Myrtle Beach and Spookywoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myrtle Beach and Spookywoods

I'm vacationing in Myrtle Beach, and we just hit "Ripley's Asylum". For a year-round haunt, I thought it was pretty decent. Few actors (as you would expect), but they tried hard. They relied heavily on blackout areas, but it worked. The best scare actually came from an area that was pitch black, and had people whispering near our heads. They had several animations. I had low expectations, and it ended up being better than I anticipated.

I'm really hoping to get a peak at Spookywoods on our way through NC Friday on our way back to MI. I emailed them, but I'm sure they're slammed with work right now. Even if we just end up doing a drive-by, at least I'll finally get a peak at their amazing haunt!

There is one more haunt here in Myrtle Beach, but I'm not sure our schedule will allow enough time to visit.

There is an attraction here called Alien Encounter museum that was pretty enjoyable . It was more museum than show, but did include some alien themed areas.
    Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

While your at Spookywoods the zipline adventure is a must! You wont be disappointed! The whole place is awesome. Have fun!
    Greg
    Greg Allen
    scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
    www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

I went to Myrtle Beach and there was a couple haunts there one really blew hard... I'd rate it about a 2. There was another haunt the Ripley Adventure and they are all about the same. They are not bad, not great but not bad either. I'd rate those in the 6 to 7 range only because they are not super long, they lack some of the high end detail and animations. But they have incredible facades, elevator ride and at least the couple I've seen had really good actors.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

We actually just finished an attraction installation in Myrtle Beach in June of this year called Outbreak. It's located in the basement of the all new Hollywood Wax Museum Entertainment Complex near Broadway at the Beach. If you have a chance, check it out. We spared no expense and cram packed the attraction with state of the art special effects, animated characters, and actor effects. All of the animated characters inside, for instance, are silicone skinned and almost all of them have neck and mouth motions giving the zombies a lifelike feel you just won't get from latex and polyfoam. It is without a doubt the most detailed and high tech haunt in the Myrtle Beach area. It's our biggest project to date and we're really proud of it.

If you're interested, the story centers on a global conglomerate called ChemaCorp which has it's hands in many things including medical research and government contracting. A recent military contract to improve soldier performance on the battle field resulted in the production of Alpha Strain, a viral compound capable of altering a soldier's DNA producing increased strength, aggression, and resistance to bodily harm. Unfortunately, when Alpha Strain went into human trials something went terribly wrong killing all of the test subjects and reanimating them as blood thirsty zombies. You are there to assist with the clean-up and disposal efforts at the site. The military claims to have the situation under control now, so you should have nothing to worry about...
        Kip Polley
        www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
        We Engineer Fear

Comment

Originally posted by kpolley View Post
          We actually just finished an attraction installation in Myrtle Beach in June of this year called Outbreak. It's located in the basement of the all new Hollywood Wax Museum Entertainment Complex near Broadway at the Beach. If you have a chance, check it out. We spared no expense and cram packed the attraction with state of the art special effects, animated characters, and actor effects. All of the animated characters inside, for instance, are silicone skinned and almost all of them have neck and mouth motions giving the zombies a lifelike feel you just won't get from latex and polyfoam. It is without a doubt the most detailed and high tech haunt in the Myrtle Beach area. It's our biggest project to date and we're really proud of it.

If you're interested, the story centers on a global conglomerate called ChemaCorp which has it's hands in many things including medical research and government contracting. A recent military contract to improve soldier performance on the battle field resulted in the production of Alpha Strain, a viral compound capable of altering a soldier's DNA producing increased strength, aggression, and resistance to bodily harm. Unfortunately, when Alpha Strain went into human trials something went terribly wrong killing all of the test subjects and reanimating them as blood thirsty zombies. You are there to assist with the clean-up and disposal efforts at the site. The military claims to have the situation under control now, so you should have nothing to worry about...
          *SPOILERS*
          Thanks to your post, we did go to Outbreak! It was a very unique experience. I've never been through a haunt with such a large percentage of animatronics, and so much video animation. it was very cool and different! As best we could tell, the night we were there they had ONE actor working inside the haunt. One actor, and it still managed to feel like a real haunted house. A personal favorite of mine was the hall that contained animatronic zombie arms reaching for us on both sides. That was a fun effect! (Just FYI, I don't know if you're involved in the maintenance of the haunt or not, but one of the zombie arms is visibly damaged---partially de-skinned). The combo video animation/animatronic effects were also excellent. It's a unique high-tech haunt, and I'd recommend it to anyone in Myrtle Beach!

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tiki Studios View Post
            I'm vacationing in Myrtle Beach, and we just hit "Ripley's Asylum". For a year-round haunt, I thought it was pretty decent. Few actors (as you would expect), but they tried hard. They relied heavily on blackout areas, but it worked. The best scare actually came from an area that was pitch black, and had people whispering near our heads. They had several animations. I had low expectations, and it ended up being better than I anticipated.

I'm really hoping to get a peak at Spookywoods on our way through NC Friday on our way back to MI. I emailed them, but I'm sure they're slammed with work right now. Even if we just end up doing a drive-by, at least I'll finally get a peak at their amazing haunt!

There is one more haunt here in Myrtle Beach, but I'm not sure our schedule will allow enough time to visit.

There is an attraction here called Alien Encounter museum that was pretty enjoyable . It was more museum than show, but did include some alien themed areas.
            After we returned to Michigan, it turned out I had received a very generous invitation to tour Spookywoods, but hadn't viewed the correct email account until it was too late (our trip was over). The disconnect was 100% my fault. I want to thank Tony Wohlgemuth for having extended us the invitation, and I'm really, really bummed out that we didn't make it. I've been a huge fan of Spookywoods from afar for years. If we are ever anywhere remotely near NC in the future, I will definitely try again.

Comment

Working...
            X