Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever done an outside scene indoors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever done an outside scene indoors?

Ever since I saw that dirt outside of the Bates Motel at TW I can't get the idea of bringing dirt inside my haunt out of my mind! I would love to do an outdoor scene inside of my haunt, but what is in my head and what it ends up looking like may be totally different. Our haunt is completely inside, and it is an old brick school. I keep thinking I would love to have a "courtyard" scene inside of my haunt. You walk out of one room and into the courtyard and then "re-enter" the school. So one whole wall would need to be brick to look like the outside of the school. The courtyard itself would consist of dirt of course!! And a small pathway to walk along, twisting and turning along through a small cemetery with some fake foliage and tombstones. Our ceilings are 12' high, and I'm thinking we could paint the walls and ceiling black and have maybe some sheer stretchy black fabric in the corners to give it more of a rounded look as opposed to the square corners of a room. Has anyone ever attempted an outdoor scene on the inside of their haunt? I really want it to look like you are outside. We also purchased Froggy's new swamp and I'm trying to figure out where to incorporate that as well. Any help is appreciated!!!
    ~nail in the coffin~

**Crawford School of Terror**
    Connellsville, PA

Yes at The Darkness we do and have done tons of outdoor scenes inside from graveyards, to barns, cornfields, to you name it. Anytime you do a facade at your haunt that technically is suppose to be outside then going inside the facade is the interior. So yeah 110%. Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Check out the Beast and Edge of Hell in Kansas City. They do it VERY well...
      http://www.bigscaryshow.com
      http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

I did a graveyard scene in my building....2 things that totally transformed the area was painting it black to take away depth and hanging camo netting off the ceiling and walls to take away the squareness....Don't skimp on the netting though or it will still look square....The more you drape and sag, the better it looks....Everything you add after that only makes it better....ZR

Comment

I managed to pull this off fairly well a few years back....it was on the cheap too (my only haunt build before joining the navy), so i'm sure you could improve on it tenfold.

We were basically in an old department store, so the floor was white tile, and talll ceilings. It was a cemetery scene.

I was partnered with a guy who owned an inflatable rental business, so he had boatloads of black vinyl, we laid it on the floor and gorilla taped it down to ensure the floor was black and not reflective.

We created the base maze (1 way), using cemetery fencing, but it was sturdy enough to not fall over if a patron ran into it.
          The most tedious part....The ENTIRE graveyard, at a height of about 8-10 feet, we created a fishing line grid as a ceiling. Which we covered entirely with cobweb. Then we ran more line from the fence maze straight up to the ceiling grid. And covered that with cobweb. So the entire maze had cemetery fence about 4-5 feet tall, then cobweb the rest of the 5 feet up.

Coupled with the cobweb ceiling, it was similar to a tunnel. We of course made gravestones, brought it some local shrubbery, a little moss...and my personal favorite, TONS of bags of dried leaves. I put an ad out on craigslist for anyone who wanted to give me their raked leaves. It gave the entire place a nice outdoor smell, and a nice crunch under the feet.

Add the right lighting, some fog, and some sounds....and you're outside.

Comment

We have an outdoor scene at the haunt I work at, it's in the same vein as yours, a courtyard. Layering is really important to give the scene more depth than it actually has, as mentioned already. Also, we have a special light with a filter that looks like the moon; it's done is such a way to look far away and give off a soft, blue light.

As you probably already know, the more stuff in a scene and the busier it is, the less likely a guest will notice that it's indoors. We also obscure the ceiling tiles by painting them black and having branches from trees and some camo netting over the top. To me, being 6'3", the things that ruin a scene are noticing the ceiling is out of place, either due to it being obvious (white office tiles, for example) or light bleeding from outside the scene, and really campy, cheap props like plastic skulls or obviously fake spiders.

Comment

Just remember if you start bringing in branches,trees, or as suggested tons of leaves...they are EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE. If you do not use a flame retardant forget what the Fire Department would even say, some idiot throws a cigarette button or drops their e-cigarette in the leaves and you have in immediate large scale unintentional BBQ scence!!

I had silk plants and had to have every one flame proofed. Same will go for all camouflage or other fabric. You can do a good job by adding some lighting, sound effects (crickets and the like), and maybe a smell generator (musty, foilage) it will definitely feel outdoors. Just keep it safe.
              R&J Productions
              Las Vegas, NV
              www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Working...
              X