Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for a clown house?

Hey guys,
    Does anyone have any cheap/easy/unique room ideas my clown themed home haunt?
    I was thinking a stuffed animal room with them all hanging on the wall etc, then having a actor in some sort of mascot costume jumping out.
    Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Fright
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Dot room, tin foil room (I think Allen calls it a baked potato room :P), a room full of jack in the boxes, spinning wheel of death, clown makeup room (Mirrors with lights around them), costume room (hang up costumes from a clothes line the people have to walk through), show room (more so for a circus, but you could have a woman sawn in half), concession stand, cotton candy cocoons (ala Killer Klowns from Outer Space), and a strobe hallway with hanging pool noodles (Seems silly, but very affective!)
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Could also do a fun mirror hallway or a clown portrait hallway with drop panels.
      Zach Wiechmann
      www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Zach,
        Thanks so much for the answers! I am going to try the dot room, jack in the box room, try to make the spinning wheel (any ideas on how to create that?), I like the costume room idea kind of like what haunt ventures had, I am going to do a concession stand, and a strobe hallway with hanging pool noodles. I want to make a dark hallway with a strobe and have bowling pins hanging, but i have no idea how to create them.... i was thinking some sort of foam? any ideas?
        Chris Riehl
        Sales@spookyfinder.com
        (586)209-6935
        www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

As far as the spinning wheel, I'm not really sure how to pull it off. I was lucky enough to have a friend of mine's father build one for me for twenty dollars! I'd take pictures but everything's in storage unfortunately. Perhaps someone else could chime in?

As far as the bowling pins, I'm sure you could cast an actual pin and get some self skinning foam. Not my area of expertise, so perhaps someone could chime in about that too!
          Zach Wiechmann
          www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

"As far as the I'm sure you could cast an actual pin and get some self skinning foam. Not my area of expertise, so perhaps someone could chime in about that too!"

That is a good idea!
            Fright
            Chris Riehl
            Sales@spookyfinder.com
            (586)209-6935
            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Originally posted by Front Yard Fright View Post
              As far as the bowling pins, I'm sure you could cast an actual pin and get some self skinning foam. Not my area of expertise, so perhaps someone could chime in about that too!
              A one-piece silicone glove mold with a simple 2-piece plaster bandage support shell would last for a few dozen casts at the very least and not cost much more than an alginate mold, a stone mold would be a bit more labor involved to get perfect seams on such a smooth and curvy object, but cost about the same as a silicone mold. Another benefit to the silicone mold is it is inherently non-stick. a little dawn dish soap and 99% alchohol would make it even easier to release, but wouldnt be necessary. frends beauty supply carries everything you'd need for pretty darn cheap. foam included.

and as far as haunt ideas for you, Clowns are a natural fit for UV haunts. The glow kinda sets things over the big top a bit. Since this is a home haunt, maybe look into 2 dozen or so reusable Chromadepth glasses and you can really mess with peoples perception. ESPECIALLY in dot or sripe rooms. Blacklight effects also open up a lot of possibilities as far as hiding what you DONT want seen until its time. Wildfire pigments are AMAZING for scenic design, and though they're higher priced than most uv paints, the uv pigments are SUPER saturated and a very little bit can go a loooooooong way, not to mention they're designed for color mixing. (wildfire pigment+white acrylic paint= Pastel UV colors, UV red + blood red acrylic paint= deep/rich/earthy uv red)
              -Mat

Comment

Cirque Du Soleil had a cool picture online that I can't find, but I thought it would be a cool distraction in a clown room. The clown was bouncing on a rubber tire tube and the tube was painted the same design as his costume. I want that guy in our Haunt somewhere this year.

Comment

Icarian,

Do you have any ideas on how to paint the bowling pins?
                  I appreciate your input!
                  Fright
                  Chris Riehl
                  Sales@spookyfinder.com
                  (586)209-6935
                  www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Wellinton,
                    That sounds like a really cool idea!
                    Fright
                    Chris Riehl
                    Sales@spookyfinder.com
                    (586)209-6935
                    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

The easiest way to paint them (assuming you're going for rigid foam?) would be to pigment the foam itself white before you cast. then it'd just take some acrylic paint for the stripes, and some thinned brown/grey paint for aging and distressing. (a couple cans of 97 cent spray paint from wal-mart and a crumpled plastic bag would totally work for distressing too). as far as making them glow, you could always add some cryptolite to the pigmented foam and paint the finishing detail with UV reds and earth tones. that would give you the glowing-blue/white look to the pins pretty simply.

i did just notice that you want to hang these... i'd STRONGLY suggest embedding the rope or cable in the pins when you cast them... the foam will fuse to the rope perminantly and be less likely to be pulled down or snapped off at the neck of the pin (where the rope would be if you tied them up)
                      -Mat

Comment

theres a nice tutorial in the youtube video section on here about a clown room theme.
                        Senior Operator of Forest Of Fear at The Utica Zoo
                        Visions Of Fear Productions

Comment

Where would we find that? Under what heading?

Comment

heres the direct link
                            http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_ho...36-How-To-Tips
                            Senior Operator of Forest Of Fear at The Utica Zoo
                            Visions Of Fear Productions

Comment

Thanks guys for all the answers!
                              Chris Riehl
                              Sales@spookyfinder.com
                              (586)209-6935
                              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Working...
                              X