Best controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best controller

As tw creeps around the corner we are all getting ready to purchase new products. I'm looking for a controller that can control video, animations, lighting and sound. Does anyone know if there is a controller with all of these capabilities?

Boo boxes and the scare master from Fright Ideas. We use then throught our haunt and for our animatronics. They make a great product.
    Tim McCall

Comment

I second Boo Boxes, they are easy to program, reliable, and very easy to edit. and if you are sellign them on a prduct to a cutomer they are easy to trouble shoot and fix. i use them for simplicity and they are reasonably priced.
      The Care Taker
      John "DarkTombCreations.com"

Comment

I ordered one of these

http://www.frightprops.com/controlle...plus-0976.html

It's the picoboo plus. I don't think you can do video control with it, but I really don't know.

Have yet to work with it yet. I heard they make awesome controllers, so we're gonna give them a whirl.

Comment

TADAAA!!!!!

http://www.frightprops.com/digital-v...ayer-720p.html

This is the new video player from Fright Props. I already got a few of these on the list to order at Transworld.

The Pico Controllers, which they have a ton of different models, are easy to use. Plus they have program functions built in so if you need to change or program a show, it only takes a few seconds. No laptops needed which in my opinion saves a bunch of wear and tear for my laptop. After all, haunts can be dirty.

The Boobox controllers are for more complicated scenes. They can do just about anything and they are easily programed with a Boobox Programmer. Still no Laptop needed…

All these controllers can be triggered by button, pressure pad, and beam or motion sensor. They come with easy to understand color photos to help with wiring.

If you are going to Transworld I would recommend picking up their catalog. We have 5 of them roaming around our haunt and refer to them as “the bible”

Brian Mudgett
          Scream Apocalypses
          Vancouver, WA

Comment

I used to be a big fan of the boo box myself however, Kip Polley turned me on to the efxtek easy 8 controller and it blew away the boo box in my opinion. 8 separate controls easy to program with push buttons no computer needed and a great price to.
            I urge you to check them out at the show. I hear they have some new products coming out that will raise the bar in controllers.

Just my opinion guys!
            Greg
            Greg Allen
            scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
            www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Boobox

I think the Boobox products are the most versatile and easiest to use in the industry. The products are designed for professionals and home haunters alike. They have models that range from 2 tracks right up to 16 tracks.

Comment

I couldn't agree more with Greg. The EZ-8 from EFX-TEK is, in my opinion, the BEST controller available to the haunt industry. It is very easy to use, incredibly affordable, and comes with the best customer service in the industry. Check EFX-TEK out at TW and I promise you'll be a believer!

As for video controllers...we (Pale Night Productions) actually sell the solid state video player that we use on all of our video integrated animatronics. Here's a link to the player...

http://www.brightsign.biz/products/hd410.php

We actually sell them for a few bucks less than the manufacturer and we include the trigger cables for it too! They are extremely powerful and very reliable. Just a few high points that set our player apart from those that other vendors use and sell...

Full 1080P HD Video Playback
                HDMI Output
                Highly Reliable Platform Intended of 24 Hour Operation
                Completely Customizable Playback Programming
                Support for Multiple Video Files

Come by and see us in booths 423, 523 for more info! Thanks.
                Kip Polley
                www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
                We Engineer Fear

Comment

Kip I totally agree with you on the video controller. We have a few of your effects and the quality is awesome. You also helped us pick up some extra video controllers for some of our in house effects and we couldn’t be happier. Thanks again for that.

Regarding the EFX-TEK controllers, they are ok controllers. However, sometimes I might see the timing is a little off on an animation or scene. With the Pico controllers and the onboard programming buttons, I can use the 30 second window between groups to sneak in and change the show without anyone catching me. If I had to bring in a laptop to change the show, you’re talking minutes Vs. seconds. Also everything on the PicoBoo controllers are labeled which makes wiring faster for me. I know it’s just my opinion but the “Boo” controllers seem easier and faster to work with. Time is important.

Regarding costumer service, I can’t really answer that because I have never had a Pico, BooBox or honestly anything from them (fright props) break down. We have about 80 controllers and MP3 players at our haunt and they control everything from animation, startle effects, lighting, fog, and audio.

Kip, I am looking forward to see what you and Pale Nights again break the mold with this year…

Brian Mudgett
                  Scream Apocalypses
                  Vancouver, WA

Comment

By the way, I have never used an EZ-8 before. I was referring to the 2 and 4 channel controllers because most of my large animations would come with a gilderfluke or my favorite, the BooBox Flex. Kip and Greg, the EZ-8 is new to me, can you enable buttons to make programing easier? I can understand using a computer to program an 8 channel animation. However, for complex scenes I would use smaller controllers and beam sensors to get the timing just right since group speeds tend to flex.

Brian Mudgett
                    Scream Apocalypses
                    Vancouver, WA

Comment

related to video controllers

I want to do an effect that would have the same creature move from TV to TV, then at the end my costumed character, the same on in the TVs would pop out.

Will any of these controllers to this>
                      Ed Roberts
                      Founder
                      The Nightmare Factory
                      www.nightmarefactorysalem.com
                      www.westcoasthauntersconvention.com

Comment

Hey nightmare,
                        You could use many different controllers to create that effect. We also sell, program, and install all show controllers as well as video repeaters. For this effect you would want multiple video repeaters or you could get away with a video switcher that would route the signal to different monitors. Let me know if you need any assistance. Dark Tech Effects will be assisting Darklight systems at Transworld and be available for all your show control, lighting, and A/V needs.
                        Best,
                        Bill Rod
                        Bill Rod.
                        Dark Tech Effects
                        Automated DMX Lighting
                        Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

Bill thank you for the reply.

Wont be at transworld this year, but we would love to have you and Dark Tech out to the west coast haunters convention in June, ask Quan about the show, he's been coming to it for two years.

Ed Roberts
                          Ed Roberts
                          Founder
                          The Nightmare Factory
                          www.nightmarefactorysalem.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brianmudgett View Post
                            TADAAA!!!!!

http://www.frightprops.com/digital-v...ayer-720p.html

This is the new video player from Fright Props. I already got a few of these on the list to order at Transworld.

The Pico Controllers, which they have a ton of different models, are easy to use. Plus they have program functions built in so if you need to change or program a show, it only takes a few seconds. No laptops needed which in my opinion saves a bunch of wear and tear for my laptop. After all, haunts can be dirty.

The Boobox controllers are for more complicated scenes. They can do just about anything and they are easily programed with a Boobox Programmer. Still no Laptop needed…

All these controllers can be triggered by button, pressure pad, and beam or motion sensor. They come with easy to understand color photos to help with wiring.

If you are going to Transworld I would recommend picking up their catalog. We have 5 of them roaming around our haunt and refer to them as “the bible”

Brian Mudgett
                            Scream Apocalypses
                            Vancouver, WA
                            I will definitely be using the fright props video player with a pick boo! I had no clue they carried those. Thanks!

Comment

How about the Arduino Uno?

I have about 5-6 of the Arduino Uno boards. It is similar to the Prop 1 from EFX-TEK in the way it works, but probably just a little tougher to learn to use. I have a stronger manufacturing background than most people out there. I chose the Arduino as there seemed to be more documentation and a wide range of industries it is used in. At $30 and with the number of inputs/outputs you get, it is by far the cheapest thing out there I have found. If you want something that is simpler and more plug-n-play then I wouldn't recommend going this route.
                              Last edited by Skeered; 01-29-2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X