Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All ages welcome at MHC??

Really?
    12 yrs and younger free admission to show floor? A kids zone?

"What's this? "
    "It's a fright lite".
    " why?"
    "Cause that's what we named it."
    "Why?"
    " cause that's what it does."
    "Why?"
    "Because you scare people when the light shines on your face."
    "Why?"
    "Go away kid" thinking to self!!

12 yrs old and younger on the show floor, huh? *sigh*

Not to mention all the T & A etc etc.

Seriously !!!

I previously owned a retail store chain in an industry that had children, along with adult customers. All the trade shows I attended yearly, the largest being HIA which was ranked in the top 5 in the world for attendance, All had age limits mainly for the vendors that spent $$$$ for booths, passing out info, and samples by some.
    Now to the ethical standard as stated above by HauntGR. I AGREE !00% ! I think vendors that have violence or bloody props, scenes, nudity possibly shouldn't be able to show their product. And no body painting......KIDDING...... but Seriously, what's the reason for this ??? My 2 cents in a world that is open to everyones opinions.

Comment

That is why I only go to Transworld. No kids.

Comment

Although we will not be taking our boys to MHC, I know for a fact my 5 year old would not be asking annoying questions. Instead he would be dreaming up some really elaborate storyline and scene ideas. He definitely has his mommy and daddy's passion for the haunt industry!

Comment

I'm actually excited to hear that... we haunters have it running in our veins and that means our kids as well. My kids are 12 and 14 and they want to go to Transworld because they want to help run the attraction. I think Transworld should allow you to bring your kids... who cares. IAAPA is a 10 times bigger show and they allow kids... why doesn't Transworld?

Happy to hear MHC is allowing kids. Haunters want to bring their kids because their kids look up to their parents and they get haunting in their blood. Bring it on!

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Mhc

12 & 14 are understandable; my 15 yr old would love to attend TW also.
            However, much younger than that?
            Does IAAPA have the extreme gore?
            Might just as well lift the R ratings on movies too...and video games.

Comment

All I can say is I had two of my friends kids out at the haunt last weekend and his 14 year old girl is a dam good actor and may get a chance at acting this year. and for his son he is very talented on a uni-cycle too. These guys have been brought up on horror films and haunting, so I don't think that the R rating doesn't really apply to them like other kids. They are not going to get nightmares from this stuff and I find a enthusiast come in all sizes. I know that Wicked Farmers daughter played his Gargoyle Shock last year at the age of 15 and did very well, and she was at TW too and nobody complained. I understand where you are coming from Jim and some kid are not ready to be out in public so to say.
              Phatman

Comment

I really don't have a problem with the gore. (Gore Galore is one of our favorite vendors!) If our kids are part of our lives as attraction owners they are going to be exposed to that stuff anyway in their regular home environment.

The thing that I have reserves on are the anatomically correct bodies that they had at Transworld. Kudos to the creators, they were amazing, but I am not going to lie and say I didn't feel a little wierd about looking at a fake man's penis. (That is stuff that even Rated R movies do not show.)

As for blood and gore... look around it is everywhere. It would be really hard nowadays to shelter your kids from that even if you weren't a part of our industry. I would rather show my kids how things are made, so they understand how the things protrayed on TV, movies and games are not real and would never be acceptable actions in the real world. However in the process they are able to build on their creative minds and learn to not be scared of "monsters" because they are not real.

My 5 year old loves to "shop" all the vendor catalogs we bring home and pick out the things we should buy by pointing them out and saying "Now that is creepy!" He is the concept genius. He can come up with a storyline and acting ideas for our scenes for days. Now my 8 year old, he wants to become both an engineer and an architect so he can design and build our attractions and create unique and innovative props.

Back to the main topic, we personally are not bringing our boys because we are traveling to MHC, will be attending a lot of seminars and participating in most of the after show events.. all of which are not conducive with having kids around. However, I will not be thinking differently of other parents who choose to take their kids. We all know our kids and what they can and can't handle.

I hope this helps give you some peace regarding your reserves on this topic.

Comment

Mhc

All very good feedback everyone. I love these forums when people can agree to disagree and be respectful of one another's opinions. Refreshing and insightful. Thanks fellow haunters!

Comment

It should be all ages for all haunt shows. It's not easy going away if you have kids and although my son isn't a a year old yet he will grow up in this business and eventually take it over if he so desires.

Allan

Comment

MHC will be featuring a 'kids zone' this year with some family friendly things for them. To my recollection, they have always been an all ages show and I've never heard of an issue with them. I took my kids fo HC a few years ago and while there was some 'scary' things there, they were ok as they have been exposed to it most of their lives.

They were a little freaked out at the giant Gore-Galore puppets that were at HC in Louisville until Kevin took the time to show them what they were and how they worked. After that, they wanted to play with them and no more fear. Having their faces painted by the Wolfe Brothers helped as well.
                      Last edited by Badger; 05-19-2014, 01:02 PM.
                      http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                      http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

I think most haunter's kids have grown up around all the blood and gore so it wouldn't be a problem. My daughter is 6 and isn't afraid of any of it. I'm ok with the body painting too. It's just some boobs...it's presented in an artistic way and I don't see anything sexual about it. My concern is there is always going to be a couple of parents that are going to let the kids run wild. One of them is not going to be paying attention and get to get too close to an animatronic and get smacked down by it. Of course the parents will sue the vendor out of business since they brought "dangerous animatronics" to the show that attacked their precious child. My daughter knows she better stay right next to us and be polite every time we go out but that seems to be a rare thing now.

Comment

Thats great!

My kids keep begging me to go to Transworld! Our kids are the future haunters of this world! Let them go!
                          Damon
                          www.frightmasters.weebly.com
                          Damon Carson

Comment

We need to start a petition to allow our kids into Transworld there is no reason not to ... none. IAAPA is 10 times bigger, 10 times more dangerous with rides and everything else... c'mon what is the big deal.

Larry
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President
                            www.HalloweenProductions.com
                            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Does Jen follow this forum? Let's get something going and get this through. Why can't kids of buyers come they allow actors to come and some of them act worse than kids, some owners too.

Allan

Comment

Working...
                              X