Giving too much away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving too much away...

Every year I cringe at the overwhelming amount of video and photos posted on social media and the Internet. Why is it that people feel the need to post every aspect of the industry to the general public? The veil of secrecy, of being able to buy something new that your guests have never seen before is completely ruined because now your guests will see it a dozen times from a dozen different sources. Does anyone else think we are opening up ourselves far too much now? How is it fun for our guests to see our big new prop or cool effect or costume and guests can immediately say "hey look, they got that new monster from Gore Galore!" I also noticed most people who post video and tons of photos aren't even owners but home Haunters and enthusiasts who want to show pics because they want their friends to think of them as "real" Haunters at a "real" Haunters show. When my actors or friends not in the industry tags me in the Krampus video or cool silicone masks I find it very annoying, it's my world as an owner and shouldn't be theirs as well.

It also strikes me as ridiculous to see people telling the public on your Facebook pages that you are going to the transworld show and posting pics of it. Why would you do that? Are you trying to educate people on getting into the business and potentially competing age isn't you? Transworld should be a PRO show for only PROS and can respect the line should exist between professional business owners and the public they serve and entertain. Peeling bank the curtain to show industry secrets and sources is as bad as a musician showing how they do their tricks and where to get their supplies.

Does anyone see this as a problem?

Allan

Amen brother!

Comment

Agree

I agree if you have no biz to attend at the show you should not be there. I think this is caused to by transworld being located to close to a lot of the big haunts. Let's see enthusiasts drive a hole day to get to the show or have to pay for the flight and I bet the number of people just going for the hell of it will drop. I could be wrong but I know a lot of the for the hell of it type of person would not go if the trip cost them double or triple the amount to attend. But how many real pro haunters vs enthusiasts attend the show? I think if they kicked all the lookers out it probably would kill ticket sales at least half but who knows except for transworld. That's why I buy older props that don't get made anymore if I can so I have some " one of a kind pieces" that turn the super enthusiasts head. Also I don't know why it's a big deal to have the show far when most people place orders and don't leave with anything( isn't that why people get ripped off because they place orders and never receive). I really think the show should tour and go multiple places but it would probably take to much planning. I agree!

Comment

A lot of would-be Haunters have no real ambition to ever turn pro but theycar in the transworld pipeline so they get to go. But since they have no skin in the game they don't appreciate th pros perspective and just post away, post away, post away! People telling their followers or posting it on your website you are going to transworld will not impress them or sell you tickets. Your customers expect you are planning and working year all they want is to come to your show and get scared. But by telling everyone your business and where you get your stuff only educates those who visit your show and want to do it for themselves. Why create competition for yourselves?

Allan

Comment

I've been a home haunter for the last 10 years.

I've attended Transworld for the last 4 years, this year included.

I've spent at least $1,000 on vendor product, plus transportation, plus hotel, plus admission, plus seminars each year.

This year, I will be starting as a commercial haunt. The seminar training from Transworld and some of the conventions prepared me for this leap. I wrote a business plan, got a loan, developed crisis management procedures, the whole lot based on what I've learned by paying my way through Transworld. This year I spent several thousand dollars at Transworld.

Even for the last 10 years as a home haunter, I've been every bit a "real haunter".

Don't want to post pictures or video of what you're putting in your haunt this year? Don't.

I saw the giant, person eating, monster prop being built on "Making Monsters", and it made me want to go to Maryland and see it at Bennett's Curse, which I did.

I'm not so insecure that I don't think I can handle some competition.
          Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
          http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

Here are all the pictures I post of new stuff before season

Wicked Farmer

Comment

I agree with this 100% - I like "hinting at" photos but nothing that completely gives anything away. However, I think this goes for vendors as well - when all the companies that are at the show are posting their product not only during, but even before the show on social media, it takes away a lot of incentive and definitely a lot of the wow factor... the show is becoming less and less crucial to actually attend when videos are being live streamed, companies are releasing product before hand and the seminars are full of folks who would rather tell the instructors their wrong than shut up and listen.
              Good deals with : brad, smiley, capt. chaos, fables studios

www.fearthegallows.com

Comment

Allan,

Totally agree. However, I've not seen any official business page on Facebook for any haunt post photos or videos from the show. I would wager that in an market, less than 1% of the consumer base that visits any attraction saw any posts/pictures/videos from Transworld. I've seen a TON of haunt specific groups (Haunters Hangout, Haunted Attraction Network, etc.) post a ton of media from the show...but those are like "clubs" on Facebook...that content is only visible to people within the industry.

