutorial on how to make them. Same for skeleton that sways side to side in crouched position with a fan blowing up from underneath. So why wouldn't a business man try to expand into another market when his overhead expenses of a shop and equipment can produce items for retail.

Larry I have to say you coming down so hard on Gore Galore was out of line. But at same time commend you for warning other struggling prop makers just what the retail show is about and if they do not have a line for it they are throwing money away.

But everyone knows I am always a level headed person who never lets passion get the best of him and step out of line. Got a bridge to sell anyone interested too.

Wicked Farmer
                          Last edited by wickedfarmer; 07-31-2018, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedfarmer View Post
                            Larry I have to say you coming down so hard on Gore Galore was out of line. But at same time commend you for warning other struggling prop makers just what the retail show is about and if they do not have a line for it they are throwing money away. Wicked Farmer
                            Amen, Mark. I truthfully have to say that I just am unable to understand the viewpoint of those who are so upset about this. Kevin is working on a retail line, it will be far less expensive and supplement his haunt products. He has zero intention of abandoning Transworld or his large customers.. far from it. There are few people in this world I have more respect for than Ben Armstrong and Jen. I would never want any adversity to come their way. Perhaps I am just being dense, but I simply cannot understand the harm this would bring to them. Transworld is and will remain THE HAUNTED ATTRACTION SHOW... I would assume everyone knows that. Gore Galore isn’t going to somehow be the pied piper who leads all the haunt vendors away from St. Louis, that’s crazy, at least in my opinion.

I think there must be a lot of history here that I am not really privy to that introduces the emotional response. I don’t know, I just wish the best to all parties involved and for their continued success, which I feel is assured because good things happen for good people.

Larry, as you should know, I have a lot of respect for your accomplishments and contributions to this industry as well. But I do think your attack on Kevin was out of line and I stand by that. You have a flair for the dramatic my friend.
                            Brett Hays, Director
                            Fear Fair
                            www.fearfair.com

Comment

Although his stuff is still cool, I don’t think anyone would say Gore Galore is exactly cutting edge at this point in time. Their booth looks and vibes about the same every year and the tall costumes always felt like a copy of Exmortis stalkarounds. Maybe for him doing a retail show mightget him a new audience?

Jake

Comment

Working...
                              X