Change Regarding My NHC Participation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Regarding My NHC Participation

A few weeks ago, I was invited to be a speaker at National Haunters Convention by a convention staff member.

After encouragement from other staff members, varied fellow haunters, and the con organizers, I accepted the invitation, decided on a topic, and sent a summary and bio to the convention.

Since then, I've been told I'm speaking. I've also been told I'm not speaking. I've been told a great many things by varied people connected to National Haunters' Convention, and no two story is the same. I've not heard directly from the convention organizers, although I've sent several emails to these gentlemen in regard to my status. These emails have not been answered, though I see Michael Bruner has been posting requests for more speakers.

It is therefore with some regret that I am saying no, I will not be speaking at NHC, and my years of working to support this convention are at an end. If you are one of the people that encouraged me to make this step in my haunting career, I thank you for the support. If you are one of the people that had planned to come to my talk, I'm considering an invitation to speak at Hauntcon, and I certainly invite you to join me there.

- Dusti Lewars

Speakers

Dusti, Don't give up so easy. It's wicked hard to set up a convention like this, Like any haunted house at halloween, things slip through the cracks.
    George Maser 864-761-7223, masertents@gmail.com. For the fastest response please call or text! (I talk much better than I type)

Comment

Who really cares who speaks or don't speak... I personally am going to give it up after this year. I'm not going to speak any where ... I think like you am done with it.

I've done seminars at tons of shows like IAAPA, Transworld, Fun Expo, and a few others, and I can tell you its just an ego thing for some people.

Some people would PAY to be a speaker just to thump their chest and act like a big shot, so I'm starting a new trend of not speaking! LOL

See the opposite effect... you are so damn smart, so damn good at what you do that you are above it all, that makes you even MORE important. LOL

No seriously I think I'm just a little bored of so much haunted house stuff and I need a break from it all... once this show is over I'm not going to think about haunted houses for like ummm a month or two! I'm really burnt out over here.

We have been doing haunt stuff non-stop because of this tour. And speaking well it just really seems to interfere with enjoying the show. Dusti just take the time to enjoy yourself and have a better time while at the event.

Good luck to ya!

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

George - I appreciate your words; alas, I've worked with enough cons to know the difference between a dropped ball and a lack of professionalism. Unfortunately, the latter applies here. But! This is me moving on.

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
        Some people would PAY to be a speaker just to thump their chest and act like a big shot, so I'm starting a new trend of not speaking! LOL

See the opposite effect... you are so damn smart, so damn good at what you do that you are above it all, that makes you even MORE important. LOL
        Indeed! 20 years of haunting VS an hour of speaking..eh. I'd rather go put the time and energy into building something.

No seriously I think I'm just a little bored of so much haunted house stuff and I need a break from it all... once this show is over I'm not going to think about haunted houses for like ummm a month or two! I'm really burnt out over here.
        Find things that feed your soul, Larry. You've been doing this stuff for way too long to let burn-out get to you.

Good luck to ya!
        And to you!
        Have a great TW!

Comment

helpful

I should have left a contact # HNC Neil Young 262-549-5566
          George Maser 864-761-7223, masertents@gmail.com. For the fastest response please call or text! (I talk much better than I type)

Comment

Come on Dusti. Don't you think it's time to tell the truth?

Comment

Speaking for a living!

You guys should try doing this for a living! I am a professional speaker in my industry, and my job is to line up speaking engagements and present all over the world. some 50+ speeches a year (and sometimes more). Its a lot of work, and I dont think people always appreciate the work that goes behind preparation and the whole thought process into planning a speaking engagement.

In my line of work, vendors often have to pay sponsorships or exhibit to get a speaking slot, which really sucks because the good speakers are not willing to pay to play. I certainly shy away from those arrangements myself as the whole program tends to suck.

Larry, you have the right idea. Hang low, speak nowhere, but be a presence. Its much more fun and rewarding!

Travis Russell
              Big T Productions Inc
              Technologist, Professional Speaker, Author, Inventor, and Fellow Haunter!

Visit www.theplagueonline.com today!
              Travis "Big T" Russell
              President
              Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Working...
              X