So, in reality, it's two-fold. On one hand you are absolutely correct that this is something that haunts SHOULD NOT be doing...on the other hand, I think this "issue" is being drastically overstated and it's not a real issue to worry about.
                http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
                >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Comment

Abunai

You have a reason and biz at transworld. You are purchasing items and taking seminars. From what I have read on the threads is a lot of transworld attendees are there to screw around, party and post videos. Also there not spending one lick of there money except on the entrance fee. Would I go to a yacht convention if I had no real intention on buying a yacht probably not. Don't get me wrong I like yachts just would not waste my time or money on something to look at that I will never own or do.

Comment

Originally posted by Abunai View Post
                    I've been a home haunter for the last 10 years.

I've attended Transworld for the last 4 years, this year included.

I've spent at least $1,000 on vendor product, plus transportation, plus hotel, plus admission, plus seminars each year.

This year, I will be starting as a commercial haunt. The seminar training from Transworld and some of the conventions prepared me for this leap. I wrote a business plan, got a loan, developed crisis management procedures, the whole lot based on what I've learned by paying my way through Transworld. This year I spent several thousand dollars at Transworld.

Even for the last 10 years as a home haunter, I've been every bit a "real haunter".

Don't want to post pictures or video of what you're putting in your haunt this year? Don't.

I saw the giant, person eating, monster prop being built on "Making Monsters", and it made me want to go to Maryland and see it at Bennett's Curse, which I did.

I'm not so insecure that I don't think I can handle some competition.

Its not being insecure, no one my market can top me. It's about separating business resources for professionals from our potential customers before we've had the chance to show our guests first. And as far as someone being a real haunter, that may be open to interpretation but to be a pro haunter you can go to 30 transworlds shut until you start selling tickets and it's an official business you certainly aren't a pro haunter.

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by carnagecrew View Post
                      I agree with this 100% - I like "hinting at" photos but nothing that completely gives anything away. However, I think this goes for vendors as well - when all the companies that are at the show are posting their product not only during, but even before the show on social media, it takes away a lot of incentive and definitely a lot of the wow factor... the show is becoming less and less crucial to actually attend when videos are being live streamed, companies are releasing product before hand and the seminars are full of folks who would rather tell the instructors their wrong than shut up and listen.
                      I sgree. I saw pictures on Facebook before the show started!

Allan

Comment

My daughter showed me what seemed like hundreds of videos posted on Facebook alone, that Krampus even has Memes made using it already. The industry is way too overexposed now.

DA

Comment

I agree that it sucks seeing most of the vendors items before the show begins. But that is because I decided to look. And I also agree that very few people outside the industry ever follow these threads on facebook. A video and pics are one thing but being at the show and laying your hands on the item will always be better. Meeting the vendor is very important to me and you just can't do that unless you are there. Vendors love to flood social media before the show simply because they can pre sell the booth before the show begins and allow haunts to arrange transportation. To me it is a very effective marketing tool and sound business.
                          Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

Comment

i think this is point less....... movie trailers make you go see a movie most haunts show a trailer. The show needs to make sales and make people go i think every thing that gets seen can be a sale i don't think any thing is giving away too much. As a haunter its your job to take that prop and put your spin and scare on it. if you do just drop it in a room and light it woot woot go you. its our jobs to take what we buy and make more of it! also company's need to make sales this helps them if you do feel like your prop you bought at the show is a giveaway get with a company and make your 1 and only monster its your haunt your hands make the most there will always be giveaways a photo from a guest word of mouth this is why you make changes as much as you can it cant be stopped

Comment

Yes and No

I think that some of the pictures are a little much, but to a person who enjoys seeing them, I am glad to take a look. Shoot they may post a picture of something I missed. I think most people who are not in the industry would probably flip right past a news feed because it doesn't interest them until October. Can you give to much away... Yes. I think you can do that also, but if you use tact, it builds suspense and people can't wait to see it. Also, it is so different seeing it in person. All those pictures are one thing , but I took a friend for the first time this year and he was completely blown away and I had shown him lots of pictures and video of the show. I think the same goes for your big props and things. However just show enough to peak your audiences interest. Don't let them feel like they have walked through your haunt before they even go!!! This seems like it is going to be an even bigger challenge with an escape room and people talking. Does anyone have this problem? Giving things away...?

Comment

Working...
                              X