Spanish moss tips from Moss4U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish moss tips from Moss4U

Hello out there in haunt land. My name is Ron Ortiz and I just joined. You can read my profile in the "Introduce Yourself" thread.

I am the owner of Moss4U. I will be posting tips about mosses for the haunting industry. You can reach me anytime with questions or comments.

SPANISH MOSS STAGES:

FRESH / LIVE
    Florida Spanish moss is harvested out of huge oak trees, laid out on concrete, cleaned for twigs, leaves and branches, sprayed with an organic pesticide, boxed, and then shipped out. It is a live plant that needs to breathe, the boxes have holes for this reason. When you get it you should take it out of the box and fluff it up, then put back in the box. You should do this every other day or so as it need to breathe. DO NOT WATER as this will create mold. When ready to use, simply place and spread it out to your desired effect.

When Spanish moss is fresh it is very soft and pliable. When a mild wind blows, it's whispering for that special effect. It can be spread out thin or bunched together for different visual effects. It has a slight greenish gray color. Fresh Spanish moss is inexpensive.

If you choose you can place it in trees outdoors and let it continue to grow. Tips on growing will come later.

SUPER DRIED:
    Spanish moss is dried by either spreading it out on the ground or concrete and sun dried, or oven rooms, or kilns. Dried Spanish moss is pliable but much stiffer than fresh. It does not flow with the breeze and has a tendency to be slightly brittle. It has a tan/gray color and cost more due to processing. Super dried moss will not grow if you put it outdoors, it is dead.

DYED:
    This is the same as super dried, just dyed different colors. It has the same characteristics as the super dried, yet more expensive. It too is dead.

So there you have it, a general summary of the different stages of Spanish moss. We will be posting next time about other mosses and application practices to make it easier on you. Thanks, later.

www.Moss4U.com
    941-662-5695
    moss4you@gmail.com

I've used Spanish moss in the past for some special effect. It required a fire retardant treatment because it falls under "Combustible fibers". That pretty much killed it, and made it a bit more brittle. Naturally it has a pretty high flammability rating.

http://www.fireretardantcoating.net/...s_11-29-12.pdf
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Well that's if you're using it inside, and totally understandable for safety sake. But outside...in a trail, it's not an issue in most places, we'll be using some to attach to trees for a creepy look and we are trying to keep them alive.

Comment

Thanks for the info we always went just took it off the trees when we were in Texas and we did get some critters some times.
        Phatman

Comment

rfsystems, dried moss is flammable as it's water content has been removed. Fresh Spanish moss is not retardant, it's wet. Try lighting it on fire with a torch, it's aggravating. But, like you said, when a fire retardant was applied it made it brittle, as, turning it into dried. Not sure what you would use in it's place, fake Spanish moss? Wouldn't that be flammable?

screamforadream, up coming post will cover how to grow, or keep alive Spanish moss, and applications.

austind, get the moss from the trees, not the ground. The ground stuff got's chiggers.

www.Moss4U.com These are burning questions

Comment

Working...
          X