Major League Announcement... The Darkness NEED FEEDBACK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major League Announcement... The Darkness NEED FEEDBACK

Okay couple things I wanted to mention. I have been super busy working on these new escape rooms for the tour plus our improvements to The Darkness. With the completion of The Darkness que line I can't see any other major improvements I will take on in 2018. The only thing I can see doing honestly is ripping out Terror Visions and starting over there. The que line was a major issue and now that has been solved. The new que line is going to be incredible... plus we're adding new scenes inside the haunt. You will start to see all the pictures of those scenes once we get past all these escape room installs we've been doing all over the country.

My entire crew will be on the haunt starting this coming Monday. But I've totally built out the entire new building and old building and without going into the downstairs what is left to do on a MAJOR LEVEL. Based on that fact and because it takes so much money and time to produce these upgrades next year we will not be doing any darkness behind the scenes tours, or escape room tours, blah, blah.

Here are a couple other reasons I don't want to do it anymore...

1) I want to start opening different times of the year like Christmas, or Valentines Day or whatever. Can't when the whole place it torn to shreds.

2) These tours cost way more than they take in and it keeps you working non-stop like a dog from Halloween to April.

3) Tired of spending more money on the darkness than warrants for my local market... only doing it because industry people touring.

4) Planning on moving the darkness 110%.

5) I'd rather invest my money into opening a haunt/escapes in another city like Indy.

6) Lastly I want to do other things like go to this show, that show, go on a trip when my kids are out of school for Christmas, or anything of the nature I can't do it when I'm so tied to this place its unreal. Also we could focus more time working for other clients.

What I'm going to do hold on let me make sure I'm getting this right... what I'm going to do is finally OPEN CREEPYWORLD. Creepyworld is BETTER THAN THE DARKNESS WAY BETTER I've said it 100 times because its true. The problem with Creepyworld is I will have to take it down after Halloween then put it back up for you guys, then take it down again then put it back up again for my season.

I was talking with Ben Armstrong last night and he's like why not leave it up... well you can't because it will get snowed on, rained on, and people could come and steal stuff.

I can't do that.

Here is why I wanted to wait to tour Creepyworld...

1) I want to build our next new haunted house and improve the hayride to a level where I"m really happy with it. That will be 2017.

2) That would only leave ONE haunt that I haven't rebuilt over the last few years and its the biggest one there... the old SiloX. I will rebuild that directly after we close for the Halloween season next year. I will make it into probably the best one we'll have... so that will be the last time I spend tons of money on these tours. It will be ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE however to make Creepyworld like it should be for the haunt season because for example I can't get corn stalks. That is one example. Another is I can't put up the tent and all the que line stuff... I can't do that either. But for the most part I can get a lot of up and running.

SO HERE IS MY QUESTIONS:

1) Would you want a behind the scenes tour of Creepyworld?

2) Would you care if it was operated with or without actors or if it was short actors. On our busiest nights it takes over 100 actors to run it... not sure if I can come up with that many in March.

3) The cost is going to be a big issue... I would probably have to charge $100.00 per person just to cover the cost to set it up, take it down, set it up and take it down again. I will have to put things away after Halloween, then right before the tour unload and install again... then after the tour put everything again yet again only to get it all back out again late summer. The cost to me is going to be astronomical.

I'll do it ONCE but would people have an issue paying $100 per person?

4) Does this sound good to you... Behind the Scenes tour just one on Thursday, Open Darkness with Actors on Friday, then finally Creepyworld on Saturday.

I won't open Creepyworld twice and go thru that nightmare so your feedback is welcome!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Stop!!!

" 6) Lastly I want to do other things like go to this show, that show, go on a trip when my kids are out of school for Christmas, or anything of the nature I can't do it when I'm so tied to this place its unreal. Also we could focus more time working for other clients. "

Snap out of it Larry. Don't make Wicked Farmer come down there and drag your butt to Disney World with your kids! BUT DON"T DO IT DURING CHRISTMAS BREAK! Go early Dec. or mid Jan. Both times that torpedo working on haunt for show. My daughter is now 19 with a diamond ring on her finger. Time with kids blew by way too fast. My son is a senior in high school next year and in Marching Band..I have seen him and band 2-3 times during the half time show. I am going to have to find someone to replace me this fall running the haunt and corn maze a couple Friday nights so I do not miss his entire senior year like I did his junior year.

I talk to my friend Mark Roberts (haunt owner- prop maker with booth at Transworld, sets up escape rooms) and we are all in the same boat. WORK WORK WORK WORK. Talked with him for going on 3 years now setting up him taking his kids to Disney World. Guess I am going to have to come beat you two into submission; hog tie you; and drive your butts down there. Wish someone would have done same to me a little more.

Re read what you wrote for 6) talking about things you want to do for yourself and kids....and then THERE IT IS AT THE END..."Also we could focus more time working for OTHER clientss. Maybe I need to hold a seminar at Transworld about what to do besides work! Except I wouldn't be up front talking to the crowd; I would be walking up and down the rows of chairs stepping on toes figuratively (and physically by accident) looking them in the eye like a damn drill instructor until they cried. And honestly I don't think it would take much to have all us "bad ass haunters" weeping like babies thinking about what we are missing.

My excuses are just as good as everybody elses. Farmers Do NOT go to family weddings (cosuins) during spring planting or fall harvest. Missed some of them too. I am so f'n stupid I run a haunt during fall harvest! Why we shut down tickewt line of haunt on Sat night at 10:30.....so I can harvest or chisel plow through the night after crowds go home!!!!

You know...the more I think about it....hog tying you and Mark Roberts and dragging your asses to Disney World next Jan. sounds like a mission. WATCH OUT!

Wicked Farmer

Comment

As Wicked Farmer said, take the time off and do things with your kids, its more important than anything else cause once they are grown up its gone forever.

From a Disney annual pass holder stay away from D-Land / D-World at Christmas time way way to crowded. If you like the xmas holiday decorations go the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend thru Thursday before candle light procession are best. Once you get to the candle light procession its packed until January 5th. Book ahead of time and go on the disney cruise, crowds dont really matter on the boat.

On a selfish note:
      1) Would you want a behind the scenes tour of Creepyworld? Speaking for myself and my wife... Yes, but we understand if you cant or dont want to do a behind the scenes tour.
      2) Would you care if it was operated with or without actors or if it was short actors. Would prefer actors but also know full-staffing is going to be very difficult.
      3) Cost... show it, they will come.
      4) Does this sound good to you... Behind the Scenes tour just one on Thursday, Open Darkness with Actors on Friday, then finally Creepyworld on Saturday. Sounds great to me.

Comment

I want to see Creepyworld. I was very disappointed when you didn't do it this year. On your website from last years tour you announced this year was Creepyworld. So please do open Creepyworld.

Comment

Working...
        X