Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunted elevator

Hey everyone,

Now that the busiest time of the year is past us, I thought I would share one of my projects from this season. I built my own haunted elevator for my Asylum themed haunt.

It has working pneumatic doors. It raises, tilts and drops on 4 air bags. Also, the whole elevator rides on a track which allows it to move from one room to another completing the illusion.

I also did an animation in the ceiling but only got it half finished. I had plans for other effects to add onto it but ran out of time.

I may add more to it during the off season. Anyway, Here are some pictures and video of the project for anyone interested. It really is something you need to ride to appreciate but you can get an idea.

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...kee1/Elevator/
    Jim H
    Dark Raven Designs
    http://www.darkravendesigns.net

That's really nice work. How did you calculate the mounting point for those cylinders on the doors to make sure they closed fully? Math or trial and error?

How much do you figure you have invested vs purchasing a hellevator prop?

I see you went with rolling on a track rather than turning..

Last edited by bhays; 11-15-2007, 10:43 AM.
    Brett Hays, Director
    Fear Fair
    www.fearfair.com

Comment

Thanks Brett!

The doors are 15 inch panels, the cylinders are 14 inch throw. I just mounted them, fully retracted, with the doors in the closed position. I probably built my elevator for 25% to 35% of the cost of a Hellevator and got a much better effect, along with all steel construction. This of coarse does not factor in my labor.

Turning would have worked but presented problems of a rectangle turning in a circle. Not that these issues couldn't have been worked out, I just decided that the track was simpler and would look better in the haunt.

Also, using a motor to move the elevator turned out to be far cheaper than pneumatics.
      Jim H
      Dark Raven Designs

Comment

Haunted elevator

WOW that elevator idea is awesome!!!! You are my new HERO for
        this month!!!!

Blessings
        Kimmy
        Come Scream with us at SCREAM FARM

Comment

Awesome work as always!
          Brian Warner
          Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
          Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
          Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

What are you using for a controller?
            Kevin
            MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Originally posted by Brckee1 View Post
              Also, using a motor to move the elevator turned out to be far cheaper than pneumatics.
              Is that chain welded to the beam and the sprocket on the motor just rolls along it, or does the chain wind up on the sprocket?
              Brett Hays, Director
              Fear Fair
              www.fearfair.com

Comment

Most impressive! I know that would scare the hell outta me! I HATE elevators! Nice work!

Comment

for spending way less on this prop, and it kicking the hellevator's ass.... i bow down to thee. i want one in my haunt....
                  -Mat

Comment

I too would be interested in what you use to control it... Gilderfluke?
                    Bill Rod.
                    Dark Tech Effects
                    Automated DMX Lighting
                    Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

The controller is a Gilderfluke Minibrick. I used the real time programming feature to program the movement to match the sound effect. It took several hours to get the program where I wanted it.

The chain is welded to the steel beam and the sprocket rolls along it pulling/pushing the elevator. It really works well. Another advantage to this method is that there are no mechanics under the elevator. The motor and drive chain are all external making it easier to work on if something goes wrong.
                      Jim H
                      Dark Raven Designs

Comment

Dude, that is SOOO frigg'in awesome!!! I am so amazed at what people come up with in their own back yard or garage! Wish I had the "know how" to build something like that. That's GREAT!
                        http://www.myspace.com/scareview

Comment

You shouldn't refer to your elevator as an elevator but rather as the next steel bucket going over the falls!
                          "Oh, sorry, you didn't realise that was what you were volunteering for, too late!
                          Squirt a little water into the chamber at the right moment, might make them add their own "water" to the fun!
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

That is great work and good craftsmanship for a scare. an elivator is one of the few things which will still make me uncomfortable in a haunt.
                            The Care Taker
                            John "DarkTombCreations.com"

Comment

Good Job

We built one similiar about 4 years ago. Yours is a lot more rugged and I love the double door operation. We used (2) boo boxes to run ours it worked great.

Comment

Working...
                              X