Wall and Foam construction ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall and Foam construction ?'s

So, for those of you that use foam board and carve out rocks etc. I got a question. On walls that will not be touched, is there any reason to skin it with Luan or something? I mean, if you have a frame and center support, couldn't you secure it well enough with that if it's not gonna be touched?

Any of you build walls and assemble later? I mean, plan out the brick walls etc, and build in a seperate location? Or do you guys build onto the structure of the haunt and then shape it out?

We're fixing to try and build a mock room for a photoshoot and was curious. None of the videos I have really answers these.

Thanks,

Dewayne

Walls

I would recommend skinning it for extra support. The extra $10 you spend will be well worth it especially after the foam work. You would hate to have something happen to it.

My worthless .3 cents

Chaos
    Capt.Chaos
    Fear Asylum Haunted House
    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

built walls outside of haunt

I build all my foam mason walls outside of the haunt and attach after completion. I take the foam sheathing and attach to piece of ply wood using Loctite PL300 Foamboard VOC Adhesive then set another piece of plywood on top of it. let it set for a couple of hours. then I lay out the bricks cut, cut it, coat it, then attach it. The nice thing about doing it that way is that you can move it each season.
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

"Loctite PL300 Foamboard VOC Adhesive"

wow, what a mouthful of a name haha. Yeah, I think I know what you're saying. Basically shape the foam and put it on later right?

This is my first year as a "pro" haunt> If ya wanna call it pro :P So I'll be working on a budget which means most of my skins will be ... GOOD GAWD i can't think of the word now, Partical Board. Right now dad can get it at about $5.00 a sheet. So I'm fixing to load up on that crap! haha. Heavy yes, but much cheaper than Luan (here anyways)

Comment

One thing I would do if you want it to be really real and also add more protection, is to use "monster mudd".
          It adds a more aged rock like look to what ever you use it on. You can also use it to make a rusty look and feel to sets as well.
          I'm not a pro at mixing it, but you really dont need to be.
          **monster mudd mix: PRE MIX drywall mudd [it is much ceaper to buy it like this, it lasts longer and you dont have to mix it. you can buy it by the 5gl bucket for around $15], paint [any color works, but mix it up with a combo of colors to get it perfect] and sand [used or fresh bagged, plus any dirt and small rocks and stuff you feel like adding, {maybe some water for thining}.
          Mix each part together to it feels right, it should be able to be painted on with a brush and should be think enough so when its dry it has a nice think coat!
          make it in small batches so you can store whats left over in a old paint can or anything air tight.
          PS. trow some dirt and dust on it when its dry to just really make it pop!
          Just an idea

Comment

Yeah, I'm HUGE fan of MM. Our recipe is take a 5 gallon bucket of mud, dip about 3/4 of a gallon out and put into saran wrap and seal it in a tub. Then take a industrial drill with a huge spatter and mix the batch. Once it thins a bit, start pouring our base colored latex paint. And we don't Skimp on the paint, we usually get a $25 quality paint. Once it's mixed, depending on our application, we may then take a few cups out of the completed mixture, then we'll add in more mud for a thickener.

We add sand to ours as needed from project to project. Haven't used it much on walls yet, but tons of MM monsters etc. We've made wells with it, um, we made a fake dirt mound with it. Which was cool. At one of our parties there was a large hole in the ground where the entrance to the maze was at. So with permission, we dug it out a bit more and made room for an actor. We put our Graveyard there and this "fresh mound" We used chicken wire, burlap and a thin wooden frame. After we coated it we dusted the crap out of it with cement and dirt / dust. It looks very real. Anyways, as the party goers would enter, our actor would throw up the fake grave dirt mound and scared the crap out of literally everyone that went in! No one was expecting it.

So yeah, 3 cheers to Monster MuD!

Thanks for the suggestion though. Have more? I'd love to hear em. We're getting pumped. We're getting very close to getting one of the three buildings we're looking at.

Thanks,

Dewayne

Comment

Amen 3 cheers to monster mudd!
              I love the fake dirt mound... you wouldnt mind if I used the idea would you? lol

Comment

Shoot no! It'd be nice to know my idea is liked enough to be used! If you can't make the hole deep enough for them to stand in, just have them lay on their back, my mound was almost enough to do that with alone, find a small enough person and you may not have to dig one! Just have them lay under it.

Just design it so you don't have to use as much mud, it gets heavy and too small of a person won't get the speed you'd need for a great scare.

Dewayne

Comment

Originally posted by Frightener View Post
                  Shoot no! It'd be nice to know my idea is liked enough to be used! If you can't make the hole deep enough for them to stand in, just have them lay on their back, my mound was almost enough to do that with alone, find a small enough person and you may not have to dig one! Just have them lay under it.

Just design it so you don't have to use as much mud, it gets heavy and too small of a person won't get the speed you'd need for a great scare.

Dewayne
                  Spunds great.. im really going to have to use it this year!
                  Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X