Building walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building walls

Can anyone give me some ballpark figures for what it costs in materials to build 100 4x8 fire treated walls? And how many walls do you roughly need to operate a 5000 sq ft haunt? Thanks!!

This number is going to be different based on what materials you use, what room sizes you want, how many hallways, rooms etc. you are building.....it is going to be hard to give an exact dollar figure. You can figure if you use plywood walls with 2x4s that are double-sided they will cost around $32 here before paint and fire shield. So, I would figure $30-$50 per panel depending on the dressing they get. So, as long as you use them wisely and use mostly double-sided panels you can save some money. For a 12x12 room you're looking at around $400? and thats 144 sq. ft. so you can kinda add it up with your layout. Hope this helps, but there are so many factors to it that it is hard to get an exact answer.

Comment

Is there a fire shield that you recommend for painted walls? I saw that Scare Products has an additive for latex paint and New York Fire Shield Inspecta-Shield is applied afterwards, is there a preference?

Comment

You ask ur Marshal what he wants and use that or any off the list he prefers. ALWAYS please your marshal

Comment

You may be able to save money if you can fireproof the wood yourself. Ask your fire marshal if wood has to be treated by a certified fire applicant in your area. If not, then buy a couple five gallon drums of fire retardant and spray it on your 4x8 plywood before you paint it (wood must be untreated).

Otherwise I'd recommend buying pre-fire-proofed wood.

I'd say you could spend $3000-4000 to completely get fireproofed wood for a 5000sq ft haunt....if you paint and fireproof all the walls yourself.

Comment

I got just over a 3000 square foot haunt. I have about 90 4x8 double sided panels and about 50' worth of shorter panels for odd places. This just quite did not cover my haunt space. I had 7-8 rooms 125-150ft average size. Ended up building an extra 50' worth of wall to fill in what I needed. This does not include 150' of existing outer wall inside my building either.

I bought about 600-700 2x4's from a remodel for $200 that I used for framing. I also used OSB that cost me just under $6 per sheet last year. Actual cost is about $14 per panel to construct. Add about $5 per panel for oil based primer and latex paint. About $18-$19 total cost. A distant relative owns a painting business. After I painted all my panels he told me he could have gotten me cheap oil based black paint for $8 gallon which would saved me the primer step. I ended up doing 1 primer and 2 latex coats to make the OSB fairly smooth. I was concerned that the OSB would be a little rough on average when compared to plywood. 1st night of the haunt went good and I have never thought about the texture again. I am in an unincorporated area so I didn't have to fire retard my panels. This year I probably will probably look into a paint additive and go over everything this go around.

Comment

Fire Retardent

Originally posted by Skeered View Post
              I got just over a 3000 square foot haunt. I have about 90 4x8 double sided panels and about 50' worth of shorter panels for odd places. This just quite did not cover my haunt space. I had 7-8 rooms 125-150ft average size. Ended up building an extra 50' worth of wall to fill in what I needed. This does not include 150' of existing outer wall inside my building either.

I bought about 600-700 2x4's from a remodel for $200 that I used for framing. I also used OSB that cost me just under $6 per sheet last year. Actual cost is about $14 per panel to construct. Add about $5 per panel for oil based primer and latex paint. About $18-$19 total cost. A distant relative owns a painting business. After I painted all my panels he told me he could have gotten me cheap oil based black paint for $8 gallon which would saved me the primer step. I ended up doing 1 primer and 2 latex coats to make the OSB fairly smooth. I was concerned that the OSB would be a little rough on average when compared to plywood. 1st night of the haunt went good and I have never thought about the texture again. I am in an unincorporated area so I didn't have to fire retard my panels. This year I probably will probably look into a paint additive and go over everything this go around.
              Fire retardent does not penetrate the OSB due to the chemicals use to make OSB better re-coat them over the paint, if you are ever going to be inspected.

Shawn
              Twisted Woods

Comment

Working...
              X