Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karl Fields
    replied
    We also built an elevator a few years ago, however ours rotates.
    I really like the idea of the lineal travel you've done, plus it looks like probably less maintenance issues

http://www.piratesofemerson.com/BACK...res/index.html
    Last edited by Karl Fields; 12-02-2011, 06:22 PM. Reason: fix link

Leave a comment:

• beardedbil
    replied
    Brckee1 check your PMs :-)
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• bhays
    replied
    Originally posted by Brckee1 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!

The controller is a Gilderfluke Minibrick. I used the real time programming feature to program the movement to match the sound effect. It took several hours to get the program where I wanted it.

The chain is welded to the steel beam and the sprocket rolls along it pulling/pushing the elevator. It really works well. Another advantage to this method is that there are no mechanics under the elevator. The motor and drive chain are all external making it easier to work on if something goes wrong.
    What are the specs on the gearmotor you're using to roll the elevator side to side? Is it a grainger item?

I am also curious what your soundtrack is like and lighting inside/etc. Did you have an actor work inside and hit a button to start the sequence?

Leave a comment:

• TheNightMare
    replied
    Dude that is sooo awesome. Now it makes me want to learn how to make one so I can do it myself. But I'm not educated in the pneumatics field.

Leave a comment:

• Inn Reaper
    replied
    Good Job

We built one similiar about 4 years ago. Yours is a lot more rugged and I love the double door operation. We used (2) boo boxes to run ours it worked great.

Leave a comment:

• TheCareTaker
    replied
    That is great work and good craftsmanship for a scare. an elivator is one of the few things which will still make me uncomfortable in a haunt.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Warfield
    replied
    You shouldn't refer to your elevator as an elevator but rather as the next steel bucket going over the falls!
    "Oh, sorry, you didn't realise that was what you were volunteering for, too late!
    Squirt a little water into the chamber at the right moment, might make them add their own "water" to the fun!

Leave a comment:

• Scareview
    replied
    Dude, that is SOOO frigg'in awesome!!! I am so amazed at what people come up with in their own back yard or garage! Wish I had the "know how" to build something like that. That's GREAT!

Leave a comment:

• Brckee1
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!

The controller is a Gilderfluke Minibrick. I used the real time programming feature to program the movement to match the sound effect. It took several hours to get the program where I wanted it.

The chain is welded to the steel beam and the sprocket rolls along it pulling/pushing the elevator. It really works well. Another advantage to this method is that there are no mechanics under the elevator. The motor and drive chain are all external making it easier to work on if something goes wrong.

Leave a comment:

• beardedbil
    replied
    I too would be interested in what you use to control it... Gilderfluke?

Leave a comment:

• icarian
    replied
    for spending way less on this prop, and it kicking the hellevator's ass.... i bow down to thee. i want one in my haunt....

Leave a comment:

• TheRupert
    replied
    Most impressive! I know that would scare the hell outta me! I HATE elevators! Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• bhays
    replied
    Originally posted by Brckee1 View Post
    Also, using a motor to move the elevator turned out to be far cheaper than pneumatics.
    Is that chain welded to the beam and the sprocket on the motor just rolls along it, or does the chain wind up on the sprocket?

Leave a comment:

• MindWerxKMG
    replied
    What are you using for a controller?

Leave a comment:

• gadget-evilusions
    replied
    Awesome work as always!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X