Hauntworld Magazine Issue 49 and 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry,

i alao do not think this is a great idea. I've learned that despite this being a creativity driven industry, a large percentage of people just aren't very creative. Most follow trends and jump on the latest bandwagons instead of developing and introducing new ideas. Also, our industry has its fair share of people who have no problem with receiving negative attention and are comfortable going against the grain and try to be rebellious. The guy with the distasteful and utterly disrespectful zombie nativity scene is a prime example. If you looked at that guys facebook page you would see that every post was about his tacky scene. He relished in the attention it brought him with no regard for how damaging it was for our public perception, something that many of us have worked years to elevate and grow in a positive light.

So, to put him in your magazine you are validating him as legit, even though he's not a haunter by any means as his show isn't a haunted house. It may also energize the less creative amongst us or attention seekers to copy his model. We should be distancing ourselves from these types of shows and demand they not leech off of the haunted attraction industry by trying to pass themselves off as a haunted house by name and branding.

Allan

Comment

Well again I don't see it that way... I do see your point and agree with your point of view. Where we don't see eye to eye is you can't just ignore something and hope it goes away we all know it doesn't work that way. I wanted Russ to write the article and I wanted Russ to explain his point of view on why the attraction got the pr, why he feels its a haunted house, why he feels this is safe, why he feels this is acceptable.

We already know that many or most will not agree, but to ignore the attraction and others like it is a mistake. The first time I heard about an attraction like this was on Travel Channel when they covered BLACKOUT another sick and twisted attraction. Can we really ignore they have 2 or 3 of these now in multiple cities? Why did Scarehouse open an attraction like this, and I know they are not the only haunted house who delved deep into this as part of their overall event.

Is this something that should continue to spread throughout the haunt industry? The only way to find out is to talk about it and you need both sides, every point of view to determine that how can we do that without getting someone to tell us. This isn't a featured attraction article meaning on Hauntworld's america's best page... no its a discussion about where the industry is going in the magazine.

The magazine or I should say magazines in general of any type all digital or printed what role do they really play in 2015 in any industry for business owners? If they can't help your business if they don't confront issues of the day they are worthless.

My intention is to help enlighten this industry any way I can. I think this industry is really at a crossroads here because... this industry is really under siege from failing haunters willing to do anything to spark some PR for their event. Almost anything is being considered... this article is a first step to get to the bottom of it.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I don't disagree with you when something gets this big we need to learn more. However that doesn't mean it needs to be featured in the magazine itself. Why not just debate and discuss the topic here on the forum? Just a thought!

Comment

Hauntworld Magazines purpose has become the promotion of the industry, Haunted Attractions and the vendors. This glossy magazine goes into the hands of sponsors and the media. This........content...... is not good on so many levels. I feel sorry for the haunts who have featured coverage in this issue. Hand it proudly to your family then they flip the page.....

This is a fad. We had zombie runs, then these Torture things, now this year it will be escape rooms. Let us hope these torture things fade. Escape rooms are essentially a "clean" version of these anyway.

Lets be real the only reason the media liked these is because they were nasty.

The reason Haunts were interested is because we are always grabbing for the next gimmick.

Russ can do what he wants, and Larry will publish what he wants, it is America after all.

But don't think for a minute the promotion of this content helps us, it does the exact opposite. Lets hope it fades into the dust bin of haunt history where it belongs.
          Last edited by Speculo; 02-09-2015, 02:40 PM.
          Ben Armstrong
          NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
          www.Fearworld.com
          www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Couple things...

One can anyone tell me if you got your magazine in the mail yet??? Please share your opinions of the new issue!

Two specifically to Ben I do NOT disagree with anything you said not one word. We are in total agreement.

The magazine will feature an article from me on the subject consider it more like a point counter point type of article. I really felt the industry would like to get the inside scoop from the horses mouth on this subject. To be honest I'd love to hear someone like Scott Simmons from Scarehouse and get his point of view on why he's doing what he's doing. I doubt he will but that would actually be the best insight from him. With that being said hearing from the person who operated without any doubt the most covered attraction in 2015 I feel is important.

I DO NOT agree with torture attractions its NOT why I'm doing the issue. I think once you see the issue I will make that clear.

But as we know this industry is really branching out in several different directions what is right and what is wrong?

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President

Comment

HELL YEAH bring it on! I want to read about it I'd love to hear the details about what makes it tick. Does it mean I agree with it or want to replicate it no but I still want to read about it. Don't see the big deal.

Comment

Based on the photos this haunt looks scarier than scary yikes. Seems like someone is going to get hurt and really give the industry some bad publicity. I feel that it's a matter of when not if someone gets hurt these attractions will be tied to haunted houses hurting everyone in the end.

They should not be called haunted houses.

Comment

In just another post on this subject... yes I agree I think someone is going to get hurt. I don't disagree!

BTW I will post an early look at the cover later today get your subscription at
                  www.hauntedhousemagazine.com

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President

Comment

To answer your question, we have not yet received our copy of the magazine and I would think (depending on what batch our subscription is mailed with) we would be next day delivery if they are shipped from STL. I will let you know when we do get it though.

Nicci Fears
                    Fearsome Entertainment, LLC
                    Phobius Haunted House

Comment

Hauntworld mag

I received my issue today. I enjoyed the article about costuming by Ben. I definitely have a few costumes that are awesome BUT no one will wear them because of comfort/heat/etc. I also liked the 3D article. I built a 3D haunt about 3 years ago. It is an excellent 2nd attraction and if you have the space, do it. I did fall for the "flat wall artwork only" thing. Nope. Wrong. You hit it. It has to be built 3D also.

I am also not a fan of the extreme haunts. If you like them, cool. Just not my deal. Focus on your main haunt and make it awesome is good solid advice. Take your market and dominate it. That has been my philosophy for 5 years and so far I believe we are achieving it. See you guys in a month.

Buck
                      Capt.Chaos
                      Fear Asylum Haunted House
                      Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

Nicci,

They are big and heavy and take a lot of stamps so they might not show up the next day even in St Louis. However I'm surprised you didn't get this already.

Today is WED and the last batch of these magazines went into the mail for Monday ... hmmm. If you have a current subscription and you didn't get anything contact Patti at info@hauntworld.com

Capt... glad to hear you liked the magazine. Check out the cover for the next issue!!! What do you think? This cover is just the basic version stuff will be added to it to finish it. Believe it or not this next magazine is actually almost done already.

01 hw3__mag_cover_final2.jpg

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President

Comment

I think I dated that girl one time
                          Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                            I think I dated that girl one time
                            Well....that explains a few things.

Wicked farmer

Comment

UPDATED COVER... much better huh? This magazine will featured an article from 13th Gate about make up, another one from Headless Horseman on how to make money with retail and food, we have the extreme haunts articles one from Russ and one from me... and the Letter from the Editor which is a really good one this time around. What do you think of the cover?

Lastly we could fit another haunted house in this issue for a featured article... if you want to be featured CONTACT ME! Get your subscription at www.hauntedhousemagazine.com

Screen shot 2015-02-13 at 11.27.21 AM.png
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President

Comment

DSC01611.JPGDSC01628.JPGDSC01636.JPGDSC01640.JPG
                                Larry Kirchner
                                President

Comment

Working...
                                X